Alternator cables hot and melting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternator cables hot and melting
HI
I wander is anyone can offer some advice
a couple of days ago my306 hdi would not start - it had good battery power but the starter solenoid was not clicking and it would not turn over - recovery man(idiot) tried putting a booster pack on it which highlighted that the earth on the gearbox was bad and after some fiddling got it to start - I was not at home at the time as its really my wifes car. anyway ithas run fine since but to be sure tonight I have replaced the starter motor, and the earth wires from the battery to the gearbox and from gearbox to the chassis

anyway having thought I had done a good job I was checking the wiring with the engine running and noticed that where the live wires connect to the alternator the plastic looked melted - I touched it lightly and after only a few minutes running it was bloody hot. this has obviously been happening for a while as the 13mm nut bolting the wires to the alternator is rusted solid along with the terminal bolt and the plastic is quite warped from the heat, so bad in fact that I am sure it will snap when I try to remove it - the wire is quite cool at the starter and the at the battery - the only place the wires are really hot is at the alternator so I wander if its the alternator at fault or do you think it could still be an earthing problem.

also if i replace the alternator I am going to replace the wire running to the starter but does anyone know where the other thick black wire goes as it appears to disappear in to the engine loom?

cheers
will
Thanks given by:
Hot points in the loom are usually caused by a loose or poor connection, probably because it's quite so heavily rusted, as you've said.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Make sure the cable isn't directly bolted to the actual body of the alternator. It needs to be insulated between the terminal and the body.

I did this recently by accident and it earthed through the alternator and got bloody hot
Thanks given by:
replaced the alternator with a new one, replaced the wires and its fine now but a hell of a faf of a jobSmile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  clutch cables??? Chris_90 10 2,927 22-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Arron