Halfords MOT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halfords MOT
(28-08-2014, 06:03 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(28-08-2014, 05:46 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Yeah happy I'm going with someone on the forum Smile gives me a lot more hope that it will pass haha

I wouldn't necessarily have more hope that it would pass but more hope that it is done fairly, honestly and thoroughly.

Yeah that's a fair point Smile just feel a bit better knowing it's going to be done by someone who I know and understands the 306 haha

(28-08-2014, 06:38 PM)Tom85 Wrote: This thread has reminded me of some amusing advisories on my car MOTd at Halfords by a previous owner a few years ago:

[Image: eza8yvam.jpg]

Some of those seem a little petty lol
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 07:31 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Some of those seem a little petty lol

And some of those seem pretty serious, Tyre perished and cracking? Nail in tyre? Both of them should surely fail.
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 07:54 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(28-08-2014, 07:31 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Some of those seem a little petty lol

And some of those seem pretty serious, Tyre perished and cracking? Nail in tyre? Both of them should surely fail.

Yeah I would have thought a nail in a tyre is a fail at the very least. The slightly low oil level made me laugh though - wonder if they tried to sell him/her some oil afterwards along with everything to fix the advisories.
Thanks given by:
I think the nail is just an advisory but a cracked tyre is illegal?
Thanks given by:
Seem like fair advisories tbh

Nail in tread isn't a fail, as it may not have penetrated (gigidy) and unless you can see cords through the cracks, its not a fail. Why shouldn't they try and sell someone oil if it needs it? How dare hey try and fix a car!
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ahh also just noticed the spelling haha! 'Crackin' 'becomin'
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 08:04 PM)Jimmy306uk Wrote: Ahh also just noticed the spelling haha! 'Crackin' 'becomin'

Yes that was what was most amusing.
Thanks given by:
(28-08-2014, 08:07 PM)Tom85 Wrote:
(28-08-2014, 08:04 PM)Jimmy306uk Wrote: Ahh also just noticed the spelling haha! 'Crackin' 'becomin'

Yes that was what was most amusing.

unless there is a letter limit and they just reached it???

Although they can't spell becoming right either.
Thanks given by:
I thought advisories were chosen from a pre-selected list as the wording seems standardised on all other MOTs I've seen. E.g. I've seen shocks referred to as having a light misting of oil before - rather than being referred to as damp.
Thanks given by:
There is (or was) a standard list of advisories to click and select but they can enter them manually too.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I used them a few months back in Walsall and they passed my car with minimal advisories.

Peope always say bad things about In&Out garage near to me but they've always passed my cars and not been picky about anything.
Thanks given by:
MOT is today at 11! Nervous now haha lol
Thanks given by:
Failed Sad need a brake hose and some rear pads
Thanks given by:
Check failure 4 - that might well be the retaining bar having fallen out and if that's the case, the car isn't safe to drive as the rear pads can (and do) fall out and result in the brake pedal going to the floor....

Sounds like you've got a busy few days ahead of you to fix that little list anyway, particularly depending on where it's failed on corrosion and thus how involved the job is to cut out the rust and weld in new metal.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I've had some pretty pedantic Testers, my old manstain hdi's tester believed he needed to list everything under the sun.

Front bumper damaged? Pretty obvious and not really needing to be listed as an advisory (had a small crack at the bottom) and insecure? Well it didn't move from giving it a hard wiggle (giggity), rear plate had a slight mark between the 4th and 5th character, not exactly a big deal to advise on, and the brake fluid was in the middle of the resevoir Huh

The brake line had a slight crease in the outter rubber (they all did)

Oh well, funny thing is the next day (a friday) it was passed with no advisories, all it needed was front brake lines swapping, different dipped beam bulbs, and apparently there was a major leak of exhaust gas? Turned out to be a pin hole in the weld between cat and downpipe, also my pikey amp power line caught in door shut. But funny how i got a clear mot with no advisories huh? Oh and turned out after the test droplinks were shot, so good going mot tester >.>
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
What's the come back if you go get an MOT get the all clear. Then go to Halfords (for whatever perverse reason) and they find something or vice versa.

Always wondered that. Back in the day i knew lots of places that would give you an MOT "As long as you're not selling it!" . Whereas now they seem a lot stricter.
Thanks given by:
Ah, I shoulda read this thread before the wanted one. Tongue

Looks like quite a list of failures there! I never realised the main beam 'tell tale' (assume that's the dash light!) was an MOT fail though, leant something new lol.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 03:46 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Looks like quite a list of failures there! I never realised the main beam 'tell tale' (assume that's the dash light!) was an MOT fail though, leant something new lol.

Yep, light on the instrument cluster or similar (e.g. on the switch itself) to alert the driver.

You need tell tale for the high beams, indicators/hazards and rear fog, possibly others too

Nathan1305 - what was the advisory list as there looks to be quite a few of them too?
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2014, 03:55 PM)powerandtorque Wrote:
(01-09-2014, 03:46 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Looks like quite a list of failures there! I never realised the main beam 'tell tale' (assume that's the dash light!) was an MOT fail though, leant something new lol.

Yep, light on the instrument cluster or similar (e.g. on the switch itself) to alert the driver.

You need tell tale for the high beams, indicators/hazards and rear fog, possibly others too

I've had a few cars where the dash lights don't all work, usually seems to be the dipped beam though (current 306 included!), better check those work in future lol.
Thanks given by:
how bad is 008 vehicle corrosion? that could be either a large ammount of welding or a small patch repair.
Thanks given by:
Got a brand new brake valve here if you want it Wink
Thanks given by:
Which bit on the brake valve is meant to move? As looking underneath its just because the beam is lowered that they are saying its sticking, obviously its not going to return fully.

Rust holes are sorted came to mine and my mate cut the rust out and put some new plate in, so he just needs to pop to ecp and sort the brakes.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The metal arm with the spring attached one end and pivot at the other should move...its probably rusted solid in one position.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 09:17 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The metal arm with the spring attached one end and pivot at the other should move...its probably rusted solid in one position.

we sprayed it with WD40 so hopefully it loosens it a bit if not I have no idea how too free it up
Thanks given by:
Just have to get a pair of grips or something on it and work it up and down, it will free up eventually. Some of the advisories are silly things like check straps ect. But iirc it was also discs pitted and scored, can't remember the full list
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: du2adeze.jpg]

Found this pic quite useful on the 6 forum for the brake valve
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 12:45 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: [Image: du2adeze.jpg]

Found this pic quite useful on the 6 forum for the brake valve

Thanks mate Smile that's helped a lot
Thanks given by:
No worries man Smile fairly simple once you see it
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 01:49 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: No worries man Smile fairly simple once you see it

Yeah I'll have to get the mull grips out Smile
Thanks given by:
what areas was rotted through on yours as i might check mine too, it may be another common area to keep a eye on like the rear inner wheel arch area that rots away unoticed some times.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Halfords Pgtips 3 1,629 08-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Toms306