Ian from Glasgow with the Diablo Red 6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ian from Glasgow with the Diablo Red 6
I bought a low mileage six about 3 weeks ago.

Drove it up from London and it was brilliant.

The reason for buying was turning 40 and having not done anything to a car in 20 years. I used to work on Mk1 and Mk2 fiestas i had. Made a wee earner out of going to scrappy's and picking up bits, and selling on. My dad used to buy do and up and sell cars so he had all the tools and skills. So was handy to get him to help when i was struggling. Eg he showed me how to manually grind the valves on the kitchen work surface. Best thing was my mum didn't seem to bother. My OH now....well she expects a tidy garage. And actually hates the fact i spend time on the car.

Anyway. So the AC had packed in when i bought the car. Was apparently working but they went to recharge it for me and it sprung a leak. Likely story but i bought the car anyway. So i'm currently struggling away having removed the radiator, condensor and dryer. Need to get the lower AC pipes off. But everything is corroded as expected on a 16 year old car so getting bits off isn't easy. Still it's not my DD so no rush. The only concern is lack of daylight in the coming months. But i had a head torch somewhere.

Driving the car was a blast. I'm loving the tape deck (found one tape i hadn't thrown out from 20 yearsa ago - i threw out all my tapes this summer! Still annoys me!) and cd changer (have House of Pain, Metallica's Black album and Snoop Dog which was the soundtrack to my 91 and when i first past my test.)

After the AC is sorted. I plan to get the squidy steering bits sorted, then the suspension B12 Pro Kit seems likely but still lots of reading to do. Then get a steering wheel which sits closer to me.

Currently spamming for 100 so i can buy bits of the breakers on here.

Strut brace, spark plugs, xsara mists (i bought the wrong ones first time!), aero wipers, K&N filter, gearbox oil all sitting waiting to be done once the car is back running.

Am on the look out for 16" alloys too. The Cyclones are in bad condition and i have 4 different tyres too!

The final thing i will do is sort out the paintwork. Lots of laquer peel on Diablo Red I plan on having a go myself. As that is the reason for me buying the car. But last resort i will get it done by a body shop.

Anyway i'm Ian from Glasgow! Smile
Thanks given by:
Hi and welcome, sounds like a good project have you got any pics .
Thanks given by:
Oh yeah here's the car as is. I took plenty on my proper camera but don't have with me.

[attachment=18742]
Thanks given by:
It looks tidy I've got a Diablo sxi, my lacquer is starting to peel tooSad
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 11:31 AM)Adam-m-h Wrote: It looks tidy I've got a Diablo sxi, my lacquer is starting to peel tooSad

It's only done 36500 miles (last owner was doing 3000 miles per year as the MOT's confirm). And the seat hasn't ripped yet. Very much an impulse buy. I was actually after track car with an MOT. But this seemed too nice not to pick up. And part of the reason for buying it was to have a go a getting my hands dirty. So replacing bits is part of the experience. So far so good. But getting the gearbox oil changed and seeing how crunchy it is after that will be key. It's not bad warmed up so fingers crossed.

But the bonnet, boot and roof at pretty bad with laquer peel. Can't see it from the drivers seat. So i'll leave it till last.

But the auto-wipers and heated mirrors work. The electric windows on drivers side is a bit jerky. But will take a look when i get new front door speakers.
Thanks given by:
That's good mileage, if it's going to be a long term "project" you could have road legal track car.
I think Niall has supercharged a 6
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 11:37 AM)Adam-m-h Wrote: That's good mileage, if it's going to be a long term "project" you could have road legal track car.

I'm not too up on mechanics. So will probably keep it standard in terms of power. But......i've said that before*. Need to get all the stopping and steering bits sorted first. Which will take a while.

*I now have over 1000bhp sitting on my drive!! Smile
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 11:44 AM)MisterGTR Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 11:37 AM)Adam-m-h Wrote: That's good mileage, if it's going to be a long term "project" you could have road legal track car.

I'm not too up on mechanics. So will probably keep it standard in terms of power. But......i've said that before*. Need to get all the stopping and steering bits sorted first. Which will take a while.

*I now have over 1000bhp sitting on my drive!! Smile

That's a fair amount of horsepower
What does your collection consist of?
Thanks given by:
Stage 4 GTR(the fat Datsun)
Standard X5 40D (will get tuned as a soon as someone cracks the ECU so i can do it myself - not likely at present).
Thanks given by:
Hi Ian, welcome to the forum mate. Great to see another low mileage 6 in Scotland. I look forward to seeing your progress. Any plans to get it on a track?
Thanks given by:
Pics of the 'fat datsun' plz Smile
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2014, 04:27 PM)Dj306 Wrote: Hi Ian, welcome to the forum mate. Great to see another low mileage 6 in Scotland. I look forward to seeing your progress. Any plans to get it on a track?
Yeah that was the reason for buying. Want to do my basic race license. And I figured the cost of tyres on the fat Datsun would indulge me. And just impulse bought.

but now am caught up with fixing the ac!! So won't be stripped out racer. But will go down the route of fitting decent suspension and new bits (need to figure out what). Then get it up to knockhill next year.
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2014, 04:29 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Pics of the 'fat datsun' plz Smile
I only have good ones from 5 years ago. Will try dig them out.
Thanks given by:
Was at the pfc day at knockhill the other week, good day but only 3 gti-6s there including me. Am also waiting to get a few bits fitted before I hit the track.
Thanks given by:
Hi welcome to the forum. Hello
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2014, 10:49 PM)Ican Wrote: Hi welcome to the forum. Hello
Thanks. Need to pick your brains!! PM coming up

(05-09-2014, 10:49 PM)Ican Wrote: Hi welcome to the forum. Hello
Your inbox is full
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum,always nice to see another diablo gti-6,Hello
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 12:26 AM)mcvite Wrote: Welcome to the forum,always nice to see another diablo gti-6,Hello
Cheers. Hope I can get her looking good as yours!!
Thanks given by:
You can't PM me until I reach a 100 posts. Nospeak

I have received about 10 of these since the new policies have been implemented. Rolleyes

"Ican,

This is an automated email from 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum to let you know that your Private Messaging inbox has reached its capacity.

One or more users may have tried to send you private messages and were unsuccessful in doing so because of this.

Please delete some of your private messages you currently have stored, remembering to also delete them from the 'Trash Can'.

Thank you,
306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum Staff http://306oc.co.uk/forum "
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 12:44 AM)Ican Wrote: You can't PM me until I reach a 100 posts. Nospeak

I have received about 10 of these since the new policies have been implemented. Rolleyes

"Ican,

This is an automated email from 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum to let you know that your Private Messaging inbox has reached its capacity.

One or more users may have tried to send you private messages and were unsuccessful in doing so because of this.

Please delete some of your private messages you currently have stored, remembering to also delete them from the 'Trash Can'.

Thank you,
306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum Staff http://306oc.co.uk/forum "
Ah well....we could discuss the weather and how cool your car is your 40 posts.

Surely guys like you who have contributed a very useful faq deserve a wee post count boost Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ian [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Thanks given by:
[attachment=18794]

Dremel, or rather my cheap copy ftw.

Now just to figure out how the pipes remove at either end.

But I'm away for a week from Monday and no doubt when I come to refit it will be much colder and wetter.

[attachment=18795]

Picked up these for putting the hoses back on. Take it no issues with these? Over the spring loaded ones.
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 02:27 AM)MisterGTR Wrote: Ah well....we could discuss the weather and how cool your car is your 40 posts.

Surely guys like you who have contributed a very useful faq deserve a wee post count boost Smile

Thanks, I am plodding away at it so it won't be to long. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
[attachment=18796]

What are these two hoses? Thought I best ask before I disconnect to see if I can get to ac connection below.
Thanks given by:
Fuel pipes
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2014, 07:06 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Fuel pipes
Thanks. I was guessing I shouldn't disconnect as that would be too easy.

Need to find some child to get their hands in the gap and use the spring lock tool Smile

Another thing I'm realising about old age. Backs and necks are not like they were last time I did this. But more telling is night vision. I really struggle as soon as it gets to dusk. Need to find my old head torch!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie From Glasgow, Need A Bit Of Help Too ! Chris_GlanzaV98 6 1,596 30-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Last Post: kentiiboii