Pump tuning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pump tuning
So me and Mr Slamwagon (Ian) tuned my Lucas pump using JP's guid on nosmokenopoke.com and now it's at 15-16psi which was actually the same as before but it has a little more power delivery and a little smoke. But now I want more power haha how can I put the psi up more without f*cking things up? 

I know the first post is going to be "fit a Bosch pump" don't worry I will be soon. I just want to get what I can from this pump. And if anyone knows what power I roughly have that would be great Smile it's at 15-16psi with a decat. 

Thanks guys Smile 
Thanks given by:
A lucas pump is as good as a Bosch up untill you upgrade to a bigger turbo imo. Have you screwed the boost comp ? Screw out you turbo a fair bit, that should help, and maybe a bit more fuel on boost. Just keep playing around with the max fuel and boost comp until you feel happy with it. You shouldn't be seeing a massive amount of smoke on boost.

Powerwise each one is different to be fair. A good lucas set up and turbo tuned you could be seeing in around 110 - 135 bhpbut as I say there all different.

I've got a t2 turbo and a lucas pump boosting 23psi. Goes well Smile

Which turbo have you got ?
Thanks given by:
As mentioned above, adjust the wastegate of the turbo.
A great thing I did on my lucas was to allow more physical throttle movement of the throttle arm, this stretches the spring inside and allows the pump to rev for longer higher in rev range.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2014, 02:07 AM)Owen_G_ Wrote: A lucas pump is as good as a Bosch up untill you upgrade to a bigger turbo imo. Have you screwed the boost comp ? Screw out you turbo a fair bit, that should help, and maybe a bit more fuel on boost. Just keep playing around with the max fuel and boost comp until you feel happy with it. You shouldn't be seeing a massive amount of smoke on boost.

Powerwise each one is different to be fair. A good lucas set up and turbo tuned you could be seeing in around 110 - 135 bhpbut as I say there all different.

I've got a t2 turbo and a lucas pump boosting 23psi. Goes well Smile

Which turbo have you got ?

I'm unsure about what turbo I have it will just be a standard one so whatever came in an S reg

(10-12-2014, 03:20 AM)Dave Wrote: As mentioned above, adjust the wastegate of the turbo.
A great thing I did on my lucas was to allow more physical throttle movement of the throttle arm, this stretches the spring inside and allows the pump to rev for longer higher in rev range.

Awesome how did you allow more throttle movement? 
Thanks given by:
Could well be a T2 then, thats what i had on my R reg DT. With numerous fettlings to both the pump and the turbo, i ended up running 21psi, probably making ~120bhp at a guess. I also did the same thing Dave did, fiddled with the throttle arm, and I could see revs up to almost 5k instead of just over 4. Probably could have taken it a bit further still, but didn't want to kill anything! Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2014, 02:29 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Could well be a T2 then, thats what i had on my R reg DT. With numerous fettlings to both the pump and the turbo, i ended up running 21psi, probably making ~120bhp at a guess. I also did the same thing Dave did, fiddled with the throttle arm, and I could see revs up to almost 5k instead of just over 4. Probably could have taken it a bit further still, but didn't want to kill anything! Big Grin

That's what I want to aim for is about 20psi and a higher Rev range but not sure if I need to adjust my boost compensator or the max fuel screw to get that psi
Thanks given by:
In my experience, the Boost compensator on the Lucas pump didnt really do much! lol Stick with the Max Fuel screw and the wastegate on the turbo....you may need to tune it multiple times to get the result you're looking for though. I know i did! Wink
Thanks given by: Nathan1305
(10-12-2014, 02:39 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: In my experience, the Boost compensator on the Lucas pump didnt really do much! lol Stick with the Max Fuel screw and the wastegate on the turbo....you may need to tune it multiple times to get the result you're looking for though. I know i did! Wink

So turning it clockwise creates more fuel which then creates more boost? 
Thanks given by:
Yeah, basically! Though you'll want to turn the wastegate on the turbo up too to add more air to the mixture as well, otherwise you'll just be adding more smoke. Wink
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2014, 02:46 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Yeah, basically! Though you'll want to turn the wastegate on the turbo up too to add more air to the mixture as well, otherwise you'll just be adding more smoke. Wink

SWeet I'll give that a go when I can get the car in the air Smile
Thanks given by:
The higher you can get it, the better! I always found it a bit of a struggle doing it with the car on axle stands. Can be done, just a bit harder than if you know someone with a ramp. Wink
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2014, 03:09 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: The higher you can get it, the better! I always found it a bit of a struggle doing it with the car on axle stands. Can be done, just a bit harder than if you know someone with a ramp. Wink

Hopefully I can get it done soon Smile 
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Na pump tuning? adampug 4 1,822 12-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Last Post: adampug
  Pump tuning (XUD) EbuetAmecus 2 1,353 08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  NAD PUMP TUNING Jimbo 12 2,981 22-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Last Post: darrenjlobb