Turbo finally on its way out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo finally on its way out?
The ph1 is still running the kkk it was born with and after just hitting 140,000 miles and a fair amount of abuse I'm starting to think its dying.

Power is very slightly reduced but it's not hitting the 21-23 psi it was before.
Also I cleaned a lot of oil off the back of the block to find a small drip off the housing a few hrs later.
The intercooler pipes are also filling with a 'pourable' amount of oil within a couple of weeks, more than I've ever had.

Is it time to replace old faithful? It's been a brilliant turbo but can't have it run away with the engine. Replace now and with what!?
Thanks given by:
Gt20/td04 etc maybe?
Thanks given by:
Well I've never had to look too much into turbos before so have to do more reading.

I want the same king of power band as I had as off the mark the xud is great up to 60-80 then runs out off puff. Something like a td04 wouldn't give me boost until I'm used to it fading off.
I want something with early spool and holds till the 4500/5000 mark. Looking to keep 0-60 times in mind as opposed to top speed.

Anyone here who went from a k series to something with similar 'early' spool for their upgrade?
Thanks given by:
Gt20 then
Thanks given by:
I'll look into them cheers mate
Thanks given by:
the gt2052/56s sounds ideal for what your after. i currently have a gt2052s on the estate epic little turbos. if you check out my project thread there is a few videos with 0-60 times. Smile
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2014, 08:39 AM)ash23 Wrote: the gt2052/56s sounds ideal for what your after. i currently have a gt2052s on the estate epic little turbos. if you check out my project thread there is a few videos with 0-60 times. Smile

I hate you =D
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Will this be a gearbox mount tho? Or will they go behind the block? This does sound like a good option...
Thanks given by:
You can get them down the back no problem with some adjustments.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'll have to speak to someone about adapter plates and lines...I can't weld
Thanks given by:
Lines are no issue, can use yours.

Adapter wise. Get a manifold and get it welded on for ease. Then a flange and 90 degree bend and your away for the exhaust side.

Clock the cold side into position and roberts your mothers brother
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cheers bud!
Just so happens my new neighbours into his cars, owns the r270 Megane sport and he has a guy that did a lovely 1 piece exhaust etc for him. He said he will give his mate a shout when I need turbo and exhaust doing.

Best get looking. Gutted my turbos going it's been great, but can't leave it till the seals go so...
Thanks given by:
I MAY have an epic turbo for sale pretty soon

PM me if you're interested
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2014, 12:08 PM)Piggy Wrote: I MAY have an epic turbo for sale pretty soon

Define 'epic'.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
'Epic' !? Intrigues me also!
I'm not planning on throwing rods any time soon bear in mind. I want something like the kkk that boosts longer but won't blow the engine.

As I've never driven a car without a stock turbo I'm not sure what I'm missing. Not many members around me with big blowers.
Thanks given by:
Better blower transforms an XUD.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Always been concerned with putting turbos on from higher revving petrol engines when the xud only revs to 5000 rpm (although my pump is gov'd). But as I have seen...it works! (At least for a while).
Sorry been around for a few years but turbos are relatively new territory. Always been like 'turbo works well,wait till it blows up to upgrade'
Thanks given by:
Meh, it's very simple until you get into VNT territory.

TD04L is the best bang per buck option.

Hardly laggier then a K14/T2 really and good up to 170'ish BHP.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Well td04 or a gt would be what I'm looking at. Want as little lag as possible early on.

Would save vnt till I'm building a second engine and know a bit more.

Best update the project thread now I've got some plans ;p. it's been too long.
Thanks given by:
Little lag and TD04 shouldnt be in the same sentence.

People need to move on from td04a seriously!!!!

VNT 20s can be had so cheap and easily setup on a boost can and be so much safer and efficient than a td04 at a million psi
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I wasn't convinced with the td04 tbh, I'll look into vnt's and gt20s.

I would just put another k14 on if It didn't die at 4500/5000 rpm, just doesn't hold boost at the top end.

Decisions decisions. I do like what you are doing with the estate though ash Wink

(25-09-2014, 12:08 PM)Piggy Wrote: I MAY have an epic turbo for sale pretty soon

Any more info on this or are you wanting to keep it 'off thread'?
Thanks given by:
Don't listen to Piggy.

TD04 is still a major improvement over T2/K14, go GT series if you can, but they can be hard to come by, generally more fragile and demand a much higher premium. Overall better turbo's, if money isn't an option it's a no brainer.

As for VNT's:

[Image: 3131464.jpg]
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Lol ^. Conflicting views. I'll just have to research a bit and make a decision. Cost is an issue but if it's going to last a while I could spend £1-200 on just the turbo. Anything more would be silly with my lack of knowledge.

Cheers for the input though people. Building an idea of the route I'll take now.
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2014, 01:42 PM)doogle-d turbo Wrote: Lol ^. Conflicting views. I'll just have to research a bit and make a decision. Cost is an issue but if it's going to last a while I could spend £1-200 on just the turbo. Anything more would be silly with my lack of knowledge.

Cheers for the input though people. Building an idea of the route I'll take now.

In an IDEAL world you'd of bought a GT2052/GT2056 bolt on kit for £150-£250 from someone on here.

They don't seem to come up often though.

TD04L kits crop up from time to time between £80-£150.

You could make either kit yourself but it's usually more expensive, time consuming and generally ball ache.

If you know/have any friends with a welder you could bodge a TD04 onto a manifold and make some home brew plates for under £50 if you got the turbo cheap enough.

In comparrison, good luck finding a GT2052/GT2056 for under £100, probably closer to £200.

As for VNT's, if you were feeling brave GT2052V's tend to go between £60-£120 on a regular basis.

For reference, I bought my GT2256V brand new for under £100 posted. There are bargains to be had.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
GT2052/56 can be had easily under £100...seen plenty at £60-70 too. Just gotta know what you are looking for.

And as said, GT20/22vnts can be had also for under £100.

Even GTBs arent that expensive anymore when you know what to search for.

PM me Doogle, we'll talk epic boost Smile

Its SO worth letting it go about old non variable turbos.

Seriously....they had their time and place yes...but are we all still using Nokia 3310s because they were better than sending telegram or using a stinky telephone box and are really tough to break??? No... !

Same with turbos. Garrett are now on 4th or 5th generation (depending on how you count them) variable geometry turbos....thats after their GT "S" range which were a step up from old skool TD04/T25s

I have been converted with this GTB and now....I understand
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2014, 02:08 PM)Piggy Wrote: GT2052/56 can be had easily under £100...seen plenty at £60-70 too. Just gotta know what you are looking for.

And as said, GT20/22vnts can be had also for under £100.

Even GTBs arent that expensive anymore when you know what to search for.

PM me Doogle, we'll talk epic boost Smile

Its SO worth letting it go about old non variable turbos.

Seriously....they had their time and place yes...but are we all still using Nokia 3310s because they were better than sending telegram or using a stinky telephone box and are really tough to break??? No... !

Same with turbos. Garrett are now on 4th or 5th generation (depending on how you count them) variable geometry turbos....thats after their GT "S" range which were a step up from old skool TD04/T25s

I have been converted with this GTB and now....I understand

Completely agree, VNT is the way, for someone who can't be arsed it certainly isn't. I still haven't bothered looking at mine to be fair. So not 100% sure how much ball ache it's going to be.

As for the 3310 comment...

[Image: myj6blfbh]

Legendary phone.. lmao
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
My nan is STILL using my old 3310! lol

Its not that difficult, set a decent stop on the vanes, wack a boost can on and MBC, it took me about 20min of driving/adjusting to get it where mine is now. Just go easy initially.

Back in the day people were scared of anything other than standard turbos!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Quote:Nokia 3310 is the best mobile phone ever. Check out its advantages over other phones.

1. Charge it once a month even if you use it everyday.
2. It will never break even if it falls from the heavens.
3. One of the cheapest phones ever.
4. It has a longer lifespan than other phones.
5. Phone warranty is not necessary.
6. It has changeable covers.
7. There’s no point buying screen protector for an indestructible phone.
8. Easy ringtone composition with the tone composer.
9. Ability to setup various profiles on the phone.
10. It has sold over 130 million units worldwide.
- See more at: http://www.rascojet.com/blog/2012/04/10-...wpjRl.dpuf
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I see what your both saying, if I get the opportunity I might buy a bolt on as it will be my first turbo change so don't want to get in past my depth. However if I don't sort the manifold/lines etc out myself I won't learn.

I've got contacts to sort out getting it in. My good mechanic mate does welding for a local garage so he will more than likely help, or the neighbours dude. Then there's the sense of actual achievement! I'm all about learning the mechanics with every mod/ fix I do on the car.

Also has snake (2) ! Iirc
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2014, 02:34 PM)silverzx Wrote:
Quote:Nokia 3310 is the best mobile phone ever. Check out its advantages over other phones.

1. Charge it once a month even if you use it everyday.
2. It will never break even if it falls from the heavens.
3. One of the cheapest phones ever.
4. It has a longer lifespan than other phones.
5. Phone warranty is not necessary.
6. It has changeable covers.
7. There’s no point buying screen protector for an indestructible phone.
8. Easy ringtone composition with the tone composer.
9. Ability to setup various profiles on the phone.
10. It has sold over 130 million units worldwide.
- See more at: http://www.rascojet.com/blog/2012/04/10-...wpjRl.dpuf

thats making me regret ordering a htc m8 last night!

as for the turbo talk its sounding like i need to get my head around vnt if my hybrid plan dont work how..
Thanks given by: