Speed cameras UK.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed cameras UK.
Comes back to this problem of making something law - once it's law it stops being common sense. Of course you don't drive through built up areas at more than 30, because you never know when some little rug rat is going to leg it out into the road. You let off the power when you see a sign for a junction on approach to a corner, as there could be a slow-moving car that's just pulled out on the other side of the corner. When there's a tight bend you slow down for it so the car doesn't fire off into the surrounding undergrowth. A sign that warns you should only be doing 30 through a particular corner a) is completely over-cautious for 90% of driving b) encourages the kind of tit that's likely to be going too fast anyway, and c) more dangerously, it stops everyone else thinking about it for themselves. What happens when it's unusually slippy conditions? People are ignoring the sign because of a), going too fast because of c) and probably worrying more about the b) behind them than the fact that they're about to understeer off the road thanks to the conditions.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
i still think they should do away with camers and just put more sodding coppers on the road..

most people speed on public roads, and all of hte locals know exactly where the cameras are placed, and simply slow down for the camera, then speed up again..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2014, 07:25 PM)toseland Wrote: i still think they should do away with camers and just put more sodding coppers on the road..

yep totally, there isn't enough traffic cops on the road to deal with all the lady gardens who are wholly incompetent with a car but aren't speeding.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2014, 08:48 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(09-08-2014, 07:25 PM)toseland Wrote: i still think they should do away with camers and just put more sodding coppers on the road..

yep totally, there isn't enough traffic cops on the road to deal with all the lady gardens who are wholly incompetent with a car but aren't speeding.

Completely agreed. Was driving back from the New Forest this evening and the amount of bell ends on the road was unreal! People who just can't make sense of basic road rules and courtesy.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2014, 08:48 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

fact of the matter is, you can drive through one of those with 3 balt tyres, backwards, high on crack and drunk, not wearing a seatbelt in a car with no tax MOT or insurance and itll do f*ck all unless you are speeding....

they should rename them "revenue generating photo stations"
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 12:39 AM)toseland Wrote: fact of the matter is, you can drive through one of those with 3 balt tyres, backwards, high on crack and drunk, not wearing a seatbelt in a car with no tax MOT or insurance and itll do f*ck all unless you are speeding....

I do daily on the commute tbh.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
You also don't get a ticket from a speed camera if you drift past it sideways in a cloud of smoke but doing less than the speed limit.

Not that I'd know ofc.
Thanks given by:
Saw a plain x5 with a policeman stood at the back of it holding a speed gun
Thanks given by:
What gets me is that while people get away with speeding, changing lanes dangerously, not indicating and tailgating, I've been stopped a fair few times for such great reasons as:

Your car is old
Your car has painted alloys
Its late
Your car is registered 60 miles away
You were looking for an opportunity to overtake

Great work boys, keep it up.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 01:23 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: What gets me is that while people get away with speeding, changing lanes dangerously, not indicating and tailgating, I've been stopped a fair few times for such great reasons as:

Your car is old
Its late

Issue is a lot of police cars aren't equipped with the kit to check speed. I know its obvious that if they are following you at 90 and not gaining/leaving you, you are doing 90 but they can't prosecute without the proof when it comes to speed. With things like driving like a cock, the old bill can prosecute with a witness statement.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 02:02 PM)Niall Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 01:23 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: What gets me is that while people get away with speeding, changing lanes dangerously, not indicating and tailgating, I've been stopped a fair few times for such great reasons as:

Your car is old
Its late

Issue is a lot of police cars aren't equipped with the kit to check speed. I know its obvious that if they are following you at 90 and not gaining/leaving you, you are doing 90 but they can't prosecute without the proof when it comes to speed. With things like driving like a cock, the old bill can prosecute with a witness statement.
Just annoys me that I've been driving 10 years nearly with a clean license, I'm insured, the car is MOTed and taxed and in excellent roadworthy condition and I'm not making any mistakes, and I get stopped for "random checks".

Last time I was stopped I asked why, and I was told that I was "acting suspiciously". I asked what that meant and he said he started following me because I was in an old car, and then he stopped me because I was driving at bang on the speed limit and glancing in my mirror, so he decided I was hiding something, so he stopped me, breathalysed me and spent 20 minutes poking around the car. At that point (and I try really hard not to do this) I got a bit arsey, asking what he was looking for because I had somewhere to be, and he basically told me that he could keep me longer and make my night worse, or put me in a cell and ruin the next 24 hours. I asked what he'd put me in a cell for, and I was told he'd think of something.

I genuinely believe most coppers are sound, I've had some really good experiences with them, but some are utter bastards, insecure little men who have to wear a uniform and have the authority to push innocent people around to make them feel like men. Pathetic.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the bloke was a complete prick then. Most coppers are alright though normally!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Got slightly wound up yesterday - marked XC70 driving RIGHT up my arse and trying to push me along, you could hear him revving his engine when I was doing around the speed limit, I was just driving as I do normally, then overtook me in a 30...

Sigh.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 04:32 PM)Ruan Wrote: Got slightly wound up yesterday - marked XC70 driving RIGHT up my arse and trying to push me along, you could hear him revving his engine when I was doing around the speed limit, I was just driving as I do normally, then overtook me in a 30...

Sigh.
I've had that before, or sat on my arse in the right lane pointing to the left lane on a DC. I'm overtaking at the limit for fucks sake, if you want me to move because you want to speed, thats what the lights and sirens are for!
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 04:53 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 04:32 PM)Ruan Wrote: Got slightly wound up yesterday - marked XC70 driving RIGHT up my arse and trying to push me along, you could hear him revving his engine when I was doing around the speed limit, I was just driving as I do normally, then overtook me in a 30...

Sigh.
I've had that before, or sat on my arse in the right lane pointing to the left lane on a DC. I'm overtaking at the limit for fucks sake, if you want me to move because you want to speed, thats what the lights and sirens are for!

You know, unless they are trying to catch up with a car a quarter mile ahead with say a drug importer or wanted person in and don't want to give it away to them.

Gotta say I've had my fair share of being pulled over for silly reasons and "driving too sensibly so you must be upto something" is somewhat a common one but the simple fact of the matter is they can pull over any vehicle on the road because they fancy it. To check the drivers documents and I know your gonna say it can all be done on the computer but I cant, theres nothing to say that the car isn't registered and insured to a name and address with no interest but actually have an unlicensed, uninsured, disqualified and wanted burglar at the wheel.
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 06:00 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: You know, unless they are trying to catch up with a car a quarter mile ahead with say a drug importer or wanted person in and don't want to give it away to them.

Are they really going to use a dayglow marked car for that? I'm not being funny but I was overtaking a row of wagons, my options were speed with a cop car behind me or slam on and try slip into a tiny gap between 2 wagons doing 56mph which at their following distance would have resulted in having a 5-series in my boot. I couldn't even see their headlights.
Thanks given by:
usdually they will have an unmarked following and want the marked unit to pull them over..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2014, 06:00 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 04:53 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:

Sigh.

You know, unless they are trying to catch up with a car a quarter mile ahead with say a drug importer or wanted person in and don't want to give it away to them.

That's fine, but intimidating other people on the road isn't on in my opinion... If you want to catch the drug importer please go ahead, there was 10000 other chances to overtake, I even kept well to the left so they could overtake!!! Please don't just sit on my arse...

I have no issue with the police doing their job, I've only ever found the police to be absolutely fine, but it's stuff like that that makes the British have this horrific attitude towards the police... Everyone bleets about how the police get abuse all day every day, which is wrong, but anyone acting like a penis - marked car or not is not on... I'd have been pissed off no matter if it was a marked car or not!! You just don't expect it from the people enforcing it I guess...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Your car is old
Its late

My mates is one of those as well, do you guys just look shifty or something??
He was once pulled over for 'honking at a policeman'?!?!
He got into more trouble tho when he showed them the horn didn't work.

My car is a right old shed, gets a wash every couple of months and can often be seen driving around late at night.

I'm yet to be pulled over for a check, I must miss all the dodgy coppers or something.
Thanks given by:
I seem to be a police magnet they enjoy sitting on my rear bumper before realising I'm completely obeying the law. Been caught speeding recently though. I'll be completely open and those who live near Hereford will understand when I say i find it completely unfair. A 60-30 speed limit coming from Ross to Hereford change on the crest of a hill got caught by laser as I was coming over the hill with my brakes on the copper even said I'm aware you were slowing down to 30 but I've still got you doing 43 (yes I know it's still speeding sue me!) he didn't have much to say when I said "I was under the impression that you have to have reasonable suspicion that I'm speeding before checking speed and not check every car that pops over the hill" to which he said either way you were speeding. Seeing the footage in his car also shows my speed drop to just below 30 not a second or so after my car was first lasered (also the recording started just as you could see my headlights appear on the crest I thought the recording only started when the lasers trigger was pulled?). It's well known the local constabulary are crooked (west Mercia) and seem to be a glorified revenue creator after speaking to 5 retired and ex coppers of that constabulary. But I'm rambling and accepted yes I was speeding in a 30 zone but there was no rationality or reasonable judgement of the situation etc. With grass verges both sides completely clear at 12:30am on a Wednesday morning with no other cars. The golf driver who was pulled over before me had a few choice words about the Gestapo who pulled us over but ah well. Live and learn. Seen drivers in their 5 series beamers must be doing a tonne followed and had stern words which shake them. But instead in west Mercia... Well I've made my point.

I reckon I was guilty in their eyes before id even passed Into the 30 zone but you could say that's me being in self pitty.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
(08-08-2014, 11:50 AM)Ruan Wrote: The Autobahns are also 2 lanes and trust me, you do not get anyone sat in the outside lane for any longer than they have to - even the old grannies can just do it...

and in Germany when you flash your lights it means people pull over. - because you're bearing down on them at double their speed.
Here it just means "I'm a cock in an Audi"

I had the good cop bad cop when I was pulled for no tax, MOT or insurance. having got all three that morning.
Good cop was happy I was legal.
Bad cop just wanted to find something and play the hard man as he must have been hoping for a good collar.

All other times I've been pulled over it's been fine. Done nothing wrong, no harm to come.
Managed to talk my way out of a ticket one time (oddities of the dual carriageway paralleling another but with 10mph less speed limit).

Only been done for speeding abroad so far.
In France I might as well have been raped. Lasered from a jolly good way away, lucky to keep licence, epic fine.
Ukraine, don't think I was speeding, just looking for vodka money. The selfie cost me a tenner Smile

(09-08-2014, 08:17 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Want to have fun, get out on the back roads over the moors. Literally thousands of miles of them here, 60mph limit and in most places hitting 60mph at all is difficult they're that twisty.

Cat and Fiddle.
Bikers keep getting killed so they put up a 50mph limit.
Then they put up average distance cameras. Front facing.
Oh, wait, bikes don't have frontal plates. Itwasntme
So bikers still ride like utter dicks, cars stuck at 50. No chance of an accident there then...
Double white lines must mean something different for the average sports biker.
Thanks given by:
I totally agree with Rob, West mercia are legendary lady gardens with a deep hatred of anything that's not 100% standard and even that isn't good enough for them sometimes
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 12:20 PM)nominous Wrote:
(09-08-2014, 08:17 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Want to have fun, get out on the back roads over the moors. Literally thousands of miles of them here, 60mph limit and in most places hitting 60mph at all is difficult they're that twisty.

Cat and Fiddle.
So bikers still ride like utter dicks, cars stuck at 50. No chance of an accident there then...

I meant the Yorkshire moors really mate. A169 from Pickering to Whitby, NSL, recently resurfaced, no cameras, never seen a copper, great visibility, great views. Or over in the dales, the Buttertubs Pass from Thwaite to Keld, NSL, smooth as, no cameras, winding along a shelf through a valley Smile
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 12:27 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: I totally agree with Rob, West mercia are legendary lady gardens with a deep hatred of anything that's not 100% standard and even that isn't good enough for them sometimes

Oh you mean like shafting me with a £600 fine for the exhaust system on my impreza?

I have a specially reserved hatred of one particular police traffic officer in hereford, even had too complain about him harrasing me as i was literally getting pulled over every time he saw me! They are especially revenue and brownie points bent in west mercia.

Hairy lady gardens.

/RantOver
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 12:20 PM)nominous Wrote: Cat and Fiddle.

Exactly the same reason we're now stuck at 40 on what used to be NSL....bikes cant turn a particular chicane on the road and wipe out some poor guys garden wall every so often. Don't see why cars should be punished for that...I can even turn corners in the wet in a car! Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 02:03 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: A169 from Pickering to Whitby, NSL, recently resurfaced, no cameras, never seen a copper, great visibility, great views. Or over in the dales, the Buttertubs Pass from Thwaite to Keld, NSL, smooth as, no cameras, winding along a shelf through a valley Smile

Sadly no longer live in the area. Sad Tho TBH I also found going over to Whitby rather busy from Boro at least.
I'm in Warrington now, which means it's 40 mins at least till I get to good roads.
There is plenty of stuff down Northwich way, but it's not hilly or tight enough and generally quite busy. Plus not long enough before built up areas.
Thanks given by:
Has anyone come across this article lately?

http://governmentauctionsuk.com/auction-...e=motoring
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
How old is that article tho??

Is says 'Latest figures show that in 2001'

Thats 13 years ago!!
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2014, 12:08 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: How old is that article tho??

Is says 'Latest figures show that in 2001'

Thats 13 years ago!!

That's the only thing that i question. However there have been a number of reported articles which contain people not being prosecuted because of the loophole.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
that loophole was patched a LOOONG time ago..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EOS digital cameras question for photo guru's 400D Dave 8 1,977 27-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  In car cctv cameras Chris_90 26 9,233 25-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Lolben91
  bridge cameras kentiiboii 21 5,794 08-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Last Post: kentiiboii