Vnt down the back of the engine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vnt down the back of the engine
Has anyone managed to fit a vnt turbo down the back of the engine instead of a gearbox mount?

I think it could be tight for space for the actuator but I may give it a try.

Thinking at least a 2260v
Thanks given by:
Plenty of gt17 and gt20 vnts been done. You wont get a GT2260vnt down there though.

Have you considered GTC18 or GTB2056??

Smaller than the GT2260vnt but much more efficient
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It'll be very tight.

Depends on turbo though, you can fit one down there, but it'll take a lot of playing with to get it in the right location. I did it with my 2052V and Dave did it with a 2260V, but he seriously modified the stock manifold to the point I don't think you could call it a stock manifold!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks. I will have a look out for daves.

Basically I have achieved 206bhp with an old waste gate turbo. I was hoping to make just a bit more power and wanted to get more power over the rev range.

I am deciding between a gt2560r which I already have but Also considering vnt now.

Would the gtb vnts be much benefit over the gt2560r?

Cheers

I think if I could get my hands on a gtb2260 I would try to make it fit down there. But I won't be cutting any of the car awaylol
Thanks given by:
Imo you could fairly easily get any VNT down there 60mm compressor adn below, theres loads of room, you just have to put the turbo / actuator in the right position...Its just a bit of a farce mincing around down there...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 12:11 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Imo you could fairly easily get any VNT down there 60mm compressor adn below, theres loads of room, you just have to put the turbo / actuator in the right position...Its just a bit of a farce mincing around down there...

I'm going to give it a try. Is going vnt worth the hassle over a wg turbo?
Thanks given by:
Well, put it this way...

A GT2560R won't be on song until past 3200rpm at least.

A GT2260V will be on boost by 2600RPM - but you'll be limited by surge.

A GTB2260VK with the correct headwork will give you 28lbs of boost by ~2100rpm - again you'll be limited by surge, but the compressors are MUCH more surge resistant.

All of which will give you power to >5200RPM if the pump can keep up. Again, with correct headwork, a GTB2260VK is a 300hp turbo if you can deliver the fuel to it at the right time.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
do you own the cherry red 306 on youtube by any chance?
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its tight fitting a big turbo down there but there is space, the problem is fabbing stuff down the back of the bay is such a farce. I'd go for gearbox mounting for the sake of ease.

I would definitely go for a big VNT turbo. You get the top end flow exactly the same as the WG turbos you'll be looking at but you also get the low end flow of a much smaller turbo which makes the car far far far more driveable than the WG turbo and IMO for a car thats used daily 10bhp mid range is worth 20bhp top end.
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 02:19 PM)padge Wrote: do you own the cherry red 306 on youtube by any chance?

Yes lol

(08-09-2014, 04:51 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Its tight fitting a big turbo down there but there is space, the problem is fabbing stuff down the back of the bay is such a farce. I'd go for gearbox mounting for the sake of ease.

I would definitely go for a big VNT turbo. You get the top end flow exactly the same as the WG turbos you'll be looking at but you also get the low end flow of a much smaller turbo which makes the car far far far more driveable than the WG turbo and IMO for a car thats used daily 10bhp mid range is worth 20bhp top end.

Cheers. I just not keen on moving the battery.
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 01:46 PM)Ruan Wrote: Well, put it this way...

A GT2560R won't be on song until past 3200rpm at least.

A GT2260V will be on boost by 2600RPM - but you'll be limited by surge.

A GTB2260VK with the correct headwork will give you 28lbs of boost by ~2100rpm - again you'll be limited by surge, but the compressors are MUCH more surge resistant.

All of which will give you power to >5200RPM if the pump can keep up. Again, with correct headwork, a GTB2260VK is a 300hp turbo if you can deliver the fuel to it at the right time.

That's the info I was after. Cheers
Thanks given by:
was the video just td04 @ 40psi?
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 07:50 PM)padge Wrote: was the video just td04 @ 40psi?

It was an old merc kkk of a e300td
Thanks given by:
Music 
[Image: IMAG1870_zpsaa0f205c.jpg]

This was a 2260V I was running down the back with no modifications to the chassis at all, apart from the gear linkages which were a simple cut/reweld. This was compound with an oldschool lorry turbo over the gearbox.

[Image: IMAG0068-1_zpsafab1272.jpg]

This was quite comical as some people couldn't figure out how I could get the big blower to spool so soon Inlove stealth VNT down the back Wink
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers dave. What power did that thing make
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2014, 02:03 AM)Dave Wrote: [Image: IMAG1870_zpsaa0f205c.jpg]

This was a 2260V I was running down the back with no modifications to the chassis at all, apart from the gear linkages which were a simple cut/reweld. This was compound with an oldschool lorry turbo over the gearbox.

[Image: IMAG0068-1_zpsafab1272.jpg]

This was quite comical as some people couldn't figure out how I could get the big blower to spool so soon Inlove stealth VNT down the back Wink

Damn Dave, I need to see this thing going on the road again - compound ftmfw
Thanks given by:
If moving the battery was the only reason for not doing a gearbox mount turbo then id move the battery. If you want to keep the engine looking stock then go rear mounted.
I think id rather have it gearbox mounted cos its such a ballache changing turbos down the back of the engine.
Thanks given by: