smoke for poke?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smoke for poke?
OK so I have seen a few very heavy smoking hdi's around my area all remapped stage 1, my query is as I would like a remap is it going to make my car join the heavy smokers club or are they running a shit high fuel map? My hdi doesn't smoke not even under acceleration that I have been told of, im worried that if I run a stage 1 map my clean 306 will look as though it's had a hard unhealthy abused life, so does anyone have stage 1 and no smoke or is it all smoke for the extra poke?
Thanks given by:
Are you sure they are hdis and not xuds. Hdis shouldnt smoke at all or very little if they do. Get a good map and you will be fine unless you have an issue (eg. Boost leak)
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hdi's mate 2 of them owned by associates both running the same map and both chuffing heavy smoke both engines in the 180k region too
Thanks given by:
who have done the maps though? or are they just crappy ebay tuning boxes?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not sure who the lad is providing the maps I was offered it through a 3rd party for 50 quid seemed a bit cheap for a re map?
Thanks given by:
JP does them for around that...but his stg1s or even stg2s I dont believe are smokey
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Im not trying to be funny against the lad just don't want to map my car if it's going to leave plumes of smoke behind me, it's like walking on hot coals to get to something you want im in two minds go for it and suffer the pain of smoke or walk away and stay standard
Thanks given by:
The mappers on here will all be able to produce a good quality map that doesnt smoke.
Thanks given by:
Whats wrong with a bit of smoke? I actually missed it when I owned a petrol lol. lol

Whats this '3rd party'? If he's selling a copy of someone elses map it shouldn't be anywhere near £50 lol.

Tbh, HDi remaps are all a bit smoky...infact, even as standard they smoke a bit, you just don't tend to see it in the mirror. I have had a half arsed stage 1 Whippy map which wasn't overly smoky, but was still as dull as standard... I've had many in between. But now on a JP stage 1+ map, which is smoky I admit, but its the torqiest map I've had so far, I also have a 'non plus' stage 1, but theres no chance I'd go back to it now. Wink
Thanks given by:
Will have to stalk them out and see what they can offer thank you guys
Thanks given by:
I've had stage 1 JP map, barely notice any smoke in the day, can notice a tad in the night with the lighting under hard acceleration
Thanks given by:
Had JP map a 206 i had for a while, only a very slight bit of smoke, next to nothing, really good results too Smile
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
This jp seems to be the guy to get in contact with
Thanks given by:
As above, speak to James (Jammapic) and he'll be able to sort you out with what you want.

I was happy with a little smoke on full load so he was happy to push the fuelling a bit harder on mine than you'd be able to otherwise to if you wanted one that was smokeless. Transformed the power and delivery and I wouldn't consider going back to how it was before ThumbsUp

PS. Not an issue at all at MOT time - had mine tested earlier this month and sailed through the smoke test with a reading of 0.3 (limit is 3.0)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
For the sake of variety, there are other good mappers available.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I got a stage 1 map from pro-Steve, hdi tuning, love it, loadsa grunt and no smoke, far more fun than a standard car
Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeh I've heard of pro steve @ hdi tuning, can do a postal service remap just means I won't have a car for a few days
Thanks given by:
Could just buy an MPPS cable (or similar) off eBay for £15 and do the map yourself if you've got a laptop. Quite straight forward and means that the whole remap is done in about 5 minutes.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Ha ha nah im useless with a laptop I'd end up wiping my ecu
Thanks given by:
If I can manage it, anyone can. Wink

I also rate Steve's maps, but for the price difference I went with JP this time. You could use Whippy but he's not easy to get hold of lol!
Thanks given by:
How many attempts did it take toms306? Ha ha im crap with technology If it doesn't work first time pack it up an chuck it in the back of the cupboard thats my logic
Thanks given by:
Steve did my stage 3. Come to the christmas meet and get him to map it on your way up?!
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2014, 09:01 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: PS. Not an issue at all at MOT time - had mine tested earlier this month and sailed through the smoke test with a reading of 0.3 (limit is 3.0)

Same here, decat & stage 1 passed with no issues
Thanks given by:
Think im going to have to come up for a meet soon put some faces to the alias's
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2014, 09:01 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: As above, speak to James (Jammapic) and he'll be able to sort you out with what you want.

I was happy with a little smoke on full load so he was happy to push the fuelling a bit harder on mine than you'd be able to otherwise to if you wanted one that was smokeless. Transformed the power and delivery and I wouldn't consider going back to how it was before ThumbsUp

PS. Not an issue at all at MOT time - had mine tested earlier this month and sailed through the smoke test with a reading of 0.3 (limit is 3.0)

Bloody quick as well!
Just to give you an idea, I'd had to keep the 205 gti6 right on the boil to keep up.
Your estate has a hell of a lot of grunt down low! With a slipping clutch as well
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2014, 04:51 PM)thebluepearl Wrote: How many attempts did it take toms306? Ha ha im crap with technology If it doesn't work first time pack it up an chuck it in the back of the cupboard thats my logic

Did my first remap on a £2500 Golf...one attempt, worked perfectly. Wink

Have done several others since, various cars/engines and so far its been ok. There is the chance of bricking the ECU, but aslong as you do it when you've got a plan B (use of another car or when youre not at work the next day) then it doesn't matter so much if the worst should happen. It is rare though, probably only read of 5 people on here bricking ECUs over a few years!
Thanks given by:
Ive got a Stage 1 off Mr Whippy, had it since April and done around 5000 miles, when I first got it done it wasn't that smokey to be honest, although I wasn't concentrating on the rear of the car as I was enjoying the extra power too much.

Ive found that at times when the car seems to be pulling really well theres a bit of smoke. But to be honest, I only ever usually see smoke at night when booting it out of the rear window with someones lights shining at the back of my car.

Go for a Stage 1 with any of the forum tuners and your cars in 100% safe hands!
Theres Steve (HDI Tuning), Jammapic or Mr Whippy. I went to Mr Whippy to get mine done and he did a before and after diagnostics run as well as the remap, was very happy with his service and is a top bloke. Will be going back again eventually for a Stage 2.
Thanks given by:
They're probably smoking due to a boost leak very common on the dw10 engine.

[Image: 008bf12a15f03b5643359eda35cb1663.jpg]

My mates was apart quite bad and was causing a lot of smoke on a stage 1. With this fixed and no other leaks a stage 1 shouldn't smoke at all unless given some proper booting about.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
No hdi should smoke! Smoke means high EGT, this is especially critical on a stage1 that is not intercooled. But i guess the 'tuners' now don't really care they just want to show the most bhp on the rollers. Sad
Thanks given by:
Sod the bo on rollers I want a healthy remap little more torque and a gain in bhp would put a smile on my face I'd rather a healthy 120bhp stable non smoking remap to a 133bhp heavy smoker
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Less Smoke - Less Poke? C.A.R. 13 2,279 27-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Midnightclub
  Black smoke with exhaust and egr valve smoke in engine Welshy_Pete 35 12,115 30-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle