Turbo gone ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo gone ?
Car boosts 20psi before all this happened

Was driving the car as normal the other night coming up to a crossroads, took off form there and heard a loud whineing noise as i put the foot down and she was only boosting 10psi this went on for and hour or so of driving And when i rev her away up there was like a chattering sound from the engine or turbo at high rev.

That night she went completely dead and not boosting at all. When i put the foot to the floor there is way way way more smoke than there was before, balck smoke, i cant see any blue. When she reaches 2.000rpm with the foot down she just goes nowere, really dead.

I checked all the pipes to and fom the turbo and the intercooler but none seem to be off or leaking.

Is my turbo gone ?
Thanks given by:
Kinda sounds like it fella, check intercooler pipes for excess oil, if its not a boost leak not much else I can think of.
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah i as thinkng that myself, Would a turbo from a 2.5 landrover discovery fit
Thanks given by:
(24-10-2014, 10:41 AM)Owen_G_ Wrote: Yeah i as thinkng that myself, Would a turbo from a 2.5 landrover discovery fit

Anything will fit it you make it, take some work though,
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Just double check its not a chronic boost leak!! Pipe may have gone big!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Checked all pipes and there's no leaks or pipes off. Time for an upgrade. Looking at td04s and going to buy one tonight. I'm looking at two. A td04 from a Subaru but it doesn't say td04 L on the turbo. It just says td04.

The other turbo is from a Volvo c70. ?

Could someone give me a quick run over what to buy and what not to but and what these codes mean.

Another question, what does 12t mean and so on ?
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2014, 09:57 PM)Owen_G_ Wrote: Could someone give me a quick run over what to buy and what not to but and what these codes mean.

Anything with TD04 in the code...dont buy

Anything with either GTB or VNT in the code, buy it!!

But if you are hell bent on a td04 (yawn) then the scooby ones will do the job, can pick them up for £40/50 if you look hard enough, just make sure you dont get the ones with the rubbish 90degree cold side intake which is a pain to fit right!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the reply piggy. what if the code says td04l on it ?

So basically any with gtb or vnt buy.

What to you think of a turbo from a 2.5 shogun or a td5 discovery turbo cause I seen a few cheap ones ? Or is there any others that will work and spool early ?
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 12:30 AM)Owen_G_ Wrote: Thanks for the reply piggy. what if the code says td04l on it ?

So basically any with gtb or vnt buy.

What to you think of a turbo from a 2.5 shogun or a td5 discovery turbo cause I seen a few cheap ones ? Or is there any others that will work and spool early ?

Td04l is the right orientation, the others have a 90 degree bend on them Smile
Thanks given by:
To be honest mate, I think the land rover turbo will actually fit directly into the standard turbo housing. Seriously wish I had done this back in the day, T2-T25 hybrid ftw.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Left the turnover the manifold and all on it. Trying to get a 3.2 shogun turbo to fit on it. I'll let use know how I get on
Thanks given by:
Still haven't got this fixed. Looked at all pipes, ok. Checked fins on turbo an there fine. Instead off my boost cause boosting if you disconnect the pipe at the back there is a slight vacuum. Could this be the fuel pump ? Or the egr on the manifold, mitt 100% is my car has one.
Thanks given by: