Oil pressure and temp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil pressure and temp
Pug306driver, sounds like you need a new thermostat and cd player mate. Everything else you've posted there is normal.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No such thing as an XUD13/15 - it's a DK5, totally different engine family, very little in common really - I'd doubt the oil pump is of the same design.

The oil pressure your engine will run at depends greatly on multiple things, how worn it is, what oil you're going, how hot it is, what other people consider hot... Notice that everyone's going on about the springs, but most of the time you're not hitting the regulator - that's simply a cold start thing really, once it's warm, it's much lower than the regulation pressure.

General rule I've heard numerous times is 10psi for every thousand RPM until about 60psi at normal operating temperature - That should be a good minimum - anything more isn't a bad thing, but too much is never good.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Off topic I know but I did think XUD13 sounded wrong in my head. From looking at service box I'm pretty sure the pumps are the same (they are in the pics) but you've got me wondering what else is cross compatible.
Thanks given by:
So from what ruan is saying... 60psi being around 2bar...

Well, thats what my gauge is reading, once warm, 2.1/2.2 bar is what I see at full boost at around 4k rpm
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
60psi is 4 bar
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oh yeah. fail. Im tired! Confused
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Full of shit more like. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
thanks poodle,

I did check the thermostate some time ago ( opened and closed ok in saucepan on cooker ) but will re check........as to cd player, there is no rubber bush at the back, there is a pin ( bolt ) which would seem to sit in a rubber bush which would seem to fit in a "round" plastic support........

the cd player doesn't always work ( load and play a cd ) when eng is off.....when I fiorst removed it and took the lid off some polystyrene bits where seen.......maybe a good clean etc would help, the cd's are clean .........

today I selected cold on the heater temp dial and she seemed to run a bit hotter whilst driving....75 degrees ish.........
Thanks given by:
ive just driven my car for the first time for a week.

i make the oil temp 110C just criusing at 80 (im using a Tim electric oil temp guage, the range on the gauge is 50, 70, 90 and then jumps to 120, 150) the needle sits on the small incredment between 90C and 120C, which i have always thought was 110, but i could be wrong.

At 80 mph the pressure sits at 55-60 psi.

This oil temp gauge

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do...wwodw0gAbQ
306 XUD9 gt2052s
306 hdi stage 2 (hdi tuning)
205 STDT -new project
Thanks given by:
oil should not be that hot when cruising, are you using the o.e or a TIM sender?
Thanks given by:
Those seem quite high to me...

I know mine are reading low...but cruising at 80mph, theres not much load on the engine...110 is hot! And 60psi seems mad
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
60 psi is fine, peak is about 75 psi on a diesel engine at about 4k, 3k would be around 60 and 80 mph, oil should be close to coolant temp which when cruising at steady speeds should be around the mid 80's, given an 83 degree thermostat and an efficient radiator.
Thanks given by:
5bar/75psi is way over the top for a engine up to temp and cruising surely?

My oil sits around coolant temp unless I mash it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
not at all, its what they're designed to run at.

not enough oil pressure means not enough oil between bearing and crank, which means DEATH.
Thanks given by:
An XUD shouldnt be hitting its regulator at cruising speed at operating temp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
who said anything about the regulator??
Thanks given by:
We did, only a few posts ago.

5bar is the xud regulator spring rating. So going by that I cant believe a XUD, unless running a GTi6 box, would be hitting the reg max pressure at a cruise!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
depends what speed you cruise at, but at a given RPM they WILL peak whatever gear they're in.
Thanks given by:
Im using the tim temp sender which is screwed in to a sandwich plate.

The engine only has about 120k miles, but that means nothing really. Ive been though a few turbo diesel engines and this one has performed well and sounded better than the rest.

I might remove the sensor, give it a clean and make sure it well earthed
306 XUD9 gt2052s
306 hdi stage 2 (hdi tuning)
205 STDT -new project
Thanks given by:
Run on motorway watching gauges while mrs drove...

Oil sat at 90degrees at 70-90 cruise speeds
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil temp and pressure gauges Slam Wagon 15 2,986 10-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Slam Wagon
  Intake temp and Exhaust temp sensors? JTaylor2005 5 2,408 26-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005