Clutch cable change not gone as planned!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch cable change not gone as planned!
Morning all, clutch cable on my 99' ph2 snapped not so long ago and I was trying to replace it yesterday. However as in title it didn't go well at all connected it both ends, released the auto-adjuster and now there is that much slack in the cable that the pedal once depressed won't even return a little bit. Almost like I'm missing something...

But.... prior to fitting the goon that helped me to install it kind of released the adjuster cap and put it back on thinking it would be ok (he has some f@#ked up meddling hands syndrome), despite being told to leave it alone hahaha.

What is the problem here? Please help can post pictures if it helps Wink
Thanks given by:
Shouldnt need to touch the auto adjuster at all...hence why its called an auto adjuster.
You just fit the cable and give the pedal a few pumps!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You can take the cap off and put it back fine. Its only if you take it off then pull it past its maximum adjustment that they break.

It sounds like you might've been sold the wrong cable though, one that's too long to start with.
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2014, 09:47 AM)Piggy Wrote: Shouldnt need to touch the auto adjuster at all...hence why its called an auto adjuster.
You just fit the cable and give the pedal a few pumps!?

Can't pump the pedal as it won't return after it is depressed :L too much slack there for some reason. Although when the RAC guy had a look he pulled the old cable out from the gearbox arm wondering if he removed something I need for fitting my new one? This is where most of the slack is

That's assuming I have fitted it correctly. Connected both ends, clipped it all in, released the auto adjuster, then nothing through the pedal...
Thanks given by:
Don't know if this pic will help, but this is what I'm dealing with...
Thanks given by:
lmao

Sorry....couldnt help but laugh out loud!!!!!

You havnt fitted it really....the part on the clutch lever is actually two halves, one half goes on the lever its on now and the outer half on the bracket about 3inches towards the front of the vehicle
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
What piggy said, bit of a fail going on there, you have just pulled the cable right in on itself heh. where that plastic retainer is, you need the other part of the cable there so it has something to pull against!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I think the plastic retainer is in the right place Darren!?

It wouldnt be if it was a petrol but this is a xud i believe
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The three pieces to the right of the clutch arm in the picture should be in the metal bracket, so that when you depress the clutch pedal it pulls the clutch arm towards the metal bracket.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Stupid pull type clutches haha! That is a bit of a fail. lol
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2014, 11:56 AM)Piggy Wrote: lmao

Sorry....couldnt help but laugh out loud!!!!!

You havnt fitted it really....the part on the clutch lever is actually two halves, one half goes on the lever its on now and the outer half on the bracket about 3inches towards the front of the vehicle

Yourr right I didnt fit it correctly hahaha Big Grin but the thing is I still cant separate the outer three pieces to bring them over the bracket now Confused The clutch arm is way too stiff and I have no slack in the cable...
Thanks given by:
Just pull ya big wuss!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Have a feelin the auto adjuster has adjusted itself I cant get any cable to budge lol
Thanks given by:
Put the bracket in first, then the one on the arm...
Thanks given by:
Did you use a genuine or aftermarket cable?
Thanks given by:
Nevermind people, I ended up cheating a bit and got the local mobile mechanic on it. I was strugglin for hours trying jyst to get the cable over both the clutch arm and the bracket lol. He ended up comin down and fitted it for 20 boys. By the time my mate had gone to the shop and back he'd done it hahaha. I suppose it just takes someone with a knack gor it sometimes Big Grin thanks for the help anyway tho. Hopefully I'll crack it next time Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New clutch cable needed jcsh 3 1,821 11-02-2021, 05:01 PM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Citroen ZX 1.9 TD Clutch Cable drew 0 1,435 17-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Last Post: drew
  clutch cable routing carlukepeugeot 4 2,330 29-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: carlukepeugeot