MAF goosed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAF goosed?
my hdi feels down on power, so i unplugged my maf last night and went for a spin, it felt exactly the same as before i un plugged it, could somone please confirm its knacked so i can add a new maf to my ever growing list of parts, thanks chaps
Thanks given by:
Yeh sounds like it! If anything I think there was a bit of a performance increase when it was unplugged. Probably best to get another on there. Should be £5 or so from a scrappers.
Thanks given by:
Yep, sounds like your MAF has died completely and the ECU is just using generic figures rather than measured ones. If you have an oiled air filter, get rid of it or it'll kill the next MAF as well.
Thanks given by:
im going to buy a brandnew original maf, and buy a std air box as it currently running a cone filter
Thanks given by:
Cone filter is fine if its not oiled. But original airbox will be best yeah.
Thanks given by:
its bone dry mate
Thanks given by:
Better to get the airbox on first, else you could find the new maf dies just as fast. I'd also recommend buying a new maf, you don't know that a scrapyard job isn't already knackered or well on it's way. Make sure you buy genuine too, siemens vdo, is available from most motor factors.

I think i have a standard airbox kicking about somewhere, in fact...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
yes that is what i was going to do! abit of a random one but, how would i find out who my caliper are made by (lucas or bosch?
Thanks given by:
It's normally written on the caliper, they could also be bendix iirc
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
They'll be Bosch 266s on a v plate HDi usually, best to check though, its written on there as said...to make it more complicated there are 2 pad shapes of Bosch 266s haha.

What cone do you have then? If its ramair or piperx its probably not that causing issues. Things like k&n are sprayed with a fine oil that coats the MAF and ruins it.
Thanks given by:
i will check tonight, thanks lads!!! and its a cheap rip speed type thing i think
Thanks given by:
Just to confirm, if nothing changes when you unplug it it is already running open circuit on default values.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
sorry if sound daft, does that mean its knackard? (im very new to hdis)
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2014, 04:40 PM)pro_steve Wrote: Just to confirm, if nothing changes when you unplug it it is already running open circuit on default values.

Default!  That's the word I couldn't think of and used generic instead. lol

(18-12-2014, 04:42 PM)dirtyboost89 Wrote: sorry if sound daft, does that mean its knackard? (im very new to hdis)

Yep.
Thanks given by:
cheers mate
Thanks given by:
A lot of the time a cheap knock of cone filter even when not oiled will cause problems with MAF's. They just filter the air a lot less than the standard paper style filters meaning light dust and dirt gets in and burns onto the MAF wire.

Had the same problem on my corsa with an non oiled cone filter that I got for £10 just for the noise it made -_-
Thanks given by: