Williams' Track '6 Bit of weight saving ;) + shortened wheel base

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williams' Track '6 Bit of weight saving ;) + shortened wheel base
Hi everyone, starting our project thread so people can get to know the car and us.

Me and my dad bought this for a purpose built track car for a bit of fun.
Paid £550, 130k no service history, gloss black clones, lowered 40mm.

It was only down the road from us, engine was pulling well so we bought it. It's funny because it actually had less dents and dings before we started:
[attachment=17591]

For some reason I didn't start taking pictures until we had stripped it all out, but anyway here we go:

First picture I have is of the cage we bought from someone on gti oc, think it was a safety devices one, with an extra harness bar welded in, powder coated in red:
[attachment=17594]

Next, I accidentally smashed my back window on my daily by transporting engines Doh, but we took the one off the gti sprayed it, then fitted a fiberglass one to the gti:  
[attachment=17596]
[attachment=17597]

After stripping it out and putting the fiberglass boot on, we were surprised how light it was, we was moving it around and seen this:
[attachment=17600]

Next we tackled the brakes, a 310mm 4 pot brembo set popped up and we fitted them, along with direct fitment pro race 1.2's:
[attachment=17601][attachment=17602]

I then sorted the sound deadening behind the dash VERY FUN!Undecided
[attachment=17603]

Will finish the rest off shortly...
Thanks given by:
We then fitted the front poly-carbonate windows along with a fiberglass bonnet:
[attachment=17615][attachment=17617][attachment=17618]

Next we decided the radiator had seen better days and fitted a new one, along with cleaning up the engine bay a little, spraying slam panel, little bits and just general cleaning:
[attachment=17613][attachment=17619][attachment=17620][attachment=17621]

Next was to sort out suspension, we fitted gaz gha's:
[attachment=17622]

Then welded strengthening plates and flatted back the the floor to bare metal and cleaned all the sound deadening glue up with thinners, this took ages. Started spraying bits to prevent rust and prepped for paint:
[attachment=17623][attachment=17624][attachment=17625][attachment=17627]

We also skinned the doors:[attachment=17626]

Started spraying inside with primer:[attachment=17628]

As I was kneeling down I seen this massive thing and nearly sh*t a brick:
[attachment=17629]
Thanks given by:
Next was a bunch of goodies to be fitted:[attachment=17630][attachment=17631][attachment=17632]

Fitted air ducts for braking(Still haven't finished them):
[attachment=17633]

Mess we made:
[attachment=17634]

Sprayed the boot and the colour match was terrible, so took a picture showed the paint shop, they gave us another can free and to be fair it was spot on. This is the colour mismatch:
[attachment=17635]

Cut out a light for cold air feed with dremmel, and fitted beading also making brackets to hold it I was quite proud of this Big Grin:
[attachment=17636]

Coming closer to finishing now Smile:
[attachment=17637][attachment=17638]

Will update the rest tomorrow Tongue
Thanks given by:
Very nice! Have you removed all the innards of the other headlight?

Following with interest!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 10:06 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Very nice! Have you removed all the innards of the other headlight?

Following with interest!

Yeah mate pain in the bum to get all the glue off though Doh

Thanks mate, will be a lot more coming soon hopefully Smile
Thanks given by:
Very nicely done
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Here is the drivers side light Smile:
[attachment=17647]

Back windows in, bonnet sprayed, catches on, stickers on Big Grin:
[attachment=17648]

Tyre's on Wink:
[attachment=17649]

The day we finished (weekend before fcs):
[attachment=17650][attachment=17651][attachment=17652][attachment=17653]

Before and after engine bay:
[attachment=17654][attachment=17655]

Weekend of fcs
[attachment=17657][attachment=17658][attachment=17659][attachment=17660][attachment=17661][attachment=17662][attachment=17663][attachment=17664]
The car goes very well and performed with out a hiccup Smile

Then this happened:
[attachment=17665]
Dad thought it would be funny to lock up an hit the tyre wall

(15-07-2014, 03:08 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Very nicely done

Thanks ozone, will try to keep this up to date in the future, its a pain in the bum to upload so many photos Blush
Thanks given by:
Awesome progress mate. Saw this at FCS but didnt realise it was on here! Does the fibreglass bonnet flap around at speed? Getting that glue off the floor is a pain but it looks great. good job!
Thanks given by:
that's good stuff! are you doing a custom dash? as I think you could lose more in weight and have just the basics if needed, the metro lads used to gut one of the head lights like that, and fit the cold feed to it, that was going back in the day. Also are you not getting any fibre glass wings and bonnet?
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 04:31 PM)SRowell Wrote: Awesome progress mate. Saw this at FCS but didnt realise it was on here! Does the fibreglass bonnet flap around at speed? Getting that glue off the floor is a pain but it looks great. good job!

Thanks Rowell, and yes it does flap, alot! Tongue screwed it down 2nd session though. On the look out for a carbon fiber one Smile

(15-07-2014, 05:23 PM)procta Wrote: that's good stuff! are you doing a custom dash? as I think you could lose more in weight and have just the basics if needed, the metro lads used to gut one of the head lights like that, and fit the cold feed to it, that was going back in the day. Also are you not getting any fibre glass wings and bonnet?

Eventually we will get around to the dash, but we got loads of stuff to sort first Tongue. I like the light Tongue We have got a fiberglass bonnet, but not wings and I don't imagine people make fiberglass wings for the 306 do they? I wouldn't like to do them my self tbh...
Thanks given by:
So... a little update

Fitted some solid mounts Smile
[attachment=18647][attachment=18648][attachment=18649]

Then got a double lower strut brace and powdercoated sub frame with roller bearing p bushes, fitted it Big Grin

[attachment=18650][attachment=18651][attachment=18652]

When taking the old subframe off one of the mounting captive nuts decided to break Dodgy -.-....

[attachment=18653]

Been to Peugeot got a replacement and will be fitted shortly Smile
Thanks given by:
Time for a little update, not as much done as I would like but due to moving etc.. got a little done.

After FCS fitted some baker bm mounts, thanks to Grant for the group buy Smile:[attachment=21575][attachment=21576][attachment=21577][attachment=21578]

Then settled the car in it's new home (bit of a mess):[attachment=21579][attachment=21580]

After painting and making it look like a little more of a garage than a dump, good out come Smile:[attachment=21582]

Now down to the work, there was a leak coming from the nearside rear damper, so I have been in contact with Gaz and will be sending them off soon to be overhauled. Took them off ready and will be sending them later today:
[attachment=21581]
Thanks given by:
Wondering if anyone could offer any advise/help with the baker bm top mounts

Bought these last year in a group buy, had to buy adapters to run coilovers. Now that I have fitted them they just don't look right to me it looks as if the spacer that baker bm provide is going to be rubbing the adapter I bought.
Thanks given by:
looking good Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Well, bit of an update, took it to castle combe Monday. Car performed great with just a minor fault, fixed a few issues we had last time (gearstick etc..)

Car is completely different now since the updates, drives awesome.

Also had it corner weighted and weighed anyone like to guess the weight?

Bonnet is now Kevlar thanks to ash over on gti6 forum. Top mounts seem to be holding up ok. Underneath has now been painted black.

Power steering did eventually boil over towards the end of the day, so my arms were dead by the end of the day... going to look for a standard power steering setup shortly (as we got rid of our cooling lines).

and for my benefit also,

Soon to be done on the car:

Cambelt,
oil change,
spark plugs,
oil cooler,
F2000 spoiler (hopefully),
Flush water system.

Future:
Rear beam built all the tricks etc.. 3 deg camber
Roof sprayed (lacquer peal)
Re-do Heat wrap
Give it a polish for the first time since we've owned it Blush

If I get chance later, I'll put the videos up of my awful driving  Undecided, I also got some pictures off the photographers there so will upload them.
Thanks given by:
Few pictures from the day
Thanks given by:
Car looks great on track

Do yoi run a upper strut brace with you bm top mounts ? Wondering how easy it is to adjust when the brace is on.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Thanks sam,

As of now we don't run a upper one but eventually planning on making one our self...
Thanks given by:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyVL-tHekTs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vPfKPfsc_w

Feel free to criticise Wink
Thanks given by:
Camp is a fourth gear corner Smile
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure its forth I'll try it at some point, but I'm sure it seems to be lower in the revs for me. I'm pretty sure I can't carry enough speed through the corner to be in a higher gear. I'll give it a go next time maybe Tongue
Thanks given by:
You'll find it easier as the torque will carry you through. More stable on the brakes and much smoother mid corner as you aren't putting so much power through one wheel (doesn't look like you have a diff?). Try it and float it out to the rumble strip. Everything else is third pretty much, no second gear but it sounded like you were doing that already!

Good to see someone enjoying themselves and driving it, not pootling about like Pebbles Wink
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
ha, I know that ramp, do you work there?
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Cousin's garage Big Grin
Thanks given by:
ahhh cool, I knew I had heard an XU10J4RS in the valley other than mine.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Where do you live around there then never seen your car? Smile
Thanks given by:
100 yards away from GT Tyres at the most !
Thanks given by:
this was BLOODY rapid on track!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thanks mate Smile, I'm sorry I didn't get to give you a ride after but I wasn't expecting my mate to come Tongue

I'll see you at pugfest though hopefully mooch a ride off you if there is a seat going Tongue
Thanks given by:
That headlight air feed is just awesome, it looks so mean! I love it.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  saving the red rallye chiefton 30 6,044 19-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Last Post: chiefton