VNT Turbo Options

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VNT Turbo Options
Hi all,

Sorry as some of you know I dont have an XUD, but its the closest thing for advice etc!

Looking at VNT options for an M41D17.

Its a 1,666cc diesel engine with a Bosch VP37 on it.

Right now I have a Mitsubishi TD04-11G from a BMW 325TDS on it, and it works very well! However being quite a small engine the lag is a bit horiffic for my taste.

I am looking for a reletively cheap VNT to play with on it, been looking at the GT1749V that comes on the 320d e46, and they might be almost bolt on (other than the down pipe and boost pipe) but are quite steep for an experiment.

The 1749V and 1852V from the Renaults are a much more reasonable price, but are completely back to front which may make them impossible to fit.

Can anyone thing of any other VNTs I can hunt for on ebay to see if they may be suitable?

This is what is currently on there.

Thanks Smile

[Image: IMG_3456_zpsa59563fd.jpg]

Nick.
Thanks given by:
Back to front, how? Could the Renault ones not just be clocked?
Thanks given by:
whats relatively cheap?

gt2256v can be had for sub £150 and will pretty much bolt on
Thanks given by:
(08-06-2014, 07:02 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Back to front, how? Could the Renault ones not just be clocked?

Hot and cold side, they have a triangular foot like my current manifold, however if that part is the right way round the cold side of the turbo is right next to my exhaust, and the the hot side is sat next to my induction.

(08-06-2014, 07:19 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: whats relatively cheap?

gt2256v can be had for sub £150 and will pretty much bolt on

Cheers chap will have a look Smile
Thanks given by:
Decided the gt2256 was probably a bit too big for the wee 1,666cc lump! As awesome as it might be (before it explodes) trying to get rid of lag going vnt rather than make more haha.

Bought a GT1749v from a 320d e46 (150bhp version) looks like it should be pretty much bolt on other than the downpipe and actuator biznezzz. Has funky motorized one instead of the vacuum one.

Will sort something out for it I am sure Wink
Thanks given by:
shame...Im selling a GT2256vnt cheap Undecided

would have been awesome

Looks like very similar flanges too
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure that gt1749v is good for 200bhp, should have absolutely epic (ie instant) spool too Smile

forgot you're only 1.6 tbh!

piece of cake to make an actuator bracket up to take a vac or boost can - may need to fudge the vnt lever, but all doable
Thanks given by:
oh, I missed the 1.6 bit! lol! I assumed a 2.0d!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Pokey little engine though! 90bhp standard on 14psi with a GT15 (blew that up ages ago haha)

Amazing how much a of a difference a TD04 and 30psi makes Wink Will have to get it on some kind of rolling road when this VNT is on and I am happy it's all working well Smile

Cheers for the infos, will update the project thread when some building of things gets under way.
Thanks given by:
318tds?
are they any good for tuning? i had one but didnt keep it long enough, hated how underpowered the engine felt for the car, no confidence at all overtaking so soon got rid and went back to driving my xldt
Thanks given by:
(11-06-2014, 01:09 AM)sweeney1987 Wrote: 318tds?
are they any good for tuning? i had one but didnt keep it long enough, hated how underpowered the engine felt for the car, no confidence at all overtaking so soon got rid and went back to driving my xldt

They are awful standard arent they!

Fairly pokey when you start having a play Smile They love to rev...
Thanks given by:
If you can find one for cheap, GTC1446VZ is an outstanding turbo... They made 170hp from the factory from a 46mm compressor, amazing for smaller engines that will require higher boost levels, the compressor geometry is designed for it, especially if it's got the stock head, won't get the surge issues of older units.

Another good one would be the GTB2056VL(K) off a late Volvo D5, again, made for higher boost levels, won't surge as bad with the later compressor geometry.

As said the 1749v is a good option, however you may find it won't make as much power as you may expect. I'd guess your GT15 was a 1549 from the factory, so probably had a similar sized compressor, you will see gains as it's a good spooling turbo and the compressor geometry will be slightly better... Hence I say the GTC turbos, they were specifically designed for high power outputs from smaller displacement engines...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
All this informations, good people on this forum see Smile

Cheers Ruan, will see how I get on with this GT1749v first as it looks a really easy fit.

Out of interest what was the GTC1446VZ on?

Get them on all sorts, VAG Commonrail 2.0TDI 170PS, Volvo D3/D4, some GM/Vaux/Fiat 1.7/1.9/2.0CDTis.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XUD build turbo options Adam CD P1 16 10,158 26-12-2019, 07:03 AM
Last Post: monika16
  Tell me how to spend some money pls.. turbo options? 089 8 4,215 22-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Exhaust options for fresh turbo 306Puggy 9 3,567 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Last Post: jay5488