Newbie with Track Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie with Track Project
Hi guys, my names Todd and I'm from Kent, a stones throw from brands hatch conveniently Smile

I recently bought a 1998 Gti6 as a track project. It came with 10 months mot so am using it over the winter whilst I freshen up my bmw. I'm no stranger to fast cars, in fact this is the most underpowered car I've owned in about 8 years, but I've learnt what this car lacks in acceleration it makes up for in a bend, hence my choice for a track car. I'm mechanical engineer for a large generator hire company so know my way around an engine, but am new to French hatch backs Smile

Previous cars are 5 punto GT's, one converted to 2ltr turbo.
S14a 200sx
Audi b5 S4
Current car is decatted and mapped e46 330d with 285bhp & 450lbft, she will be used to tow the pug to track days.

This is the poor old girl who is gonna cop it on track Wink
Thanks given by:
Welcome!
Very jealous of your location!!

You'll have a right hoon on track in that! Just make it as light as possible and the power wont be all that bad. Decent exhaust and filter can unlock a few ponies as can some cams Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome Smile

Exhaust decat air filter and cams should see a ltitle over 200 bhp well that what I'm hoping for.

Should have fun in the 6 and great newbie track car,back can be albit tail happy if you strip it though lol
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies guys. Tail happy isn't a problem, I had a 200sx remember Wink

What exhausts, filters etc are recommended? Obv don't want too loud that won't be aloud on some tracks?

Been out today kicking it's nuts in, brakes def on the list after a bit of fade approaching a roundabout lol
Thanks given by:
Sounds good. Will be good to see your progress. Have fun getting the sound deadening off the floor!
Thanks given by:
Oh I've been there before with the 200sx lol. Think gonna go with the omp weld in cage, undecided whether to have one or two seats tho
Thanks given by:
Magnex cat back and decat mine always passed noise tests and being 2.5 opposed to scorpion which is 2.25 well actually booth have they plus and minuses.

Air filter some same a panel fliter in the standard airbox is the best,and would cost you about 40 pound instead of a enclosed one which is nearly 200.

Brake,stay with the standard caliper and go for some ferodo ds25000 and oem brembo disc

Cams if you do I wentered for some catcams 3117 which have a duration of 267 and produce 193.1 bhp.
Thanks given by:
Great help, thank you
Thanks given by:
Welcome along buddy looking forward to seeing your progress!
Thanks given by:
Also stick a project thread up.there's a lot of very knowledgeable people here which can help you save money and time.
Thanks given by:
Yeah will do
Thanks given by:
50+ posts and can't comment on classifieds Sad
Thanks given by:
That's cos you need 100 posts lol...
Thanks given by:
Jesus lol
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2015, 10:23 PM)todd1983 Wrote: Jesus lol
Christ....

Play word association and you'll be done in no time Smile
Thanks given by:

46 more to go Smile 

Take it you after some bits from jammapic car ??
Thanks given by:
Welcome (also trying to get above 100 posts so I can use the classifieds)
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2015, 11:33 PM)7057sam Wrote:

46 more to go Smile 

Take it you after some bits from jammapic car ??
Yeah I was, but after discovering I've got quite a bit to do on my bmw it's prob best I can't access that thread lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi! (Newbie with Gti6 Track Car...) Chr1sch 10 2,377 26-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Last Post: jonas306