Audio Budget - What to get??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Budget - What to get??
ginge191 Wrote:Ok, a lot of this is going over my head.

Ohms? i've seen a lot of subs, identicle RMS etc. but differ in 2/4 ohms? what is this??

Also bridging? What is this? splitting a sub input 2 ways to 2 different channels?

this is a very quick reply as i'm at work.

my V12 is a 4 channel amp, it can also be bridged so instead of 4 outputs you combine 2 channels so the amp becomes a 2 channel amp (not all amps can do this so check the amp before buying) - does that make sense?

The less the resistance (ohms) the more power the good quality item can handel/produce i.e. my amp produces 80w rms on a bridged channel at 4ohms - when i run the same bridged channel 2ohn's (monoblock setting) the output goes from 80w rms to 120w rms

does the above help - its examples not an idiots guide to ice lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
yeh that makes sense - thanks!

How would i know if it can be bridged?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:yeh that makes sense - thanks!

How would i know if it can be bridged?

Most can now but when your looking at the amp ratings they will normally say something like "2 x 150W or 1 x 300W" or similar, also if you look at the end of the amp with the speaker connections on it will normally be marked on there to like in this random image stolen from the internet:-

[Image: Kenwood_Amp_Power__Spkr_Conns.jpg]
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
OOHhhhh ok, that makes sense!

Still liking the idea of 2 seperate amps - i'll see how money goes within the next few weeks - like this done pre-fcs
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:OOHhhhh ok, that makes sense!

Still liking the idea of 2 seperate amps - i'll see how money goes within the next few weeks - like this done pre-fcs

You can have 2 separate amps (mono and a stereo or 2 x stereo) or you could use a 4ch amp and bridge 2 of the channels on it giving you 2 ch for your components and a mono ch for your sub Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Ginge dont rush it mate. Even if you buy a mono block and run the components off the HU for now until get the money together for another amp, that would be better! Rush it and it wont be anywhere near as good as it could be!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeh niall, i may scrap the component amp, seeing as they have crossovers included to assist - im sure the HU is capable to amp it for now... that gives my another £80 towards and amp/sub
Thanks given by:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vibe-bl ... reo-4.html

billy bargain??
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vibe-bla...reo-4.html

billy bargain??

Not really, its not that big an output and its 4 ch....................

If its going to be hidden then the vibe monobox I have would be fine if you are looking for something hefty to run a sub!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
So the Vibe amp, although doesn't say "bridged at........." it says " RMS @ 4 Ohm Mono : 2 x 200Watts " this means when 2 bridged, it = ____

Sorry if this is tiring you guys :nope:
Thanks given by:
Ginge I know it's nice to have all new kit but vibe isn't the best stuff in the world. Your on a small budget so I would consider second hand if I was you!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Ginge I know it's nice to have all new kit but vibe isn't the best stuff in the world. Your on a small budget so I would consider second hand if I was you!

as nice as that sounds, i feel when looking that it's all a blur - i havn't a clue.

I'll be looking and comparing 2 amps, both 2 channel, bridged and same output - one is £60 more and i can't see why despite a chaneg in brand.

I'll see how funds go prior to purchasing.

I think the 12" sub and components are a sure buy for now at least, that we can all agree on/
I'll keep browsing for an amp
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
Niall Wrote:Ginge I know it's nice to have all new kit but vibe isn't the best stuff in the world. Your on a small budget so I would consider second hand if I was you!

as nice as that sounds, i feel when looking that it's all a blur - i havn't a clue.

I'll be looking and comparing 2 amps, both 2 channel, bridged and same output - one is £60 more and i can't see why despite a chaneg in brand.

I'll see how funds go prior to purchasing.

I think the 12" sub and components are a sure buy for now at least, that we can all agree on/
I'll keep browsing for an amp

You will get what you pay for mate. The sound quality will be noticably different.

If you like ill show you an old vibe active sub that I have, that was £180 when new, and when you listen to it it just goes BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM.
Not a great peice of kit. Not saying all vibe stuff is bad, but like others have said, i would consider getting some second hand gear...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Ok, i've just messaged a few sellers on my local selling site - see what replies i get - amps are looking at £30-£70, people just trying to shift them!
Thanks given by:
Ginge it's like buying a car. A ford mondo and a rolls Royce both do the same job but which will be nicer, work better ect?

People normally overlook the amp when improving sound quality when in reality, the amp is one of the biggest factors that makes a difference! (second to the speakers of course!)
If you go over to talk audio, there are some guys on there who have systems that are like 10k plus yet there using amps that are 20 years old! Modern technology has made these amps far more efficient but you loose the quality until you start spending some serious money!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ginge give Niall or whoever money to buy your setup, tell them what music/sound you like and they'll find stuff on a budget Smile

My alpine HU and amp alone was about 700 if not morenew...I paid under a 7th of that hunting for bargins and sitting back...I wasn't hunting for items, they found me on egay lol

Thanks given by:
devils_fuel Wrote:Ginge give Niall or whoever money to buy your setup, tell them what music/sound you like and they'll find stuff on a budget Smile

THIS!!!
Thanks given by:
Right get that JL sub and pair it with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/alpine-v12-am ... _500wt_922
Get some focal components or rainbow if you can afford. Steer away from the likes of vibe. There speakers are rubbish for the money!

Spend about 120-130 on speakers and any money you have left over, sound deaden the car. This makes a big difference (see my guide)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... s/GM-5000T ??

Bloke next to me is selling this same amp - i reckon i could happily chuck him some beer tokens??!
Thanks given by:
That's ideal as its 3 channel. Only thing is it is a bit too powerful for the sub so be careful when setting up that you don't just max it out.

I've not got much experience with pioneer but I have heard their stuff is fairly good. If you can get it for a drink, do it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:That's ideal as its 3 channel. Only thing is it is a bit too powerful for the sub so be careful when setting up that you don't just max it out.

I've not got much experience with pioneer but I have heard their stuff is fairly good. If you can get it for a drink, do it.

could i not just get a more powerful sub, or does it not go hand in hand?
Thanks given by:
You could. Or you could just use this amp. Its 380w at bridged but that will be peak so realistically 280 rms. just don't turn the gain right up or the sub won't last 5 minutes but that's something grant can sort when he comes over.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
You won't want a more powerful sub ginge.

Niall has hit it on the head for you setup there. The amp would happily drie the sub and speakers, but leaves you the versatility to buy another amp for the sub in the future, and amp all speakers in the car.

Don forget in your budget that you will also be needing to buy wood, screws, wiring kits, felt or boot carpet, fibreglass, sandpaper, paint(?) the list goes on...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:You won't want a more powerful sub ginge.

Niall has hit it on the head for you setup there. The amp would happily drie the sub and speakers, but leaves you the versatility to buy another amp for the sub in the future, and amp all speakers in the car.

Don forget in your budget that you will also be needing to buy wood, screws, wiring kits, felt or boot carpet, fibreglass, sandpaper, paint(?) the list goes on...

yah wood and extra parts is no worries, i've got a shed full of screws, bolts, glue, sandpaper, tools etc. just the felt/carpet and perhaps fibreglass would need to buy. maybe a cheeky neon underlight :twisted:
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:You won't want a more powerful sub ginge.

+ sound deadening

Thanks given by:
Never rush when it comes to car audio dude, it took me a few weeks and speaking with stiffee and letting him tell me how many times I was wrong lol that amp looks good for the sub and what not Smile bargain if you can get it cheap! I would love to do a proper build in my car, but with the little one on the way I just can't Sad
[Image: Signature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Definitely get the best you can afford, good used higher-end stuff will be better than the cheap stuff new.
Thanks given by:
He sold that amp Sad

Watching the eBay jobby
Thanks given by:
devils_fuel Wrote:+ sound deadening

I've got about 20 sq meters of cloud 9 that i was going to give him, doing feck all in my garage 'cept collecting dust...

Saying that though ginge, you may wanna consider some adhesive bitumen sheeting....

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:
devils_fuel Wrote:+ sound deadening

I've got about 20 sq meters of cloud 9 that i was going to give him, doing feck all in my garage 'cept collecting dust...

Saying that though ginge, you may wanna consider some adhesive bitumen sheeting....

Aww you're such a babe!!

I'll get in touch about the specifics once i've got the audio ordered in etc.!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Components/volume/audio things Tom 5 1,587 16-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Tom
  audio stalk and new head unit aaron_one 6 1,838 09-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Last Post: aaron_one
  Using OEM audio remote nauest 4 1,793 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Last Post: ben87