Bolt on turbo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bolt on turbo?
Got talking with my cousin last night. Just wondering how hard/easy it would be to bolt a turbo onto a straight 1.9? Pretty sure they are the exact same engines? Has it been done? Is it less hassle putting the dturbo engine in?

Cheers
Thanks given by:
Nope, they arent the same engines..

different (square) ports, few other subtle differences.. no easily accessible oil feed or return pipes for the turbo, cooling is a little different if i am not mistaken (i might be)

you would be better off getting a DHY-XUD9 engine and dropping that in, same shape but just with the added size of the turbo on the back of the block
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2014, 10:12 AM)toseland Wrote: Nope, they arent the same engines..

different (square) ports, few other subtle differences.. no easily accessible oil feed or return pipes for the turbo, cooling is a little different if i am not mistaken (i might be)

They are the same, the square ports are only on *VERY* early XUD9s out of 305s, some very early 205s, Citroen Visas etc.

The cylinder head is the same casting - however valves are different, rods are different, pump is different, no return for the turbo oil drain, manifolds different - not worth it.

Just get a turbo engine and it bolts straight in. Vastly easier.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I noticed they're both xud9's just obviously one is the 9a and the other is 9te but yeah I
Think it'll be easier just to swap engines, cheers lads
Thanks given by:
Anyone know specifics on engine swap? Same drive shafts? Same exhaust? Same gearbox? Etc
Thanks given by:
It would probably be easier to pick up a complete engine for less than £100. If you have only been offered the block and all the turbo parts then just the block, head, manifold, turbo and manifolds are needed. You may be able to retro fit other stuff but that would be so much more work even bothering to swap it all over just get a complete engine. Driveshafts gearbox etc will all fit.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ahh good to know, just had a know it all saying the drive shafts and gearboxes aren't the same haha
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turbo manifold bolt conversion? Jaymes306 8 3,560 16-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Jaymes306