rear torsion bar removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rear torsion bar removal
Been attempting to lower the rear of this black zx

Ok so got one end off of each of the torsion bars, the good end where you might insert a slide hammer and joyfully tickle the tosrion bars out whilst sipping a delightful cup of tea.

The other end that has the threaded stud screwed into it and is covered by some sort of metal collar - can this collar be removed so I can use a drift to smash the bar out?

Otherwise what are my options for getting them out the other end?

Its been the worst job. This is attempt number 3, and ended up dropping the beam so it could be beaten it with a sledge, and it beat the sledge :/

[Image: sledge_broke.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You can't remove the threaded stud you mentioned until the bar is out I'm afraid mate. Might be worth getting some heat onto the seized end and trying again with the slide hammer.
Thanks given by:
There is no way they will be coming out with a slide hammer, not a chance.

Both arms are off the beam, with torsion bars still stuck in that one end, if i could get that collar off i could undo the threaded stud and drift my way to success.
Thanks given by:
The threaded stud has a wide section in the centre, you can't remove it without pulling the bars so scrap that idea! lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:The threaded stud has a wide section in the centre, you can't remove it without pulling the bars so scrap that idea! lol

ffs, I'll give it one more stern look and if it doesn't come out, its going back together as is
Thanks given by:
Those collars do screw in, so probably they do screw out, but mine wouldn't budge.

Other option would be to smash them through and replace the collars and studs.

I put it all back together and tbh you can get pretty fine adjustment just on those splines, pikey or not the shafts had come out anyway.

Hopefully the bearings won't fail now, heard so many horror stories.
Thanks given by:
zx_volcane Wrote:Those collars do screw in, so probably they do screw out, but mine wouldn't budge.

I put it all back together and tbh you can get pretty fine adjustment just on those splines, pikey or not the shafts had come out anyway.

I know they screw in..........the point of them is to take up the slack at the end of the bar, they are a threaded stud with like a thick washer in the middle, you aren't screwing them out unless you can get a 15mm fixed washer though an 8mm hole lol

If you have only got one side of the bars out IIRC the adjustment is 20-30mm a spline, if you get both ends out then the adjustment is, pretty much, infinite Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
zx_volcane Wrote:Those collars do screw in, so probably they do screw out, but mine wouldn't budge.

I know they screw in..........the point of them is to take up the slack at the end of the bar, they are a threaded stud with like a thick washer in the middle, you aren't screwing them out unless you can get a 15mm fixed washer though an 8mm hole lol

If you have only got one side of the bars out IIRC the adjustment is 20-30mm a spline, if you get both ends out then the adjustment is, pretty much, infinite Wink

Not the stud, but the collar that the 8mm hole is in screws out of the arm, or would do if it wasn't seized in.

I'm checking with pug now to see how readily available the collars and studs are before i take it apart again and smashing the torsion bar through via the stud and have to replace them.

20-30mm on the splines? I must have been lucky, as had no problems getting the bars back in. I adjusted it twice and didn't have to fiddle about up and down.
Thanks given by:
zx_volcane Wrote:Not the stud, but the collar that the 8mm hole is in screws out of the arm, or would do if it wasn't seized in.

I'm checking with pug now to see how readily available the collars and studs are before i take it apart again and smashing the torsion bar through via the stud and have to replace them.

20-30mm on the splines? I must have been lucky, as had no problems getting the bars back in. I adjusted it twice and didn't have to fiddle about up and down.

the torsion bar screws like this you mean.............
[Image: !B,vjpegBGk~%24(KGrHqUH-DUEqvhBWU6JBKs3EeP)9!~~_35.JPG]

Are you sure the bit with the hole in unscrews? I'm pretty sure its part of the arm but I might be wrong Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
[quote="mark_airey"
Are you sure the bit with the hole in unscrews? I'm pretty sure its part of the arm but I might be wrong :)[/quote]

yup, just been top pug and ordered the studs and collars
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1999 306 sedan rear torsion bar adjustment weka 14 5,575 21-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Last Post: weka
  torsion bar removal tool bashbarnard 9 3,195 25-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Rear suspension, torsion bar to mcpherson Insanity-74 21 3,669 01-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Last Post: welshpug