Removing Auxiliary Belt!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Auxiliary Belt!?
Thumbs Down 
Well as usual the Haynes book of lies has made it seem lots easier than it is...

I'm trying to push the auxiliary belt tensioner forward and lock it in place so I can remove the belt. The problem is that I can't see the damn holes when I've moved it forward... On top of that the bolt is starting to round because I can only get mole grips on it.. Can anyone please simplify this for me? Also the Haynes Manual says I need a 4mm bolt to get through the lock off holes but I've tried a 4mm Alan Key and that doesn't fit. Will a 3mm be okay?
Thanks given by:
I've never managed to get enough access to lock the tensioner with the engine in the car so just push and hold it while removing/replacing the belt.

I tend to use a longer spanner linked to a 15mm spanner to get better leverage.
Thanks given by:
I'm replacing the crankshaft pulley after I've removed the belt so I won't be able to do that. The lack of space is ridiculous!
Thanks given by:
Yeah you can do that, just let the tension off the tensioner, change the pulley then push the tensioner again to refit the belt.

I'll be surprised if you can lock the tensioner tbh!
Thanks given by:
How far back will the tensioner go? I'm concerned about letting it off and then not having the space to push it back again :/
Thanks given by:
I've done it several times, it doesn't go miles back, but I cant remember exactly how far.
Thanks given by:
Not going to risk it, not sure I'll be able to get the crankshaft pulley bolt off now anyway and/or put it all back together. Garage has said between £15 and £30 anyway so I'll get that done on Thursday instead. Cheers anyway bud.
Thanks given by:
No worries.

That's probably best tbh, unless you have an impact gun or a scaffold bar theres not much chance of getting the crank pulley bolt out!
Thanks given by:
Glad we didn't get any further then! Been in situations where I've fixed a problem but been unable to put the car back together before, not good...
Thanks given by:
It's a lot easier if you get someone to go in through the wheel arch to lock it off while you hold the tensioner back. It does push round quite a way, far enough that you either need really strong thumbs or have to link up a spanner, as Tom has said.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Definitely easier with a friend. You can pull the tensioner back quite far but it becomes a pain to hold it back there. ive never had to lock mine off.
Thanks given by:
Piece of cake by yourself, like Tom said just put a spanner on the bolt in center of spring tensioner and push back ( go back past the front of the engine mount, and spanner will lock behind the metal, but even if you just hold it with your thumb, you can just reach in the arch and peel it off the crank pulley, once you have done that just let it spring back / change what you need to and reverse the procedure Smile

The nut holding the pulley on is reverse thread so dont worry it wont suddenly slip and un do!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I did mine yesterday.

15mm spanner on the auto tensioner with a spanner hooked over the end to give more leverage.
Used a 3mm Allen key to pin the tensioner back.

You may have to undo the top engine mount to lower the engine a tad
Thanks given by:
if you make the holding tool like the manual says, and use a sspanner with an extension ( or make one for the purpose ) its a doddle, with the wheel and plastics removed.......
Thanks given by: