Cant even Change Wheels! (nore stupidity with me and my 6)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cant even Change Wheels! (nore stupidity with me and my 6)
So today is dry. I think lets get the wheels changed over at last and see how it looks.

So i get all the new (well they're new to me) wheels out (oz ultraleggeras) and the bolts and new locking nuts. Copperslip everything. For once i think i'll be prepared so as i don't have to get copperslip over all my tools as i copperslip as i go along. Y

Get the old wheels off and go to put new wheels on

And just as is the way with everything with me and this car, the bolts are too long!

I call up performance alloys and they say that is what Oz would supply with their fitting kit for the 306gti!

So i check again. And of course it starts p**sing it down. And then i manage the bash my head on corner of garage [Image: smile.gif]

So with the Cyclones the length of thread presented to the hub is 18mm (i.e the bit visible from the other side of the wheel) but with the Oz wheels it's 23mm.

So i call up PerformanceAlloys again and they said they can order up bolts 5mm shorter but they haven't sold those bolts in M12 1.25 for ages.

I'm guessing a big part of it is that the Oz bolts are tapered and the Cyclone bolts are flat washer.

Think i'll try and get to a motorfactors before it gets too late and see what they have in stock. But i thought i'd ask here before i go off buying stuff that won't fit.

To cap it off i bought MacGards which will be too long too now! But that's what the Halfords system said. Karma kicked me in the arse for then buying off ebay because they were 13quid cheaper.

Imagine me trying to fit an intercooler or supercharger! Nevermind my planned worth on the suspension and steering rack! I'm betting have 16mm ball joints when what i've got coming is 18mm or vice versa [Image: biggrin.gif]

So can somebody please confirm that i'm not going mad or doing something stupid and that 18mm presented is correct and with a taper bolt i'm wanting somthing like 19/20 mm thread M12 x 1.25
Thanks given by:
just get a cheap set of universal 5mm spacers, that'll sort it Tongue
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2015, 02:45 PM)John1.4 Wrote: just get a cheap set of universal 5mm spacers, that'll sort it [emoji14]
But then the wheel wouldn't sit on the hub?
Thanks given by:
it would just about but tbh id get the shorter bolts. Been there and done that with bolts that were too long. its a right pain in the bum!
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2015, 03:48 PM)SRowell Wrote: it would just about but tbh id get the shorter bolts. Been there and done that with bolts that were too long. its a right pain in the bum!
Cheers. On the case now.
Thanks given by:
use std peugeot steel wheel bolts they are tappered
trip to the scrappy Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Its always the easy jobs that end up the hardest!
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2015, 04:11 PM)cully Wrote: use std peugeot steel wheel bolts they are tappered
trip to the scrappy Wink

They may be too short however, as they're only designed to go through the steel wheel whereas the OP's new wheels will probably have more meat between the bolt seat and the hub mating surface. 
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Got a set of M12 x 1.25 24mm (measured from the taper) so should give me 21/22 mm thread which i hope is bang on right.

Got them from a helpful bloke who runs this place http://www.mtec-racing.com/

From what i could tell by randomly searching on ebay and the likes the standard tapered bolts for the 306 seem to be 28mm which is what i was supplied with. But ta for the suggestion.

I also picked up replacement mcgards (only Su's this time) for a bargain- which will help ease the cost of returning stuff! Big Grin

Fingers crossed the lengths are okay. I guess if it's a tiny bit too long (which is my only concern) i will have to grind the end with something to remove a mm or so as i couldn't find anywhere selling 19mm m12 x 1.25 any shorter! And when i say grind....i'll probably just rub it on the pavement or something like that. Big Grin (i'll add to the bodge thread nicely!)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Change of wheels paul7278 3 1,160 15-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Last Post: mr_fish