d turbo/gti 6 or hdi 306

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
d turbo/gti 6 or hdi 306
Could people list the pros and cons of these car iv had a stage 2 hdi 306 and it was a amazing little rocket and as my previous post says i will be looking at geting one soon?
Thanks given by:
Different cars altogether really, obviously the diesels are similar but a '6 is a whole different drive, great fun but i struggled to drive it sensibly done 90quid of fuel in a week. Reasonably quick car though. Would be the diesels everytime for me though. End of the day you need to make up your own mind.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah thinking about a stage 3 hdi as i dobt have to drive to much as will have a company van next month and im driving a audi a3 1.8t at the moment wich is doing 22 mpg wich is rubbish haha
Thanks given by:
A 6 would always be my choice over a diesel. But the diesel returns the miles per gallon. The 6 provides the smiles per gallon. Really the 6 is the ultimate 306 though. Top everything. An hdi DTurbo is gti-6 suspension setup with a Diesel engine so if you get one of those. Pop '6 brakes on and do a stage 3 would be the ultimate diesel 306. If you have your daily sorted with the company van you're sorted. A 6 is the ultimate smile on your face car.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Decisions
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2014, 08:21 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: A 6 would always be my choice over a diesel. But the diesel returns the miles per gallon. The 6 provides the smiles per gallon. Really the 6 is the ultimate 306 though. Top everything. An hdi DTurbo is gti-6 suspension setup with a Diesel engine so if you get one of those. Pop '6 brakes on and do a stage 3 would be the ultimate diesel 306. If you have your daily sorted with the company van you're sorted. A 6 is the ultimate smile on your face car.

what i am doing... =D
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2014, 08:21 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: A 6 would always be my choice over a diesel. But the diesel returns the miles per gallon. The 6 provides the smiles per gallon. Really the RALLYE is the ultimate 306 though. Top everything. An hdi DTurbo is gti-6 suspension setup with a Diesel engine so if you get one of those. Pop '6 brakes on and do a stage 3 would be the ultimate diesel 306. If you have your daily sorted with the company van you're sorted. A 6 is the ultimate smile on your face car.

EFA Wink
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
IMO

D-turbo down sides nill Smile
hdi down sides to much electrical bollox
GTI6 down sides its not a diesel
Thanks given by:
XUD downsides - crap engine purely by design. throws rods, runs hot, have too change most major engine components too actually get any decent gains from it...

HDi downsides - Great for economy / daily driving, Shit for performance.

GTi6 / Rallye downsides - Low MPG, High running costs.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
if you have a diesel then youll save money on fuel... which is more money to spend on the car!
Thanks given by:
Rallye downsides....you have to wind down the windows!! Confused And don't get any leather. Confused

GTI6 downsides - Fuel, insurance, cambelt intervals
HDi downsides - Slow as standard (slight improvement stage 1), crank pulleys, lift pumps. Despite the extra sensors/electronics, they don't fail nearly as often as people make out!!
XUD downsides - Poor cooling leading to headgasket issues, blowing rods, slow as standard, worse mpg than hdi (but can run veg with a Bosch)
Thanks given by:
After owning all three, my piece.

GTI6 - Is super fun to drive, amazing as a base for handling modifications and personally, is something i'd take pride in detailing as opposed to spending money on engine/power mods as it can get pricy and quite technical and time consuming

XUD - Is relatively cheap and easy to modify and again is amazing to drive with a decent turbo. Down side is that most DT's don't tend to be that visually appealing and is a diesel which can be an off putter to some

Hdi - Never modified but a decent compromise between a GTi and DT. Dturbo specs have GTi suspension setups and modification to stage 1 can be relatively simple.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
All in all mate. If you want a drivers car. Get a 6. If you have to compromise for mpg get an hdi. HDi can still be fun but requires extra work and money poured in and will never really match up to a 6.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
I've had all three, for me the gti6 wins hands down. They're not even that bad on fuel if you can resist driving enthusiastically (which I never cian haha)

Gti6 is a quick car even totally standard, holds up very well against alot of more powerful modern cars, spend some money on decent suspension and tyres and it'll never fail to put a smile on your face

One of the last proper hot hatches imo

Xud are fun enough, and given the right turbo and supporting mods will do a similar 40-70 time to a 6,but then gets left behind whilst cooking itself to death..

Hdi can be a good laugh, far more reliable than an xud from personal experience with only a few basic changes to get decent gains but at the end of the day it's still a van engine, not a performance machine

Gti6 ftmfw
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I'm a huge XUD fan, but as you mention you aren't doing many miles and you have a works van, the obvious answer is get a 6. Keep the 6 standard, maybe refresh suspension components and do some general restoration type work. You will likely find it will increase in value during your ownership. Buy an XUD/HDI and you could spend huge amounts wringing out more bhp, none of which you will get back at resale, so in reality the 6 is the cheaper car total cost of ownership wise, the most reliable and the better drive. If you want to take a car to a B road or track, a petrol has fundamental benefits that a diesel can never have, don't get too hung up on which has more bhp.
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
Only thing that I would say in addition to what's already been said is that in my experience the VAG 1.8T engines are normally pretty good on fuel - if you're only getting 22mpg from yours, you're likely to get worse from a GTi-6 driving it in the same manner (assuming the 1.8T isn't distinctly broken of course!)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
easy answer... buy both as i have
HDI for a daily and a Six for the weekend

if i were to drive the six daily i surley would have an empty wallet as in no money nor driving licence!

the hdi just does its job and is ideal for a daily

the six is another animal yes you can drive it around all dosile but its no fun untill you push that loud pedal past the 4500rpm mark then it grows large teeth and will bite you if you dont respect it
Thanks given by:
Depends what you like doing..

Tinkering with turbos?
Coaling out people?
Listening to GTi6 Bwarp?
Filling it with veg with a smug smile?

The list goes on..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Get a 6.
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Buy my '6. Even better idea.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
had hdi and dturbos not had a 6 myself but had plenty of hot hatch petrols!
for me the dturbo wins but thats because i enjoy the building of cars just as much as driving them and if i want to go really fast hoon id always take the bike Wink
Thanks given by:
6's make the most phenomenal noise for a 16v engine
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2014, 04:01 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: 6's make the most phenomenal noise for a 16v engine

Rolleyes
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2014, 08:19 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(23-09-2014, 08:21 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: A 6 would always be my choice over a diesel. But the diesel returns the miles per gallon. The 6 provides the smiles per gallon. Really the Phase win gti-6 is the ultimate 306 though. Top everything. An hdi DTurbo is gti-6 suspension setup with a Diesel engine so if you get one of those. Pop '6 brakes on and do a stage 3 would be the ultimate diesel 306. If you have your daily sorted with the company van you're sorted. A 6 is the ultimate smile on your face car.

EFA Wink
Fixed again. lmao
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I've had all 3, although I never modified my xud, but they're great for veg.
Diesels I prefer hdi, mine was very reliable and great on fuel.
But my gti6 just puts smiles on my face much more than any car I've owned.

Only really ever drive my car now on a sunday as I walk to work, but when I do get to drive it I fall in love with it every time!

You have a daily work van, so buy a 6!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2014, 04:01 PM)ADV_93 Wrote: 6's make the most phenomenal noise for a 16v engine

They do make a good noise but get a grp A scutle induction on a Mk1 clio 1.8 16v / Williams and it makes the '6 sound like a fart in a scaffold pipe. lol
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Shut up about thos crap clio's!!!!!111!!!

Anyway, I would say none of the above....you want a XUD11 306 Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2014, 07:18 AM)Piggy Wrote: Shut up about thos crap clio's!!!!!111!!!

Anyway, I would say none of the above....you want a XUD11 306 Wink

Shut up about those crap XUD11 306's Wink

Feel free to have a passenger ride in my Mk1 clio though.. guarantee it'll shock you.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2014, 06:50 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

They do make a good noise but get a grp A scutle induction on a Mk1 clio 1.8 16v / Williams and it makes the '6 sound like a fart in a scaffold pipe. lol

I have had the pleasure of hearing a Williams Clio (mk1) piped at full chat and they sound excellent! French 4 pot petrols are probably some of the best sounding about. Went out in a '6 for the first time a few weeks ago and was blown away by it! Epic cars!
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Iv had all 3 and if you want mpg then go for an hdi or hdi dturbo what I had for the handling, but personally I'd defiantly go for a 6! I love mine and never looked back on buying it! Couldn't justify using it everyday again but still not stupidly bad on mpg really, but as others have said it's a brilliant car for what it is and you will not never have a smile on your face while driving it! Especially for the price you can pick one up for now as well!!
Thanks given by: