Found out why my brakes arent up to scratch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found out why my brakes arent up to scratch
This.... (the rear left wheel, not ideal haha!)

[attachment=17415]
Thanks given by:
Woooops!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2014, 03:14 PM)Piggy Wrote: Woooops!!!

haha indeed! could smell brakes when i was going down Kirkstone Pass yesterday, thats obviously why! and the disc on that side is pretty dirty whereas the other side is completely clean!
Thanks given by:
How did you not feel that?!!!

One pad is missing!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah 1 pad is missing and 1 is out of place, id wondered why braking hasnt been that sharp recently! GTI6 setup soon though Smile
Will my mpg be reduced because of this?
Thanks given by:
Gti6 brakes arent any different on the rears.

I hope your not still guna drive it like that?!! I just cant believe you didnt feel it like that Confused

Unless piston is seized?!

MPG reduced because of what mate?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2014, 04:20 PM)Piggy Wrote: Gti6 brakes arent any different on the rears.

I hope your not still guna drive it like that?!! I just cant believe you didnt feel it like that Confused

Unless piston is seized?!

MPG reduced because of what mate?

To be honest im pretty sure the piston is seized
For now im geting the nearly new pads out of the rallye nd putting them in the HDI tonight so gotta drive about 10 miles before i can get them switched
mpg reduced due to missign a rear pad and a pad being out of place?
Thanks given by:
that is 100% not safe to drive.
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2014, 04:43 PM)welshpug Wrote: that is 100% not safe to drive.

I have to drive it 10 miles though, all along country roads at 60 ish and a few 30s so its not too bad a drive over, still brakes well though
Thanks given by:
Still brakes well haha!!
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2014, 04:52 PM)MY95 Wrote:
(06-07-2014, 04:43 PM)welshpug Wrote: that is 100% not safe to drive.

I have to drive it 10 miles though, all along country roads at 60 ish and a few 30s so its not too bad a drive over, still brakes well though

no you don't, get someone to bring the pads to you.
Thanks given by:
That is 110% not safe to drive!!!!!

Walk it, cycle, get a lift...just dont drive it!!! Brake hard, IE in an emergency where someones life is at risk and you'll soon see that its dangerous!!

Then, due to the condition of brakes and your knowledge, you will be prosecuted and your insurance will likely not pay out!!

Seriously, I may sound a bit dramatic but ...not worth the risk
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
i see no problem here... =D
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
It always gets me when people say they "have to drive" for whatever reason. If a car is not safe to drive, don't drive it. You get around it. It's not only yourself you're risking, it's other road users. Don't be selfish and drive an unfit car on the road, brakes are NOT something you mess around with.
Thanks given by:
Car now safely home with new rear pads in, thanks for worrying though guys Smile
Car now brakes better and also pulls better too, very happy.
Thanks given by:
Just to check, you have put the retaining clip in properly this time? Wink

Or we'll get deja vu within a few days. lol
Thanks given by:
The rectangular shaped bracket thing wen on with one of the clip things, there was no retaining clips with the Rallye rear brakes unfortunately, they seem very well stuck in for the moment as they were brand new pads, will see what happens in the next few weeks, old retaining clips/bracket were lost when the pad from the last set went mssing
Thanks given by:
Need those retaining clips asap

Dont drive it without them...you'll just be in same situation...possibly with a "look what I crashed into" thread pretty soon!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
FFS get the car OFF the road and sort out the brakes. If you can't do it, call a mobile mechanic. You 100% need the retaining pins (the clue's in the name)
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
all ye lads worry way too much, sure front brakes do most of the braking...
Thanks given by:
Thankyou sweeney1987! Haha
Yea the rear brakes are important as they do 20% of the braking give or take a few, but the front ones make the most difference
Thanks for worrying though lads!
Thanks given by:
The front brakes won't do a damned thing all the time that the rear caliper piston has nothing to press against because the pad has just fallen out - it'll take two or three presses of the pedal going to the floor to take up the gap, and that's likely the difference between ploughing into the car in front or not.

As others have said, fix the brakes properly or don't drive. It's really that simple.

The pad retaining L-shaped bar and the clip that secures it are absolutely critical on the Bendix calipers. With the clip missing the pad retaining bar will slowly work its way out, and once it comes out, there's nothing at all securing the pads and they will start to fall out.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2014, 10:37 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: The front brakes won't do a damned thing all the time that the rear caliper piston has nothing to press against because the pad has just fallen out - it'll take two or three presses of the pedal going to the floor to take up the gap, and that's likely the difference between ploughing into the car in front or not.

As others have said, fix the brakes properly or don't drive. It's really that simple.

The pad retaining L-shaped bar and the clip that secures it are absolutely critical on the Bendix calipers. With the clip missing the pad retaining bar will slowly work its way out, and once it comes out, there's nothing at all securing the pads and they will start to fall out.

This, or until all the brake fluid comes out where the piston went too far.

Crazy how some people drive their cars lol
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2014, 10:15 AM)MY95 Wrote: Thankyou sweeney1987! Haha
Yea the rear brakes are important as they do 20% of the braking give or take a few, but the front ones make the most difference

Serious?!

Please tell me your joking?!

Do you even know how brake systems work?!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I had this heard scraping was about 200 miles away down south. Shit setup really
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Weird thing is...I have never in my ownership and maintenance of friends 306s and similar has this happen.....guess just luck of the draw perhaps.....either way its outright irresponsible to drive without that clip, as small as it may be
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2014, 10:37 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: The front brakes won't do a damned thing all the time that the rear caliper piston has nothing to press against because the pad has just fallen out - it'll take two or three presses of the pedal going to the floor to take up the gap, and that's likely the difference between ploughing into the car in front or not.

Ok cheers for the info

(07-07-2014, 11:57 AM)Piggy Wrote:
(07-07-2014, 10:15 AM)MY95 Wrote: Thankyou sweeney1987! Haha

Serious?!

Please tell me your joking?!

Do you even know how brake systems work?!!

I have an idea how the brakes work but im not that clued up on it, but still theres way more pressure on the front brakes than rears
Thanks given by:
But you wont have any brakes if the pads come out the caliper.....the amount of braking effort over the two axles is irrelevant
Not until you pump like mad...whilst flying towards a wall/car/child...and the piston contacts the disc...which may not happen before it pops out and pee's fluid out.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Exactly. To generate pressure on a hydraulic circuit you've got to have something to push against with rather more resistance than thin air.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" as the saying goes.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
you deffo shouldnt drive without the clip, its much safer to take off the caliper and disconnect the abs... Itwasntme
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brakes arent very good. Tom 23 5,470 23-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Tom