Stereo/Sub issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo/Sub issues
Okay guys, here's how it goes, I got the sub and stereo wired in, they both work fine, sub and stereo but the sub only works when the stereo is on the radio and the rest of the time it's dead (AUX and CD it's dead) the remote turn on cable is powering the aerial or something like that, so how can I get around that without it been a permant power supply to the amp killing the car off? It was hooked into the 12V of the stereo before and it kept killing the car so wanna get around it some how!

The sub is a FLI 1000W Pre-amp (Amp built in)
The stereo is a Sony Xplod MEX-BT2500

I've had to splice the cables at the back to provide the sub with the outputs required to make it work as this stereo don't have AUX outputs on the back of it, so I've connected it up to the rear speakers, the blue stereo cable is the remote turn on but only works with the radio, I had it connected to the 12V yellow before and it killed the car so how can I get around it? Get another Remote Turn on cable (already got a 5M one) so wire that into the yellow 12V as it was before, just get a switch and fit it somewhere in the car out of view? That's the only thing I can think of at the moment!
Thanks given by:
Connecting the remote to the switch live shouldn't "kill the car", something must be wrong. What do you mean? It doesn't have to be the one for the unit, any switch live manly enough will be fine. The one for the HU should be fine, so I'd advise to stop trying to get around it, find out what was wrong and do it properly.
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 02:40 PM)Curt Wrote: Connecting the remote to the switch live shouldn't "kill the car", something must be wrong. What do you mean? It doesn't have to be the one for the unit, any switch live manly enough will be fine. The one for the HU should be fine, so I'd advise to stop trying to get around it, find out what was wrong and do it properly.

By killing the car what I mean is over night the battery dies unless the car's been used, that's what I meant and I know what's wrong with it, the cable that it's connected to now (ignition turn on) provides the 12V to the aerial, so when it's on CD or AUX the sub is dead and the wire isn't hot, that's what I mean, I can't find another 12V ignition turn on that isn't linked into the stereo, plus I don't wanna splice anymore wires than what I have to or do you know a cable I can dial it into that comes live when the ignition is turned on?
Thanks given by:
I don't mean the problem you're having with the sub, that's obvious and is because it's connected to the wrong thing. If the battery is draining then it's not been connected to a switch live, it's a permanent one. Check with a multimeter, find the correct wire and it'll be fine.
Thanks given by:
It sounds like you've got them hooked up to permanent live hence it killing the battery.
There's a remote switch cable on headunit. It's a a thin blue wire and you need to run a wire from amp to it and it will switch amps and subs on when ignition is on and won't drain battery.
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 03:25 PM)Curt Wrote: I don't mean the problem you're having with the sub, that's obvious and is because it's connected to the wrong thing. If the battery is draining then it's not been connected to a switch live, it's a permanent one. Check with a multimeter, find the correct wire and it'll be fine.

Yeah it was hooked up to the permanent one but it's not anymore, it's not connected to the ignition turn on but the sub only works with the radio been on and not on AUX or CD

(13-06-2014, 03:26 PM)MarkTD Wrote: It sounds like you've got them hooked up to permanent live hence it killing the battery.
There's a remote switch cable on headunit. It's a a thin blue wire and you need to run a wire from amp to it and it will switch amps and subs on when ignition is on and won't drain battery.

It's now connected to the ignition cable but it only works when the radio is on for some reason, I don't know why, it sucks and starting to piss me off!
Thanks given by:
If that's the case then it isn't a switch live, you need to do what I said and check the wiring with a multimeter.
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 04:15 PM)Curt Wrote: If that's the case then it isn't a switch live, you need to do what I said and check the wiring with a multimeter.

Okay mate, gotta invest in one, lol
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 01:55 PM)JethroJay Wrote: but the sub only works when the stereo is on the radio and the rest of the time it's dead (AUX and CD it's dead) the remote turn on cable is powering the aerial or something like that

Ive not read everything.
But your subs only working when you have the radio on and not when playing cd or anything...
Could it be due to the fact that youve wired the remote wire to the aerial?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 09:29 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(13-06-2014, 01:55 PM)JethroJay Wrote: but the sub only works when the stereo is on the radio and the rest of the time it's dead (AUX and CD it's dead) the remote turn on cable is powering the aerial or something like that

Ive not read everything.
But your subs only working when you have the radio on and not when playing cd or anything...
Could it be due to the fact that youve wired the remote wire to the aerial?

I'm using the block that the stereo came with and wired it into the blue wire on the stereo as that's what the guy at Halfords said to do and also quite a few other people said to connect it to the blue cable as well as that's the remote wire, I wired my sub up in the Astra and that was perfectly fine, nothing wrong with it! So this has got me in a pickle!
Thanks given by:
The headunit isn't designed to work with a sub (hence having no pre-outs) and the blue wire relates to the antenna control (extends aerials on cars with retractable ones), hence only working on the radio setting.

To continue with the same headunit you will need to bodge a switched ignition live as explained above, however I'd seriously consider buying a £20 HU from eBay with the functions you want. Quicker, neater, better sound control.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 10:29 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: The headunit isn't designed to work with a sub (hence having no pre-outs) and the blue wire relates to the antenna control (extends aerials on cars with retractable ones), hence only working on the radio setting.

To continue with the same headunit you will need to bodge a switched ignition live as explained above, however I'd seriously consider buying a £20 HU from eBay with the functions you want. Quicker, neater, better sound control.

Tinie ain't NEVER gonna part with this head unit she's got, my dad's gotta better chance breathing again!
Thanks given by:
I didn't see the part about the fact it has no pre-outs. In which case, Chris is right, you need to get a different HU (that one isn't anything special and Sony definitely are not the best) and wire it in correctly.
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2014, 11:52 PM)Curt Wrote: I didn't see the part about the fact it has no pre-outs. In which case, Chris is right, you need to get a different HU (that one isn't anything special and Sony definitely are not the best) and wire it in correctly.

She had a DVD player in there before and that did have pre-outs, lol she took it out for that and like I said, she ain't gonna get rid of it anytime soon, my dads got more chance of breathing again and his dead ass is ash!
Thanks given by:
Problem is it's never going to work 'properly' so even if you get he sub powered up it's just amplifying the rear speaker output without any form of frequency control - it will sound louder but the quality will be shite!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
There's no way round it. You have to decide what's more important, it's a bit odd to be so attached to a low-spec head unit... You could pick up a cheap second hand Alpine on eBay which would be 10x better and have the connections you need. Although the fact that you're using a Fli active sub tells me that SQ isn't high on the agenda anyway. If she's that attached to the Sony, you can pick up a model which will be basically the same with pre-outs. They are your options, there isn't a way round it.
Thanks given by:
(14-06-2014, 11:07 AM)Curt Wrote: There's no way round it. You have to decide what's more important, it's a bit odd to be so attached to a low-spec head unit... You could pick up a cheap second hand Alpine on eBay which would be 10x better and have the connections you need. Although the fact that you're using a Fli active sub tells me that SQ isn't high on the agenda anyway. If she's that attached to the Sony, you can pick up a model which will be basically the same with pre-outs. They are your options, there isn't a way round it.

Already in the car when she got it mate (sub) but I was gonna use my sub I've got and my amp in the car, that way I can turn the amp on and off cause I can wire that into the front of the car and have the sub in the boot (as you would) but then I don't see the point in messing about like that, I'll just leave it off, easier for me and saves her moaning at me!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connecting car stereo controls with aftermarket stereo andrej.pilipovic 4 2,158 07-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset