Cracked head somewhere...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cracked head somewhere...
Sad 
Doh

so i am leaning more and more to a small crack opening up in my cylinder head somewhere...

inflated coolant lines (hard but not too hard) and when reved i get foam in me coolant expansion tank

however, how much cavitation does the pump cause as its coming from the return line from the pump and is most apparent when its hot (only when its hot) and the thermostat is open...

any ideas?

i am guessing someone could have a poke at pugfest and identify it for me/confirm or deny my fears so to speak.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Any other head symptoms, high running temps, using coolant, mayo, etc.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Nope, lol, hence i asked about the cavitation..

although not accurate by any stretch of the imagination, the coolant guage sits bang middle of the range as normal..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
HG failure could do that.

have you had the gasses in the coolant sniffed?

When you give it a good boosted drive, does it not get hot then?....heaters working ok? Not losing coolant?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Probably HG failure - just like mine was, XUDs rarely mayo their oil/coolant unless they're very severe.

(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
HEad gasket is new, brand new.. and VR one as well.. 3+1+1 repair gasket, head skimmed, sorted..
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
didn't you just re-torque and drash on ruan?
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2014, 09:55 PM)toseland Wrote: HEad gasket is new, brand new.. and VR one as well.. 3+1+1 repair gasket, head skimmed, sorted..

did you have the same symptoms before?

If it was skimmed, it should have been pressure tested
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It was Mr Piggy... it came back fine, no loss on any cylinder and the bores all looked pristine (still see the hone marks)

i had a gas test done on the header tank today.. nothing in the way of exhaust gases present... he was drawing through the blue liquid for a few minutes whilst reving and also whilst idling..

so the bubbles must be cavitation in the pump, and/or just turbulance in the pot itself.. i am at a loss to explain the inflated hoses tho.. maybe the header tank cap is a little too tight?
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Any loss of coolant at all? And when you say temp sits in the middle of the range does that mean 90*??
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Sounds very much like my ZX. Unexplainable after 2 years and 60 odd thousand miles
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Ahhh yeah Anton's mystery Zx, throwing up its water, never got to the bottom of that
Thanks given by:
My unc had a xantia that did that.

Had head done twice, tested and tested. Found some info that a spate of heads werent much cop. You can find them by the code on the head. Code is the drill holes, or lack of, above the glow plugs. Cant remember what number the dodgy head batch was though Undecided
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cracked Pre-Combustion Chambers RAW 2 1,942 15-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Last Post: RAW
  VE pump cracked...thoughts? Piggy 3 1,862 04-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Piggy