Eco button idea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eco button idea
I had this idea the otherday as a sort of fuel saver.
My idea was to put a vacuum solenoid in the boost compensator hose so it can be cut turned off when cruising at motorway speeds when the engine producing say 5 psi or whatever or even when driving normally for an eco drive.
The switch could be put in the dash so you are able to activate it when you wish.
Here's some pics so you get the idea [Image: IMAG0742.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0743.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0744.jpg]

I will just need a reducer pipe and wire it up to the dash so it can be turned on or off at will.
Thoughts please?
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Wont make any difference im afraid, the LDA system is only injecting extra fuel at pretty much full throttle. When cruising and only pushing 4/5psi you will only be on the throttle very lightly, and like I say this wont be enough to make the LDA kick in.
Nice thought though Tongue
Thanks given by:
i think at leisurely paces - these vehicles can run quite decent mpg anyway being a decent maintained engine - i know at least the majority of members here can reach 40+mpg ..

What exactly would this solenoid do? reduce boost levels? :|
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Shame that, though I was on to a winner lol.
Could still work as a conrod saver for a daily driver I guess lol . I might just give it a try and report back.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:Shame that, though I was on to a winner lol.
Could still work as a conrod saver for a daily driver I guess lol . I might just give it a try and report back.

Popcorn
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Some people have tried a similar setup so that there is a valve which opens and lets boost get to LDA once boost pressure reaches 'xx' psi. So the LDA doesnt do anything until for example 20psi, then it kicks in, which would help stop too much off boost fuelling and bogging down. Smile
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Some people have tried a similar setup so that there is a valve which opens and lets boost get to LDA once boost pressure reaches 'xx' psi. So the LDA doesnt do anything until for example 20psi, then it kicks in, which would help stop too much off boost fuelling and bogging down. Smile

So sorta like a MBC for the pump? Might give that a try, fed up of the smoke. Still useful for tailgaters though :dance:
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
*Presses switch, floors it, loses sight of car behind*
Thanks given by:
Yeh as dan said a ball and spring valve is a good idea, you would get all power at once pretty much then, but your turbo will be much laggier. The idea your on about has been done many times before but wouldnt make any difference when your only on part throttle anyway, so still wouldnt be producing any boost. The LDA is just an extension of your throttle, so when your not flooring it the boost isnt there/isnt needed/wouldnt do anything to the pump anyway.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ginge, the solenoid would leech boost from the LDA actuator chamber, making it engage later. Although i think the vacuum pump may struggle to keep up, perhaps a solenoid controlled leak-off valve would be more effective.

I've been having thoughts along these lines for a while now. How about adding vacuum actuation to your waste-gate? I understand back-pressure creates some pumping losses, particularly at motorway cruising speeds (2900rpm @ 70 ftl, need to get that hdi box on Sad ). My thought being that you would effectively be adding an over-ride switch to your wg actuator for these times, which will reduce pumping losses and theoretically improve mpg, although i haven't yet got an EMP gauge so couldn't tell you either way for sure.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Tbh hid box will probably do alot more for economy
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Tbh hid box will probably do alot more for economy

There's also that rare 206 hdi with the green 'I' in the badge that has a longer 'box again, which everyone was fapping about a few years ago on pugnet...

Thatd do wonders for economy too!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
You want to modify the Actuator so you can apply vacuum to it, open up the wastegate for cruising, it'll be SHIT slow, but you'll reduce pumping losses and backpressure...

However, if you so much as give the throttle the LIGHTEST poke, it'll coal to buggery, used to do exactly that with the VNT - that's how I managed to get 57mpg on the way to FCS last year.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ed Doe Wrote:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Tbh hid box will probably do alot more for economy

There's also that rare 206 hdi with the green 'I' in the badge that has a longer 'box again, which everyone was fapping about a few years ago on pugnet...

Thatd do wonders for economy too!
That and damn good service will go wonders for fuel economy
More of a difference tbh
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:You want to modify the Actuator so you can apply vacuum to it, open up the wastegate for cruising, it'll be SHIT slow, but you'll reduce pumping losses and backpressure...

Ruan agrees with one of my hare-brained ideas... :o
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  just had a very pikey idea bashbarnard 15 3,203 21-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Any idea's? Gaz85 1 902 23-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  gearbox idea?? Joe 18 4,311 17-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191