Leaky thermostat - which one to replace?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaky thermostat - which one to replace?
Question 
Hoping someone can help. Apologies for the noob question but I'd sooner make sure I get it right:

My car (phase 1 XUDTD) has been leaking coolant for a while and it appears to be from around the thermostat housing. The existing seal on the thermostat has a slight nick in it and I temporarily bodged it with gasket seal but there's still a little bit getting out.

I figure I may as well replace the whole thermostat at the same time with a cheap and cheerful one.

ECP seem to have two which are ever so slightly different. Which is the one I should get?
Their description of "with seal, without gasket / seal" is somewhat confusing :p. Assuming it doesn't come with a seal, is http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...afc&000574 likely to fit both?

I assume it's just a case of undoing thermostat housing and taking the old thermostat out, putting the new seal on the new thermostat and bolt it all back up again (+ refill/bleed lost coolant)?

I'm reluctant to undo the thermostat housing to measure the current one as I'd rather not disturb the existing seal and what's left of it.

Cheers.
Thanks given by:
Not the best of advice but easiest thing to narrow it down is give them a ring with your reg? I like to take both items and just bring the wrong one back for a refund, ask them if that's an option?

No idea how you go about fitting it as Im not mechanically minded :p
Thanks given by:
My only experience with ECP thermostats is that they don't supply you with the correct seal. Its just an O ring. Seen it on two occasions.

I ended up going over to peugeot and just buying the seal for pennies.

I just tested (what I believe) the original 'stat in a pan of boiling water and it opened fine so just reused with a new seal.
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2014, 04:36 PM)Jimmy306uk Wrote: Not the best of advice but easiest thing to narrow it down is give them a ring with your reg? I like to take both items and just bring the wrong one back for a refund, ask them if that's an option?

No idea how you go about fitting it as Im not mechanically minded :p

That was after I put the reg into their website so I'm assuming the desk staff will have the same info. Getting similar mixed results from other places too. Figured people on here would be more trustworthy Big Grin.

(19-11-2014, 04:45 PM)mr_fish Wrote: My only experience with ECP thermostats is that they don't supply you with the correct seal. Its just an O ring. Seen it on two occasions.

I ended up going over to peugeot and just buying the seal for pennies.

I just tested (what I believe) the original 'stat in a pan of boiling water and it opened fine so just reused with a new seal.

Ah I figured as much. Presumably the seal I linked would be a better.. seal than the O ring and less likely to leak?

My temperature seems a little erratic at the moment, I've seen it go up to ~91 then jump back down to ~85 for the next few miles so I think it might be on its way out. For the sake of £5 I may as well replace it.

Another stupid question but when you say go into Peugeot, a dealer you mean?
Thanks given by:
Local motor factors will be ite, plus you can check it has the seal in there, it looks like a O ring, but has a slit in it so the stat sits inside the O ring
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
ECP do the correct seal but you have to buy as well as the thermostat
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys. New thermostat bought and fitted (this one). The gasket was a couple a couple of mm smaller than the old one so it seemed a bit loose in the engine block. Liberally caked it and the housing with gasket seal (blue Hylomar) and it seems to be wedged in pretty well now Smile. It seems to run bang on 83 but if I'm stuck shunting around in traffic or accelerating hard it will creep up to 90 still. I imagine the radiator's knackered though.

Now to solve my clutch which is starting to slip Sad. I've owned this car for nearly 10 years and I don't think it's ever been done!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Correct type of thermostat? carlukepeugeot 1 1,211 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Leaky diesel return line Iaitoo 6 1,630 23-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  thermostat opening temps...lower temp' stats? Piggy 25 6,515 25-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Piggy