Tom's TDCi Titanium X...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom's TDCi Titanium X...
So, you probably got bored of my contradictory threads on newer cars, well I did find something that fitted the bill surprisingly well. Wasn't gonna post it on here but several people have asked so here it is. I do know most of you won't like it. Tongue

Criteria list -

£30 tax (or less) Yep.
60mpg avg book figure (or more) 64mpg book figure, trip computer says 68mpg atm, will brim it and manually check this tank though
Ride comfort Hell yes!! Dunno how newer Pug's have been made so uncomfortable compared to this!
Sensible power (going on around 12s to 60 book figure, same as std HDi) 110bhp @ 4k, 260-280Nm at 1.75k!! 10.5s 0-60
Some spec, particularly for future longer journeys (air con is a must) Has tonnes of spec inc ice cold AC
Reliability (as few major common faults as possible) Now... It does have a DPF, DMF and a VNT...but is low mileage, and has full history. So far nothing has needed changed except service items so has been looked after.
Distance - MUST be within my travelling distance, which is roughly sod all currently which is causing the most issues here Was about half hour from me, had it delivered to Ipswich for collection.

From the title you've probably guessed what it is lol.

2008 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi [110] Titanium X in Panther black with optional Xenon HIDs and Power-folding mirrors.

46k miles
T&T
Full Ford history

Tonnes of spec inc - Sight pack (auto wipers, lights, dimming mirror), electric windows all round with global closing on fob, electrically adjustable, heated wing mirrors with powerfold, adjustable EHPAS (mines set to comfort of course), ABS/ESP/EBA, 8 speaker premium Sony sound system with aux input in glovebox, infrared solar reflecting windscreen, quick-clear heated windscreen and heated washer jets, full black leather 8 way electronically adjustable heated seats (so damn comfy!!) leather wheel with rake and reach, leather knob, centre arm rest with storage, 16" 20 spoke alloys, rear privacy glass, factory Xenon HID's with levellers and washers (I take back anything I said about HIDs, they're epic in a car they're made for!!), deflation detection system, climatic air con, massive glove box with cooling/heating, puddle lights, footwell lights, easyfuel (petrol nozzle doesn't fit in diesel hole), hydraulic clutch, cool instrument cluster etc etc.

BUT...no cruise control. Early Titanium's didn't get cruise but thanks to CANBUS it's just a case of fitting the cruise steering wheel and activating it with a modified ELM cable... So if anyone has a spare Focus cruise wheel let me know. Wink

Anyway, gotta say, I do really like it tbh, probably more than any previous car...yes, even the Golf lol. Looks good inside and out, excellent running costs, decent power but most of all a smooth, quiet comfortable drive. I didn't believe the difference a car could make to my going out 'anxities', it's made a massive difference and I hope to be going out more, and further. Probably wont be at any major meets from here, but if theres a local one I'll likely come along. Smile

Oh, and obviously I couldn't buy a car without something breaking...fortunately it was just a punctured tyre though. Dodgy The deflation detection system wasn't activated from the factory so I didn't realise until it got so flat it was pulling hard to the left. So had that repaired and 5 minutes with the modded ELM and I've now activated DDS...which does work cos I was sad enough to let some air out of a tyre to try it!! lol

If you're still awake, well done. Heres the only part most people will look at...pictorz... But my camera's shit and the car's covered in brick dust and spilt diesel...

[Image: IMAG4018_zpsb42469ad.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4020_zpsc895f185.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4019_zps71b6d52c.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4000_zps023c583b.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4003_zps0a826a3c.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4022_zpsf14c1059.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4023_zps6482c948.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4021_zpsaadfd0af.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4024_zps7952c85e.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4025_zpsd6678725.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4015_zpsa1776d41.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4011_zps4d0b8e5b.jpg]

[Image: IMAG4002_zps55bda1ec.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3995_zps6ca853bc.jpg]

Criticism welcome....and nice comments of course, but it's not a 306 afterall. lol

My target for keeping this is 3 years...and not modding it (much).

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
I give it 6 to 12 months. To me, it just sounds like more to go wrong and you can't fix it. Considering its 6 years old, things are going to start needing to be replaced soon which again, you won't want to do.
They are replacing the Kias at work with Focus estates. They are typical ford. Built for the job, no thrills, boring as anything and i would love to say reliable but...well they just aren't lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Very nice but I'd of prefered the mondeo in the same spec.
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2014, 05:41 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Very nice but I'd of prefered the mondeo in the same spec.

The difference in build quality as well between the focus and mongdeo is unreal but obviously a lot more expensive!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Looks nice Tom, but whats with the knobs? Doesnt it have auto climate control? I was under the impression that Titanium X was top spec!

Should have gotten a Honda Accord, mine is awesome! Smile
Thanks given by:
I like it.
Thanks given by:
Build quality surprised me tbh, compared to my Dads Mk3 Mondeo the build quality in the Focus is much better! The Titanium does also get a better dash etc than base models, it feels German tbh, shutting the door sounds just like a Golf. lol And definitely miles better than the 207/308 that I was looking at, their quality seems about the same as the 306...which wasn't bad 15 years ago...but really isn't good enough now imo!

What do you think will need replacing Niall? DPF and Eolys are both fine, and shouldn't require replacement until 75k ish. DMFs these days don't fall apart like the older ones lol and the clutch is fine. Cambelt interval is over 100k. Only potential fault is the turbo, but I'm hoping the full Ford history and low mileage mean that should be fine for a while. The modified ELM does basically everything PP2K does for Pug's, so if something electrical fails I'll be able to find what it is at least. In the year of owning the Vectra, the only things to fail could've failed on any car, snapped spring and faulty EGR, so I don't see that this would be any different. Smile

(27-09-2014, 05:51 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Looks nice Tom, but whats with the knobs? Doesnt it have auto climate control? I was under the impression that Titanium X was top spec!

Should have gotten a Honda Accord, mine is awesome! Smile

It is indeed top spec, but dual zone climate was an optional, as was sat nav and cruise control. Think I'd have picked one of those over Xenons and powerfold mirrors if I was buying it new but beggars cant be choosers lol. It does have a half arsed auto temp control though, like the 306 does. Like the VAGs as well, they call theirs 'climatic' iirc.

I don't like salloons lol, did look at an Accord though! Running costs were significantly higher as well unfortunately.
Thanks given by:
these go through headlamp bulbs like anything.

road noise is terrible, steering feel lacking, throttle pedal weightless.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, im getting 47 on mixed driving, still better than the 23 I was getting from my Saab though!

I really dont get why people would buy a top spec model then NOT have cool extras! If you dont want cool stuff, save yourself a few quid and buy a poverty spec one!
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2014, 06:00 PM)welshpug Wrote: these go through headlamp bulbs like anything.

road noise is terrible, steering feel lacking, throttle pedal weightless.

Don't have any issue with road noise tbh...maybe yours had noisy tyres lol?

And yes, the steering's so nice and light in comfort mode! But you can change it to 'sport' if you want it heavy lol. Throttle pedal again, so nice, matches the weightless clutch. Big Grin Everythings so easy to operate I don't get in with a broken clutch leg and dead arms any more. lol

(27-09-2014, 06:02 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Yeah, im getting 47 on mixed driving, still better than the 23 I was getting from my Saab though!

I really dont get why people would buy a top spec model then NOT have cool extras! If you dont want cool stuff, save yourself a few quid and buy a poverty spec one!

Lol, true. Tbf, its had 2 previous elderly owners, so I bet they didn't even know what half the stuff did. They certainly wouldn't have understood dual zone climate! lol

Always a good sign when the radio's set to Classic and the clock is 12 hours out haha.
Thanks given by:
Nice car tom
Enjoy it
Thanks given by:
So it'll require a new turbo soon unless it's always had OE quality filters and oil. Big Grin

I give it 6 months..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I feel for you!
My Mondeo tdci was awful!
Was the 2.0 115bhp model but with the 6 speed box, would never manage any where near 50mpg even on a run

And when things go wrong they arnt cheap !
Thanks given by:
m-e-h
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I hear the injector life is only 50k
faaaaar too much to go wrong.
Thanks given by:
Let me put my thoughts another way

I didn't trust the Mondeo to get me anywhere, even though it was a two sub 50k car when I got

With in two monthes of owning the alfa I had planned a 2500 mike trip around Europe I it
Thanks given by:
These aren't bad cars to be fair mate. Not my cup of tea admittedly. But still good. When the dpf blocks up let us know I know someone near who will write it out ECU. If not I'm sure some mappers on here might be up to task. Smile hope you enjoynit
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2014, 06:50 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: So it'll require a new turbo soon unless it's always had OE quality filters and oil. Big Grin

I give it 6 months..

Full Ford history, I'd like to hope they use genuine filters. Wink

I did avoid any DV6s without full history lol. Found a 207 1.6TDCi that was overdue a service by about 10k! It'd only done 53k. Funny enough I didn't even bother test driving it. lol

(27-09-2014, 06:51 PM)swampy Wrote: I feel for you!
My Mondeo tdci was awful!
Was the 2.0 115bhp model but with the 6 speed box, would never manage any where near 50mpg even on a run

And when things go wrong they arnt cheap !

So, a completely unrelated engine in a completely different model then? lol

Not sure how they made that engine so poor on fuel tbh, even the Vectra 150CDTi did better than that...

(27-09-2014, 07:13 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: I hear the injector life is only 50k
faaaaar too much to go wrong.

I haven't heard that one tbh, and did a lot of DV6 research. What happens to them?

(27-09-2014, 07:21 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: These aren't bad cars to be fair mate. Not my cup of tea admittedly. But still good. When the dpf blocks up let us know I know someone near who will write it out ECU. If not I'm sure some mappers on here might be up to task. Smile hope you enjoynit

Doubt the DPF will block tbh, I dont really do short journeys and I'll take it on a run down to Felixstowe at 80 once or month or so. Will get rid of it before the 75k service anyway lol, that seems to be the point where stuff where stuff starts breaking anyway. lol
Thanks given by:
earlier ones loved to munch turbos and had breather issues, this being 6 years old, I don't know if its new enough.
Thanks given by:
hmmm. It looks smart. Is a bit Meh.

Get it mapped and ragg the crap out of it as it will blow its turbo/injectors at some point anyway!!

comon then...how much £££???
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
DV6s munch turbos because of carbon build up that gets stuck in the turbo oil line guaze and restricts oil flow. There were some changes made around 2007 to reduce it, but its still possible.

Various reasons for that -
Wrong oil (needs to be low SAPS)
Infrequent oil changes and poorly changed (so leaves some old oil behind) - Citroen specify the correct oil change procedure
Injector bolts coming loose and blowing carbon up straight into the oil - Ford specify tightening the injector bolts at services, Peugeot/Citroen don't! Confused

And basically once the engine's so full of carbon that the turbo pops, it's a full engine strip if you want to keep it any length of time. You can just clean the gauze and the oil pickup but chances are they'll block quickly again and pop another turbo. So fix and get rid quickly if that happens lol!
Thanks given by:
Great little engines imo, just a bit picky with their servicing. I was actually really impressed with the latest generations of focus too, they've upped their game considerably. Completely soulless, but comfortable, decently built and easy to drive.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I love this shape of Focus, test drove one when I was an ADI and thought it was easier to drive than my Corsa.

We've got an 08 reg panther black Mondeo TDCi 140 at the moment and it has been the best car we've had (and it's done 130k miles).

Road noise could be down to tyre choice, I had an Audi A3 the other week as a hire car and thought it was a) really noisy and b) cheap in comparison to the Mondeo.
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2014, 08:05 PM)Piggy Wrote: hmmm. It looks smart. Is a bit Meh.

Get it mapped and ragg the crap out of it as it will blow its turbo/injectors at some point anyway!!

comon then...how much £££???

No interest in mapping or ragging it tbh. It's weird tbh, 306s give me this 'foot to the floor, rage at everything' attitude. I get in this and I'm now holding other people up in my own, quiet, comfortable, calm, relaxed world. lol Honestly didn't realise the difference a change of car would make! Confused

It obviously wasn't cheap, and was a few 306s worth...but I had a few 306s and just ended up with a few 306s, it genuinely is worth the extra purchase price to me, and being a good spec and colour, wont depreciate as quick as a pov spec one. It was cheaper than book figures, and I got a little more off still as someone had put the wrong sign in the window, so saved £500 off the online price. lol I wont say exactly what I paid though...but it's significantly less than Niall's spent on his 306. lol

(27-09-2014, 08:10 PM)Poodle Wrote: Great little engines imo, just a bit picky with their servicing. I was actually really impressed with the latest generations of focus too, they've upped their game considerably. Completely soulless, but comfortable, decently built and easy to drive.

And that is exactly what I, and most consumers, are after! Big Grin

Don't get me wrong, if I had the chance at a GTi6/205 GTi or similar for a bit of a weekend thrash I wouldn't even hesitate to buy one. But for a daily, imo something like the Focus is an excellent all rounder. Smile

(27-09-2014, 08:11 PM)DavidA Wrote: I love this shape of Focus, test drove one when I was an ADI and thought it was easier to drive than my Corsa.

We've got an 08 reg panther black Mondeo TDCi 140 at the moment and it has been the best car we've had (and it's done 130k miles).

Road noise could be down to tyre choice, I had an Audi A3 the other week as a hire car and thought it was a) really noisy and b) cheap in comparison to the Mondeo.

Yep, very easy to drive...almost effortless tbh! Can even turn on Eco mode so it tells you when to change gear. lol Probably a gimmick but I'll give it a go at some point I reckon.

Ah that's the 2.0 based on the DW10 used in 306s, should be reliable! Running costs were a bit much for me though, and I didn't need as bigger car as the Mondeo...plus my Dad drives a Mondeo, not sure I could drive the same car as him lol!

Road noise could easily be down to tyres, I had a pair of Wanli's as spares on the 306 while having tyres fitted to the alloys....sounded like knackered wheel bearings lol!! The Focus has the OEM Hankooks on which seem good tbh, quiet as well. They're a common size too, so means the tyres are cheaper than the 306s ones lol. Will probably use Dunlop BlueResponse when these wear out...not sure how long that'll take though, down to about 4.5mm atm.
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2014, 08:20 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I didn't need as bigger car as the Mondeo...plus my Dad drives a Mondeo, not sure I could drive the same car as him lol!

That's the one thing we did need, my wife and I are both over 6 foot and my daughter is tall so we needed a car with plenty of legroom. The MG ZT-T we had before was crap for rear legroom.

My inlaws both drive Volvo V70 D5s and while I think they're a good car they're also lacking in space in the back.
Thanks given by:
best car my mate bought was the ford focus tom, looks a good one! Id leave it well a lone tom, don't go modding it. get your moneys worth out of it and just enjoy your self with other things.
Thanks given by:
We used to have these at work, they were the 110 TDCi's and apart from the electrics being a bit weak (constant flat batteries) they were good, the controls were a tad light for my liking and I think i'd of prefered the astra given the choice (just) but I like them better than the current focus which is ridiculously cramped
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2014, 10:36 PM)DavidA Wrote:
(27-09-2014, 08:20 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I didn't need as bigger car as the Mondeo...plus my Dad drives a Mondeo, not sure I could drive the same car as him lol!

That's the one thing we did need, my wife and I are both over 6 foot and my daughter is tall so we needed a car with plenty of legroom. The MG ZT-T we had before was crap for rear legroom.

My inlaws both drive Volvo V70 D5s and while I think they're a good car they're also lacking in space in the back.

I'm just under 6ft but fortunately I don't take passengers, well, ever atm. lol If I did, I don't think they'd be able to sit behind me tbf. Though at least the drivers seat moves back far enough, something that didn't happen in the 207/107/Fiesta I tried lol.

(27-09-2014, 11:19 PM)procta Wrote: best car my mate bought was the ford focus tom, looks a good one! Id leave it well a lone tom, don't go modding it. get your moneys worth out of it and just enjoy your self with other things.

Other things? Still trying to find some other things to do. lol

But yeah I won't mod it, not majorly anyway, but if something were to fail, say the backbox for example, it'd be rude not to uprate it. lol Other than that I'm just tidying it up. New genuine centre caps for a quid each, chrome logo dust caps and pressed plates so far lol. Best thing about getting a high spec one is there's nothing I need to do to it! Big Grin Also means the insurance is nice and cheap...£250 the year. Big Grin

(28-09-2014, 06:50 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: We used to have these at work, they were the 110 TDCi's and apart from the electrics being a bit weak (constant flat batteries) they were good, the controls were a tad light for my liking and I think i'd of prefered the astra given the choice (just) but I like them better than the current focus which is ridiculously cramped

The flat batteries is probably due to the 'smart charge' system, where it only engages the alternator when necessary to save fuel/emmisions, but it seems it doesn't engage it quite enough! Mine had a new genuine battery under warranty at 3 years old, but it still seems fine now. I still carry jump leads and tow ropes etc just in case. lol

I didn't like the new shape Astra at all tbh, they had a couple similar to the Focus at the same dealer so I did try them out, and a 308 as well, but much preferred the Focus over both of them. I know the light controls won't be everyones cuppa tea but that's one of the best parts for me! lol Tbh I was struggling to work out why anyone would want to make the steering heavier, I have tried the steering on sport mode but soon put it back to comfort haha.
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2014, 09:46 AM)Toms306 Wrote: But yeah I won't mod it, not majorly anyway, but if something were to fail, say the backbox for example, it'd be rude not to uprate it. lol

A colleague in Germany has an Audi RS4 and I was saying to him it needs a sportier exhaust note - it's so quiet - and he said he's thought that every since he got the car, but it's never needed to be replaced so he hasn't had the excuse to upgrade it...
Thanks given by:
Well, done a few miles in this now, about 500 since I picked it up...still can't really fault it...though I'm desperately trying. Tongue

Except the motorway MPG, not sure what's going on there. Averaging a bit over 60mpg between B road and small amount of town driving which I expected. But after doing a few longer runs on the A14/A12 the average mpg is dropping at 60mph!! It drops to about 54/55mpg average until I get back on the B road then it rises to 60ish again by the time I get home. If I just do a long B road run I can it to 70mpg lol. Can't work out what I'm doing wrong here though, window closed cos that makes a huge difference, no AC on, don't boot it on the slip road unless necessary, and sticking to 60mph with the occasional increase for an overtake (I don't like holding people up like an inconsiderate arse), undertrays complete and fitted and very little wind noise so don't think its a drag problem, no cruise control yet, but its a fairly constant 60 even with my useless foot lol. I know the DPF regen'd last week while I was doing maybe a little over 70 in 4th to help it regen, so I expected lower mpg that time, but it hasn't done it today or yesterday and the mpg wasn't much better.

I was expecting better on the dual carriageway, not worse lol, though as long as it consistently averages over 60mpg combined that's what I was expecting...would prefer a bit more at speed though if anyones got any tips?
Thanks given by: