Gti 6 gear knob.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti 6 gear knob.
After ripping apart my linkage system after a problem with my quickshift I'd like to replace my gear knob when it goes back together as the existing one is pretty ropey.
Does anyone know if there are any later model peugeots that fit which are 6 speed and lift reverse friendly?
Thanks in advance.
Russ
Thanks given by:
I think the reverse lift up collar is separate from the actual knob, so should be able to stick whatever you like on
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2014, 03:34 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: I think the reverse lift up collar is separate from the actual knob, so should be able to stick whatever you like on

Its seperate but it has a recess which the lift up plastic moves up into! I am having exactly the same problem atm. The gti6 knob is super expensive now and there are no mint ones. If there is a 6 speed off another model that works then that would be perfect.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2014, 04:03 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 03:34 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: I think the reverse lift up collar is separate from the actual knob, so should be able to stick whatever you like on

Its seperate but it has a recess which the lift up plastic moves up into! I am having exactly the same problem atm. The gti6 knob is super expensive now and there are no mint ones. If there is a 6 speed off another model that works then that would be perfect.
That's right the collar is separate but the knob needs to be recessed.
Spoox have new ones but they are £55 a pop [ASTONISHED FACE]
Surely there must be something from a later model that fits! ?
Thanks given by:
They're £50ish from dealers but they're currently checking if any are stocked.

You need to find one with reverse in the right place and the groove for the collar. I spent a long time googling knobs over the weekend and can't find an alternative. Newer Pugs have reverse in the wrong place. Only ones that may work are JDM ones but I'm not sure if their shaft fitment is the same.
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2014, 04:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote:   I spent a long time googling knobs over the weekend and can't find an alternative.

QFT
Thanks given by:
I've already checked through Peugeot UK tom. They said they would be £27 +vat but Apparently there's no stock showing on them worldwide.
This is the ones at Spoox. http://www.spoox.co.uk/en/gearknobs/1562...rknob.html
Thanks given by:
£27 + VAT seems a bit cheap, is that for a plastic knob instead of leather? Yeah I've seen the Spoox ones. I've also messaged every 306 breaker on ebay to ask with the same reply 'the knobs peeled'. WTF are people doing with GTi6 knobs? I've never had a peeled knob in any other 306!
Thanks given by:
According to the part's chap at my local Peugeot that's the price for what's listed against my car. It's neither here nor there though as there's no stock worldwide.
Mine was already peeled when I bought them car tom, I've contacted many breakers like yourself and got the same old answer.
Looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and order the Spoox one. :-(
Thanks given by:
Wonder if theyd do them cheaper if we did a group buy? I know quite a few of us are having knob issues...

Edit - In fact, I might give that an ask...
Thanks given by:
Find out tom but I think the spoox ones are very good condition used ones. You need to find if there is a company thst can retrim them.
Thanks given by:
For £55 I'd hope they're new... Confused

I've been told by a few trimmers that they can't do gearknobs. Not sure how they're done at the factory but apparently they can't be retrimmed successfully. Confused
Thanks given by:
I'd definitely be expecting a new one for that money! !!
I'd defo be in for one if there's a group buy. My knob is totally rotten!!
Thanks given by:
(08-12-2014, 08:06 PM)SRowell Wrote: Find out tom but I think the spoox ones are very good condition used ones. You need to find if there is a company thst can retrim them.
Yeah I'd find somewhere to retrim it.
I was lucky to find one in my old gti6 that was mint, but it has just started peeling a little. Will slap glue on it tomorrow.
(08-12-2014, 08:06 PM)SRowell Wrote: Find out tom but I think the spoox ones are very good condition used ones. You need to find if there is a company thst can retrim them.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I asked 3 local car trimmers while looking for the seat to be fixed and all said they couldn't do the knob. Not sure if they mean it 'can't' be done or if they meant the cost would be ridiculous and not worth it. As said, I'm not sure how its done in the factory, I assume theres some way of shrinking the leather to keep it tight (vacuum bagged maybe?) and some special adhesive but don't know lol.
Thanks given by:
I'll ask place near me, as mine will be getting done eventually.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Moved to a more appropriate section. Up your game Rowell! Tongue
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I replaced mine with a richbrook item in chrome.
The top cap matches the 6 and is lift reverse compatible.
Paid about 30 for it from halfords.
try and get a photo for you if you want.
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2014, 09:46 PM)impotentials Wrote: I replaced mine with a richbrook item in chrome.
The top cap matches the 6 and is lift reverse compatible.
Paid about 30 for it from halfords.
try and get a photo for you if you want.
I'd really like to keep it as standard looking as possible if I can.

If it were possible to have the original re trimmed that would be my most favourable option if I could.
Thanks given by:
Is that plastic chrome or metal chrome? Metal knobs are horrible in the cold weather! Confused I'm no really a fan of aftermarkets myself either though tbh.
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2014, 10:50 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Is that plastic chrome or metal chrome? Metal knobs are horrible in the cold weather! Confused I'm no really a fan of aftermarkets myself either though tbh.
I definitely don't want anything shiny lol!!
Just hit the nail on the head tom. 1st call lol, Just got off the phone to edge automotive.
They can retrim it for £30, just need to post it down to them. :-)

Additionally can the cap be bought separately?

Also just thinking if there are any others wanting theirs doing we can try and get a collective together and see if they will do a group deal?
Thanks given by:
Wonder why they can retrim it and nowhere here would! Confused Yeah the cap can be bought separate, but I'm not sure if they're still available from the dealer.

I've sorted my knob issue now anyway. I did ask Spoox btw, but they couldn't do a group buy due to lack of stock.
Thanks given by:
Strange mate I'm not sure that's literally the top Google search that came up when I Googled retrim leather gear knob.

I'll pop down to Peugeot tomorrow and see if they are still available.

No worries cheers for trying at least. I don't really blame them to be honest with how hard it's getting to find one in good nick and no new stock anywhere.
Thanks given by:
Royal steering wheels can also do them. Offered to do mine for £15 if i had my wheel done by them.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2014, 10:50 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Is that plastic chrome or metal chrome?  Metal knobs are horrible in the cold weather! Confused  I'm no really a fan of aftermarkets myself either though tbh.

Only drive mine in warm weather. She gets treated well.
cold nobs eh!

different strokes for different folks
Thanks given by:
I'm not bothered about weather it's warm or cold I just think they look shit lol, like you say though different strokes for different folks and all that.

That's a good price niall I'm assuming the price was hinged on you having the wheel done as well?
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2014, 11:10 PM)impotentials Wrote: Only drive mine in warm weather.

I'd guess it's pretty low mileage then!! lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will this gear knob fit? Suggestions for a better one? Charlie0 3 2,171 16-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Wanter Gear Knob Pug0BZ3011 1 1,513 19-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Last Post: WiNgNuTz
  Which is this gear knob? vandalzd 0 1,057 22-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Last Post: vandalzd