bad knock, pump?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bad knock, pump?
Hi all, wondering if I can get any advice, sorry if this is a bit long winded.

Running my xud in the 205 tuned a bit to 19psi. Ive had issues before with my aux belt jumping a groove along because of what I believe to be a busted tensioner. yesterday it frayed again so I burnt off the hanging bit of belt, only happened as I was pulling into work. I managed to limp home with no more belt fray keeping the revs low but about ten mins in the engine was knocking bad so I assumed it was more belt. Got home and changed the aux belt no problems but she still ran noisy and knocking, the noise is dependant of engine speed as it gets louder and builds in speed with the rpms.

I've done the old screwdriver to the ear trick and it sounds like the pump is quite loud. I can't see any excess smoke than usual or down on power that I noticed even though I've not been driving it just to test it.

I've just tried regarding the pump timing a little and it just runs lumpy and upon advancing it, can't say I noticed any difference either. Previously to this I had never messed with the advance on the Lucas pump.

Does anyone have Any ideas as to what it might be? Stuck injector? Spun a bearing or something? No blue smoke out the exhaust or mayo in the coolant and never over heats.

Many thanks for any advice as I need help
Cheers

Chris
Thanks given by:
too much advance it sounds like... poossibly one or 2 teeth out.. try turning the top of the pump towards the car, if the knocking reduces you have your issue.. belt off, retime

might as well do a new tensioner and belt, if its starting to fray already, nice gates kit should be 50-80quid depending on where you get it from and will come with idler and tensioner too.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I put a new aux belt kit on when I did the conversion a couple thousand miles ago and then put a new one on again yesterday. I tried advancing and regarding the pump but the noise didn't go away, got slightly quieter when regarding the pump timing but it ran lumpy and struggled to tick over
Thanks given by:
have you retimed the engine tho? properly i mean.. locking all the locky bits, with the belt off and redoing it all that way.. it will at very least eliminate it..it may be that your belt got into the timing belt and did something nasty.

stuck or knackered injectors usually have some other symptoms, white smoke/black smoke etc..

there is a little blue plug on the pump, pull it off, give it some WD and gently scrape the contacts with some thing metal to remove any corrosion, and reapply.. it might help
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I was thinking that about something getting into the cam belt but it was way worse before and nothing happened. Is the blue plug cold start advance? As I had already unplugged it whilst the engine was running and the idle rose then fell when j put it back in. Is there any special way of checking injectors and removing them from the head? I assume they're tight as. Do you have to replace seals when you 're seat them?

Cheers
Chris
Thanks given by:
yeah its the cold start i think... mine runs like hell when cold if its off, and isnt too healthy when on..

Take a long screwdriver, put the blade of the screwdriver on the injector, this is easiest by the union for the fuel line or where the injector screws into the holder, and press the other end onto your ear.. you will hear it pinging or clicking... on idle each injector will be firing about 4 times a second on idle, and it will be regular like clockwork.

if any sound different or odd, its a good bet that that particular injector is sticking or playing up.. i had one that sounded different to the others, the tick was a different tone and every so often it wouldnt tick... cue sticky injector...

Be careful, as if there is a missfire the engine may be rocking a little more violently and could bruise your ear like i did with mine.. this is made less of an issue if you listen from the end of the engine rather than from in front as the screwdriver will be rocking from side to side rather than back to front

removing the injectors, isnt that bad but you need a 27mm injector socket really, they are torqued quite tightly.. but should come undo relatively easy.. you will need a nice long breaker bar to make it easier..

the copper washers can be a bastard to remove, and you also need fire washers (those are just as important as the copper washers).. i would take them out and replace them,

you may be ok with leaving teh copper washers in, but bear in mind that one or 2 might be stuck on the injectors, if that's the case
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
So after further investigation it sounds like injector three was rather pingy so I pulled it out and cleaned it up and left in some solution and then I've put wynns injector cleaner in the tank but still no avail. Now I have noticed a bit of excess smoke and seems like the car takes longer to pick up and it's a bit lumpy on start ups (this was also before I took the injector out) still not sure if it's the pump timing is out but the noise is still there bad as ever so I think more fiddling with the timing and checking the timing on the pulleys line up even though they always have.

Could it possibly be the injector? There is a lot of noise but hard to tell where from and the screwdriver to the ear trick points to injector 3 and the pump sounds clattery but not sure if it sounded any louder than usual.
Thanks given by:
as a rule of thumb i would never bother putting anything in the tank... the problem with that is it descales all of the shite off of the inside of the tank which promptly flows down the fuel line and blocks either that, or the filter up..

best thing to do is to fill a new fuel filter up with it if you have teh canister type.. the fuel will trickle into it as normal and come out mixed with a decent amount of cleaner..

more to come after this meeting
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Fiddled with the pump advance a bit more and it still knocks real bad but I'm not sure if it's quieter now or just in my head. One thing I have noticed is that under load especially when you bog the engine the knock goes away and you can actually hear the turbo spooling over the noise for once but cruising it's bad and when y oh change down and let the clutch out its real bad.

I can't think what those symptoms would point to but I did order a new injector as one sounded not too healthy but checked it today and it sounds fine :z really stuck with this one.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diesel Knock pugtk 2 1,269 16-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Low fuel cause bad knock HDIkyle 1 881 27-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HDIkyle
  Diesel knock ashdunn 12 5,171 30-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Last Post: ashdunn