My XSi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My XSi
So it started out life as an XSi, owned by various people including Miles and his Dad as it turns out. X-sport racing put a cage in it (I think based on a custom cages F2 one, but it is a bit different), it was made into a track car and used. I then bought it as a shell with the side windows, doors and front wings but otherwise completely bare from Blandy on the 6 forum last October.
[Image: 3.jpg]

At the time I had a shed track car, a T reg P3 blaze 6 that I had managed to buy a few bits for and sold others to have a car that basically has cost me £520 on the road.
[Image: 4.jpg]

The shell was toast though (rust in the chassis rails and bulkhead). So November saw us (Meirion, Anton and me) kill that and re-shell it into the XSi. Quite a large number of hours later I managed to get it MOT'd in about April and it has been my daily driver ever since. Although I tried to concentrate on weight loss it is still running the standard heater box and motor, most of the dash, standard battery and still has a 6 speed box. It weighed in at 995kg wet with a quarter tank of fuel (without me) on the corner weighting scales in work so isn't so bad. More to come out yet, including the awful roof!
[Image: 2.jpg]

Its not the most modified of 306s. Has standard GTi6 running gear, Peugeot Sport Magnex with decat, KW v2 front with softer springs and adj top mounts, 21m rear bars + hybrid arb + koni yellows, C5 alloys (mostly round) with AD08Rs for track and road, standard brakes (DS2500), no abs with bias valve and hydro, terrible FG bonnet, lexan windows and obviously a very stripped interior. Its pretty rough around the edges but it goes ok and the engine has a nice little valve tap going on. I have two spare engines and a 5 speed box that will go in one day. It is primarily a fast B road car and then the odd track bit now and then. Current spend has been £1520 not inc tax, MOT, insurance, but including everything else (and the blaze car it came from).
[Image: 1.jpg]

On going will just see me tidying it up when I have the time and moving weight about a bit to get it more rear biased (currently 65:35). And I need to find 2x more C5 wheels, welded front subframe, make the cabin cooler, stop the rain coming in, learn how to drive etc etc

[Image: blyton_4.jpg]

[Image: blyton_2.jpg]

[Image: blyton_1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
all the best 306's started out as xsi's Smile especially in sigma blue too

sounds a good enough spec anyway so far. kw v2's were the one thing i wanted to do to mine before i got rid
306 hdi 3dr moonstone
205 gti6 bare shell rebuild
m3 evolution coupe weekend hero
bmw x3 xdrive35d f25 313bhp nutter
Thanks given by:
i love the fact it has now got to the stage where to find a decent shell you have to start looking at other 306s haha
Thanks given by:
Oh hey Rikky darling, I always wanted to buy your car, was a hell of a lot more sorted than this...
I think the KWs are ok, but not that great. Oversprung for road use in the UK even with standard weight. My old ASTs seemed to be better in terms of outright damping control.

(26-08-2014, 09:11 AM)SRowell Wrote: i love the fact it has now got to the stage where to find a decent shell you have to start looking at other 306s haha

I don't care what the shell was originally from! As long as it is straight has a good cage in it. Ideally I was after phase 1 as I prefer the look. I would have really wanted another Rallye but then the shell is heavier than the phase 1, should have ABS and airbags as standard etc (MOT issues in the future potentially).

I was also looking for potentially re-shelling into a decent 205, but try finding one of those with a rust free shell and huge cage for £650...
Thanks given by:
I'm slowly amassing parts to run this as a road or stage rally car. Going to be a long project I think.

Currently tidying stuff inside, needs a new flocked dash, reducing the loom some more, sealing bulkhead holes, installing a pc680 battery behind the passenger seat with wired cut offs, handheld and plumbed in extinguishers, seal floor holes, quaife into a 5 speed box, arch liners, air horns, reduce the front ride height + toe in and finally the oil cooler. A bit to do then.

Probably it for this year, except maybe brake pads later on. Hoping to see a few sprints, Spa and a couple of combe sessions. It's a fairly decent daily driver, even the ad08r are good for 95% of the weather

Oh and I've some pro race 3 15" in gloss black that I'm not sure about. A bit too track and heavier than my current c5 steels. Might get some pro rally instead as we get trade on them Wink

Oh and its being wrapped soon. Bit too shed-like at the moment. Just not sure on the colour...
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
class! it took me two weeks to do a full blown re body. That was everything swopped over practically too!
Thanks given by:
It took me months! But I rarely have much time on it
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2015, 07:34 PM)adam b Wrote: It took me months! But I rarely have much time on it

sadly I am back to square one, as my replacement shell didn't turn out as good as I thought! I think its even worse than my old shell!
Thanks given by:
I remember seeing this at forge action day in one of my sessions and pulling over in the second esses??
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
inertia switch!
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Yep, the nut fell off the back of the battery box and so did the inertia switch. Waste of a session, thankfully I was then given a couple through work. Doubtless will be at combe a few times this year.

Further modifications tomorrow!

Hi Sam, did your car have orange wheels at the time? I was expecting you to come past me as I thought it was charged..? Was hoping to see if I could keep up!

(01-01-2015, 07:40 PM)procta Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 07:34 PM)adam b Wrote: It took me months! But I rarely have much time on it

sadly I am back to square one, as my replacement shell didn't turn out as good as I thought! I think its even worse than my old shell!

No way! Good luck with it then. Mine was so stripped it would have been hard to miss any rust tbh
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Yeah that was me,and no was the rallye that was charged this got a better suspension setup with roller bearings and properly sorted beam.Shame the tryes where absolute horse shit but got ns2r this year to try.
Thanks given by:
Mild update, swapped to a new dashboard, removed the interior loom to further lighten and think I've screwed it up. Ah well replacement is coming. Slowly fitting the plumbed in extinguisher and battery stuff. Diff, 5 speed box, clutch, interior paint done and I've bought the wrap for the outside. Time is the problem as ever.

Randomly bought some new wheels too, 15x6 MO5s which although a couple of kg heavier are stronger than the C5 wheels. Selling the pro race 2s for funds I think.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Very cool, hope i can get mine to that stage one day.
Thanks given by:
5 speed box?why?

M05 sound epic with lots of brake clearance aswell Smile
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 11:20 PM)7057sam Wrote: 5 speed box?why?

M05 sound epic with lots of brake clearance aswell Smile

It's a few kg lighter and was going to be built up with shorter ratios. Well still on the cards as current 5spd isn't too great into 3rd. 

Having fun trying to find morette replacement lamps tonight. Not completely sure I like them yet anyway!
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Long day on it today with welshpug. Bloody cold too.
Wiring fault was the firewall connector, still not 100%. Cut offs and extinguishers in properly with a lot of tidying done. PC680 battery behind the passenger seat with the cut off in the engine bay for now. Wiring is a lot better but needs a final fix and the fuse box needs placing. Morettes in but I've used slightly different lamps to normal. Hope to get the fogs working too soon when I lighten the front bumper.

WP dropped off the new box he has built for me (thanks very much!), 4.4 final drive with 1.9 3/4/5 so should top out at 128mph. Need time to fit it now!

When will it end?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yof8jwgjoo6c1m...1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1vin16ziqwkf8...9.jpg?dl=0

Will do the images properly from a computer tomorrow...
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Considerable amount of time and effort gone into the shed.
Competed in the open class at the mlr pembrey sprint. Good fun but not competitive for the class win (atom...)

New gearbox and diff are immense...

[Image: pem2.jpg]

[Image: pem3.jpg]

After the action day I've been fitting new brakes - 310mm Renault ones Big Grin
10mm spacer, some light grinding and hey presto...

[Image: 310.jpg]

Under the 15s hehe
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
What 15's ?? never knew they would fit.
Thanks given by:
MO5s. They just squeak under but wasn't straightforward - can't use rubber cover on the outer bleed nipple Wink

Oil cooler needed next after the hub is sorted. Was running a touch warm at the action day, although I wasn't in clear air for much time. Kind of missing it now - been ages since I've used it
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
What size cooler have you got,my 16 row keeps it under 100.

Did it cost much to do the sprint? Do you need a race liscence?
Thanks given by:
No idea on the size, it's not all that big. No licence needed Smile
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Car looks awesome. Morettes really suit it.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Looks like a beast.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 306_8.jpg]

It's slowly getting there... Not ideal doing it outside and no idea if the paint will be completely destroyed by the wrap.
Not being all that fussy though, it is a track car! More joins keep costs down Wink

Combe sprint on the 13th and a track day on the 19th. So much to do yet! Oil cooler sorted though but still fighting with brake wobble, hope to conclude that epic tomorrow
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Looks great,be interesting to see if it can stand up to the test of time.

Did you get the brembo's fitted yet?
Thanks given by:
The wrap should do 8 years, the paint underneath I suspect considerably less!!!

Yes the 310s fit but still had big brake wobble. Currently fixing that, or using originals if I run out of time.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Left my 206 and a friends 172 for dead at Combe. Nice motor!

Making an appearance at FCS adam?
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Looking good nice to see how far it's come since it sat with me as a bare shell, looks totally different in white
Thanks given by:
I really like sigma as a colour, just not four different shades!
White is easy, looks good for a competition car and I do like a phase 1 in white

Not at fcs, no. Have too many days booked already this month at combe
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by: