306TD Smoking alot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306TD Smoking alot
Hi all,

I've browsed 60 pages of this forum and read every thread on smoking engines, but nearly all seem to relate to cars that have been mod'd.

I have a 99 reg 306TD with 140K on the clock, runs well all in all. The fuel economy seems good, its regularly serviced and while it wins no races its fairly quick.

Recently (last few months) its started smoking more than before. I'll try and describe: Starts first time every time and doesn't smoke on start up or idle. If I've been granny driving it and then put my foot down I get a big plume of rich black smoke/soot which I think is normal.

The problem is when the engines under load in lower gears, I live in hilly area (think Peak district) and for example if I pull up a hill it smokes like a chimney after going from 1st into 2nd and the revs drop on the gear change. From 1900 to 2200 rpm seems worst. Similarly if I'm driving along in 3rd/4th and the revs are lowish (1900 - 2300 it can continually produce a haze of grey/black smoke. Pulling away from traffic lights etc, it dumps grey smoke in first as the clutch is lifted off and the engine pulls. At night with other cars behind me you can really see the smoke haze. I end up trying to drive it ultra gently to not leave smoke behind me (kinda embarrassing tbh). High revs and it doesnt seem to smoke at all.

The cars 15 years old and got loads of miles so I get that its not gonna be smoke free all the time, but is this normal? signs of a problem?

The most I've done to mod a car is stick an air freshener in the air vents. I wanna take it to a garage to get it checked out but dont wanna get ripped off finding faults that arent there.

Any help / thoughts appreciated
Thanks given by:
check for boost leaks

the d-seal between the intercooler and the inlet manifold can go
Thanks given by:
^This, any noticeable loss of power? Black smoke is unburnt fuel which is usually due to a boost leak. As zx says, check the D seal as well as the turbo -> intercooler pipe and finally the intercooler -> pump pipe Smile
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I'd say boost leak. When engine is bogged down on full throttle at low Revs its expected to have smoke. But if there's suddenly more than usual my first bet would also be a boost leak.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music Looking for my old 306td Motatalk 7 1,659 25-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Last Post: r3k1355
  smoking on idle bosch pump therefused 14 2,879 26-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Last Post: 306Puggy
  smoking question no2lurch 6 1,951 26-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Dave