Changing beam tips

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing beam tips
Will be changing 2 beams Monday (first time) anyone have any tips for me? The concept seems simple just wondered if anyone had any little tips or anything I should be aware of.

Thanks guys Smile
Thanks given by:
Brake pipes not coming undone can slow the process down so give them a spray beforehand. And get a proper brake pipe spanner
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just take your time. double check things are tight. Brake pipe spanners help. Some brake pipe blanks dont go a miss either so you dont loose all the fluid.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Sweet I have a brake pipe spanner so that should help if not I'll use mull grips Smile thanks guys, feeling confident with this one
Thanks given by:
new handbrake cables, make sure you have a flaring tool and new brake unions to hand, if the pipes are original it's 99% likely they'll need replacing.
Thanks given by:
Yup, it's a simple process, but as with everything on an old car, except rusty bolts and unions to shear or round off. Dodgy lol
Thanks given by:
(04-10-2014, 09:30 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Yup, it's a simple process, but as with everything on an old car, except rusty bolts and unions to shear or round off. Dodgy lol

Fun fun haha I'll start with my car so if it fucks up then I know what to expect on sians haha
Thanks given by:
A full set of brake pipe spanners is a good idea sa pug have funny sizes in funny places and you may need 2 to work a male off a female union.

Have 2 empty drink bottles or beer cans to hand and some tape so that you can stick the end of the brake pipes in them and hold them on to catch the fluid.

Cover everything in plus gas the night before. Make sure you have plenty of spare brake fluid and be prepared for many seized bolts on the beam itself.

Have 2 jacks, one for either side of the beam or at least a spare set of axle stands.

Work in the order: remove exhaust, remove spare wheel and carrier, hand brake cables, brake pipes, rear beam bolts, front beam bolts.

Its never a quick or easy job the first time you do it especially if you have to swap bits over between the beams. Think my first one took me about 5 hours.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing rear beam/ Steering wheel problem E_KEL95 3 1,305 13-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Changing rear beam Msparksdturbo 16 4,459 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Msparksdturbo
  Can i change to the bigger ABS style drums without changing the whole beam? HDIkyle 1 871 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Harky