Fast Road - Tyres and Discs.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fast Road - Tyres and Discs.
Hi Guys,

After having the 1.8 on track I have only got a few mm left on my tyres. The brakes that are on it are random ones I threw on when my last pads were down to the metal.

I am now looking for 4 tyres which will be good on track and for fast road. 195/50/15. Old tyres were Yokohamas and goodyear eagle F1s which I thought were pretty good. What would people recommend? Looking at around £50 a corner.

Currently running 266mm brakes but id like to get some drilled and grooved discs on there with some green stuff pads. What brand of discs are decent?

I have some drilled and grooved discs for the back so Ill be putting those on. Is it worth putting green stuff pads on the rear?

266mm brakes are the biggest I can fit under the fondmetals. Im not on track often so I want to use the same set of tyres for road and track.

Cheers
Sam
Thanks given by:
I had eagle F1s on the Winis when Scott gave them to me and they were good until they got to 2mm then turned to absolute shite.

If you can afford them, Pilot sport 3s. Imo, you can't beat them and I'm sure a lot of others will agree but you will pay a premium for them.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(11-06-2014, 07:34 PM)Niall Wrote: I had eagle F1s on the Winis when Scott gave them to me and they were good until they got to 2mm then turned to absolute shite.

If you can afford them, Pilot sport 3s. Imo, you can't beat them and I'm sure a lot of others will agree but you will pay a premium for them.

£56 a corner. Camskill

or £72.49 fitted on blackcircles.
Thanks given by:
I would avoid drilled discs imho

Mintex 1144s seem the choice these day over cheap nasty green stuff pads.

and as regards tyres, depends if you intend on going on track more....

I think a compromise on track and on the road is pointless when you could get a set of 15" steels and part worn track tyres for probably under £150 if you were patient and careful. Then you can choose some tyres more suited to british roads
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
wouldnt bother with the groved drill discs
std cheap discs with green stuff for the estate on the front and std pads on the back on std discs
stops the big bus well

green stuff pads will work from cold , but once they warm up they get a lot better. driving the motorway for a while then braking to a stop you will notice this more

red and yellow will need warming before they work well
Thanks given by:
Greenstuff are supposed to be shite.
Thanks given by:
can vouch for 1144s
Thanks given by:
I use ferodo ds2500's, awesome pads.

Also, I run Yokohama a048r semi slicks on the road and track.... excellent tyre, but not sure what they'd be like on a daily...
JP
Thanks given by:
the a048's on mine make the steering real heavy even with power steering
Thanks given by:
Were the a048s with a soft compound? looks about £131 a tyre without VAT and fitting.

Think Ill have to go for the PS3s
Thanks given by:
I run the medium compound on mine, the ones I gave cully were medium-hard.
JP
Thanks given by:
I use the yoko ad08r's, I've found them good so far. As for discs the brembo Max's have been good for me and using them with the 4pots and all.
Thanks given by:
Running marangoni zeta liners on my 6,all time favourite Road tyres, although they're pretty soft compound so probably not the best for daily use. Can't remember off the top of my head how much they are each but seriously good tyres

As for pads, mintex 1144 and well serviced calipers have never let me down
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Everyone who is someone raves about Ferodo ds2500 brake pads.

www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/brake-pads/car/peugeot/306-phase-3/1999/2-0td/ferodo-competition-brake-pads-ds2500-compound-front-pad-set

Supposed to be the dogs bollocks of pads.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Ferodos are brilliant, better than 1144's. Just not sure if worth the extra wonga
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
1144's are "supposed" to be quite dusty when abused on track and won't last all that long.

Can't comment from personal experience unfortunately.

The mintex's I did run seemed all right for road use..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
As said, avoid drilled/grooved altogether, a good OEM disc is the best way to go on a road car. In the unlikely event that you are cooking brakes there's more likely to be something wrong than a requirement for an upgraded disc.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
1144s on decent quality vented discs, decent dot 5.1 fluid and michelin ps3s. Stood up to ALL of the abuse for 5k, track time, nurburgring, mountain passes, the lot. No fade on long downhills, no surprising changes in performance, easy to drive and was getting good rates of wear too.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
How long are peoples ps3s lasting? And has anyone ran them stretched? Would like to try them next but i keep hearing of their soft sidewalls but would still want to run 195/45 on an 8j
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-06-2014, 03:45 PM)Slam Wagon Wrote: How long are peoples ps3s lasting? And has anyone ran them stretched? Would like to try them next but i keep hearing of their soft sidewalls but would still want to run 195/45 on an 8j

Mine are lasting very well. Ive done 3k roughly on them now i think and they have barely worn. Still easily 6-7mm on them
Also, mine are ever so slightly stretched. Im running 195/45 on 7.5J with no issues at all.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
At fcs I was running 1144's with ad08r's no problem with the brakes at all...

next time I buy a set I am going for r888's though
Thanks given by:
R888 < A048R.... In my opinion.
JP
Thanks given by:
Need to order some PS3s. Annoying as I have 3 new Rainsport 2s but they will be terrible on track.
Thanks given by:
If you've got 16's, buy my spare A048r's Smile
JP
Thanks given by:
Brembo max discs, havent warped mine yet and drive like c*nt. coupled with 1144's theyre really good stopping power, rear is pretty much unimportant as you barely brake with the rear anyway so genuine standard stuff should do.

as for tyres go for goodyear eagle f1's or yoko parada spec2's. perform equally well.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(16-06-2014, 07:50 AM)jammapic Wrote: R888 < A048R.... In my opinion.

If you look at anyone's car who is fairly quick around the track an find it when it's parked up 99% of the time it's r888

That 650 bhp evo thas had thousands spent on it runs r888 they must be doing somthing right
Thanks given by:
Yes, but mainly because R888's used to be so much cheaper than A048R's. Now that's not the case because they've got so popular, I see no real reason not to go with A048R's.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Suppose will have to try both Big Grin
Thanks given by:
its fast road, not track car!

you need quite different suspension for AO48's, much harder spring rates, R888's not as much so as they're not a full on race tyre, having said that I know guys that have run the Yoko on the road Big Grin

PS3 anyway.
Thanks given by:
Think ill order some PS3s.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tyres for road LewisG 22 5,021 03-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  recomended tyres for road/track cully 33 8,133 21-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Last Post: jamiek_uk2000