A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END
(21-01-2015, 08:09 PM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: I thought from what you've said it was going to be way worse than that! Are you going to make sure you've prevented the rest of the car from following those bits soon?
I know it's a sleeper but have you considered a half cage? I bet that things no slouch and there's a reason they stopped producing the IIRC?

you never know with metros paul. but with this one been an none sunroof model, its sort of been ok. My gta I tell you the full arse end was rotten to hell, Me and my dad put in a second hand inner arch. We plated up the boot floor on that shell, mind it was a ok job, and it got the car through the mots,
What happens with metros, is that the split at the jacking points so they rot in the joins, or that the sealant dies and the rot sets in.
What I am going to do with this car, when the weather picks up is stone chip the bastard underneath! and reseal the full works again.
fitting a half cage would give the game away tbh, plus this car needs to be practical, as I sometimes take rear passengers too.
It moves when you want it too, with it been light weight you can use the power to weight ratio and not even use the tricky cam system to get away!

I think its due to the fact, there was nt not enough people restoring these, so they dropped making replacement panels, I can only get one performance exhaust for this car now, As they have all been discontinued sadly.
But in very recent years, metro restoration is starting to kick off with the mk 1 and mk2s.  Just when the panels have started to dry up.
Thanks given by:
I get this back tomorrow night! Hopefully I can start to put in the interior again, if the weather is ok, on Wednesday!
Thanks given by:
Soo i guess your not sleeping much tonight then?
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 09:39 PM)306Dan Wrote: Soo i guess your not sleeping much tonight then?

only if my neighbours son doesn't bing and bang and boom, She is a way and the loony toons as we call him, as his little late night rave sessions. Goes on from the after noon right over to 3 am! 
Thanks given by:
Ah remember those days of when the parents were away

Get yourself down to a club show this year Smile
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 09:13 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Ah remember those days of when the parents were away

Get yourself down to a club show this year Smile
He is a pain in the f*cking arse man, needs a good hiding and I mean a good hiding!

I will have a look at the dates as there is a 25th 35th anniversary at gaydon this year for the metro. So I am hoping to get the car to that.

Thanks given by:
egg beater is back home!! paint job is spot on as well as the repair!
here is a photo of the side panel!
[Image: 2015-01-26164208_zps3b23a204.jpg]

going to a be a about a week or so, until I start to clean and re fit the interior, and put the rest of the other bits of the car.
Thanks given by:
a couple of better photos of the driver side,
[Image: 2015-01-28122508_zps8edabb6a.jpg]

[Image: 2015-01-28122515_zps99b9e3da.jpg]

looks a good job, just a case of waiting until the weather picks up a little better, so that I can start to clean the inside and make start fitting in the interior again.
Thanks given by:
Shiny shiny Smile

Bet you are glad to have it back home.
[Image: signaturerrf_zps1c82612b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 08:15 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: Shiny shiny Smile

Bet you are glad to have it back home.

I am glad that I can get the interior back in again and have something that looks like a car again, been off the road nearly 5 months!
got a few things to sort out on it before the mot, I may change the front discs , front pads again and fit front dampers and coil pack, so that I can have it running spot on again.  
Thanks given by:
well I have been back on the bay of e again and I have bought my self some dampers! Yeah!! So we are going from GTA 16v setup to the GTi setup, Also I have bought something that is very rare new, all will be here when it comes in the post! Also some new front disks are on order, as I have yellow stuff pads to go on with this, so the brakes on this will be fuckin mustard!
also a sender unit locking tool has been bought so I can change the odd ball sender gauge, that keeps sticking!
I am wanting to crack on with this, but with the weather been the way it is, you cannot even touch the bastard!
Thanks given by:
right this afternoon, I finely got the chance to make a start on the car, still got loads to do really, as we are still not finished.
So today while it was dry, I decided to put the interior back in,
Here are the better photos of the floor pans,
[Image: 2015-02-02133822_zpsf4869f94.jpg]
[Image: 2015-02-02133826_zpsedbc104a.jpg]
[Image: 2015-02-02133829_zpsc2845112.jpg]
[Image: 2015-02-02133834_zps71177b3a.jpg]

and one of the final time, I hope!

[Image: 2015-02-02133838_zps1fc305f5.jpg]
so with a brush and a hoover I cleaned up the dust and remains, basically what you see in the last photo, Then it was on with the interior,
no photos of that going, as the temperature was starting to drop, and my dad said we are due a few showers,
So I just got the hammer down and got the full works in.
For the 1st time this year, I have interior again! and something that looks like a car again now!
[Image: 2015-02-02161507_zps08123f74.jpg]
[Image: 2015-02-02161513_zpse7f1fb02.jpg]
Been out before xmas I need to run the hoover over it again and wash in side, as its still a bit dusty.
laugh is I had just finished tightening up my seats, and stud up to take these two photos when it started to snow, in fact you can see it in the photos!
What's next on the list then procta, I hear you say, Well I am waiting on parts now, so that I can start under the bonnet,  basically fit dampers, new brake pads and coil pack, but if the weather is going to kick off again, we are looking at better day, for that. We will just finish off the interior, got a major upgrade coming for that too. So just stick with me lads, not to mention a real treat of a gadget to wire in for you too. As I know you lads like a bit of dash out and wiring! 
bloody freezing now!

quick one, this is now! just an hour after the last two photos were taken :o
[Image: 2015-02-02173523_zps08f182ed.jpg]
Thanks given by:
well got my dampers in the post, Three were advertised for sale, so I made an offer on the 3 and they are here, Also I happen to clock another damper the same make from another seller, so I snapped up, for two spares, As They have stopped making dampers for metros now sadly. Not really surprised as the mgf took over, the same story sort of goes for the GTi brake disks and pads.
Its getting the time to fit them now at the min, with the weather been gay, and me doing a few extra hours to cover holidays.
So there you have it, 1st upgrade of 2015.
[Image: 2015-02-03142132_zps870d7b0a.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ok another little extra came to day in the post, Piece of the 80s you might as way!
[Image: 2015-02-04123532_zps1e744236.jpg]

[Image: 2015-02-04123544_zps35d1f5e9.jpg]
[Image: 2015-02-04123705_zps422234ee.jpg]
[Image: 2015-02-04124328_zps049da178.jpg]

that's now replaced the 306 console I had there, i will be fitting my gauges and Hazard switch in to this instead of the 306 one,
At the moment its just placed in.
Thanks given by:
yesterday turned out to be a f*ck on and a half sadly, The waterless coolant I put in the car, well it dumped the full works! I started it up for the 1st time since the interior was put in the car, and I saw some steam coming from the engine bay, checked that out and I found that the jublie clip on the top hose and failed, so the bastard had been weeping out! I did check the coolant before I started the engine anyway as it still ended bleeding properly. So after a f*ck on sorting that out and checking for other leaks, the car was ticking over nicely. Bastard thing is I have to buy more coolant at a cost of 100 quid, but at least its fully converted now, plus bled up you might as well say.
One thing that always bugged me since I put the diesel rad in the car, was that the top pipe never sat as it should, and sometimes it would weep out of the seal, also my dad said he could make a bracket up to keep it in place, so that it frees the flow of the top rubber hose up and keep the top hose more closer the front of the car.
so after a bit of engineering and tweaking my dad came up with this, while I was checking over the car and sorting out a few bits from the welding in the engine bay.
[Image: 2015-02-06170747_zps54c0046a.jpg]

Today I was going to start wiring in my bit rover accessary, its basically a temp indicator, for out side, Like the Phase 2? and phase3s have. But this goes either red or green, remember this accessary is 20 years old.
Was a rover extra for all rovers, and quite sort after when they pop up!

[Image: 2015-02-07151957_zps5a041106.jpg]
[Image: 2015-02-07152003_zps0228aa65.jpg]
But before I could begin with the installation of the dash part of things, I gave the dash and the inside of the car a good wash down, my mum came out to help me. So that I could move on to sorting the boot out and other odds and sods, so that they can be binned.
After that I made a start on me bit gadget thing.
I had a predrilled hole in switch blank, that I robbed from a R115 a few years ago, that I was going to use for a shift light or a low coolant thing.
[Image: 2015-02-07152016_zpsd6841235.jpg]
the little indicator,
[Image: 2015-02-07152009_zps989d6fa1.jpg]
I had to mod a rubber grommet so that the indicator would fit in the switch blank hole as the hole was bit big.
[Image: 2015-02-07154031_zps81d7bca5.jpg]
took a bit of time and we had this!
[Image: 2015-02-07160257_zps004eca68.jpg]
So some point I will be putting the full works in the car, but the weathers a bit hit and miss, plus I have other bits to sort out sadly,
Coolant, front setup on the car, gauges and sensors.
Nothing much but its a start.
Thanks given by:
last night I decided to bite the bullet and buy the waterless coolant and gauge holder, so that's about it really parts wise, as I need to start adding bits to the car, so that I can get it ready for the mot.
Thanks given by:
I did a bit more today while the weather was great, plus I had two extra parcels come too. which was a bonus,
my pod came for my gauges, so that's still work in progress,
[Image: 2015-02-11143544_zps48bee5bb.jpg]

also I installed the LED thing for my bit Rover extra,

[Image: 2015-02-11144216_zps09dc56ef.jpg]

[Image: 2015-02-11144347_zps58421163.jpg]
just need to wire the rest in to the car, but not enough light yet for that sort of thing, but its a start.
also I thought today was going to be a bastard, as the bracket we did I think was over engineered. I had a small weep still, but after a bit fiddle on with the gasket and pipe, the weep stopped and its spot on, so the bracket was adjusted, to keep the pipe in place.
the car was practically ready to run out of fuel, so a trip to the petrol station and 5 litres later, the car had fuel in, shame diesel was off, as I was going to give the 306 some fuel too.
so with the car on tick over and been revved up a little to 2k, just to see if all is well, and charge the tappets,
The car got happier and less smokey as the poor little fucker hasn't been ran since September!
the temp sat as it should and we were getting hot air in the car, so just needs a mot and a good run,
also me engine bay is back together!
[Image: 2015-02-11165556_zpsde760ef1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Right O, today was a good day, in fact it was a very special one too, As we have hit a massive mile stone in the build,
Since the start of the sleeper project, we had a good base from the gta 16v setup. Which ticked all the right boxes, with only a few things missing.
Today that chapter finally came an end to day, as decided to investigate the nasty knock I was getting on braking hard.
So with the wheel off, and fiddle around. I found that the bottom ball joint was the fault, The one had been supplied with shorter bolts compared to the other side, So what's been happening is its been working its self loose, as they haven't really had the proper length bolts, Which has damaged the ball joint rubber!

[Image: 2015-02-16141156_zps82f30b8c.jpg]

[Image: 2015-02-16141232_zps7051b40f.jpg]

So another mot failure there! FFS! but at least we know what the knocking was. So another one of those will be sorted. My dad said why not just drop the thing through an mot for the sake of it? See if the tester picks up on it,
Not sure If I should that yet, as might aswell sort another one and bung it on rather than piss about.
Anyway, the major mile stone, which really puts this car more head of the game than the old one was!
Is the front dampers!
So the area I need to strip off,
[Image: 2015-02-16141149_zps29d4ce5a.jpg]

this is the top mount, that should have been installed on the gta, But that never happened sadly.

[/url]

[url=http://s26.photobucket.com/user/pugboy360/media/metros/2015-02-16141521_zps12ff1e28.jpg.html][Image: 2015-02-16141521_zps12ff1e28.jpg]

then the parts, I have a extended, flexi hose bolt, that the bottom of the damper sits on. So the old bolts were un done and that one put into place ready for the damper,
[Image: 2015-02-16141629_zps9ad087dd.jpg]
the damper we prepped earlier, the other was done too.

[Image: 2015-02-16141543_zpsc09b8814.jpg]

damper slotted in to place with the bush and washers,
[Image: 2015-02-16144432_zpse0edaaf3.jpg]
  [Image: 2015-02-16144437_zpsd02f1659.jpg]

all installed!
[Image: 2015-02-16150318_zps4a7d7098.jpg]
My dad came out and double checked how tight they were and helped lock down the top nuts.
Then I put the car back together and done the other side,

The strip down again
[Image: 2015-02-16152520_zps822597fe.jpg]

same story,
[Image: 2015-02-16154221_zpsc185ae14.jpg]
[Image: 2015-02-16155039_zps76f3a098.jpg]
All in place
[Image: 2015-02-16155034_zps1c73e1f7.jpg]
again my dad came out and double checked how tight and help lock down the top.

wheels on both sides,

[Image: 2015-02-16160132_zps128ae382.jpg]

Then dropped back on to the bricks, As getting the jack out of this, is a pain! So it was just rolled off the bricks when the jack was removed.
I started the engine again, my dad noticed the weep again from the top hose meets the rad. Not sure if I mentioned that, But while the engine was ticking over, I released the pressure cap and it let a load of air out! done this a few times, and the fan came on, and the weep stopped and that was it! So the coolant system now is fuckin bob on!
My dad said, lets tow the car to a private shopping centre carpark, that was closed. So that I could test the suspension,
I have to tell you lads its a totally different car again! to the one that replaced the GTa! and to last years setup!
It felt more OEM ride wise and seemed really well balanced and not so harsh and jumpy!
So We are so f*cking close now! got to say this!

Got to say this,
THAT IS PERFECTION v

[Image: 2015-02-16164020_zps9838c1f3.jpg]

one more for the crac I think!

[Image: 2015-02-16164417_zps49761022.jpg]

not bad for a 1.1s eh!
Thanks given by:
Well done on getting it all back together and a huge step closer to being back on the road ThumbsUp

(16-02-2015, 06:20 PM)procta Wrote: My dad said, lets tow the car to a private shopping centre carpark, that was closed. So that I could test the suspension

You ought to be a little bit careful with that sort of thing, as whilst it isn't the public road, at least parts of the Road Traffic Act and the requirements that go with it do apply to publicly accessible areas like shopping centres.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2015, 06:32 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Well done on getting it all back together and a huge step closer to being back on the road ThumbsUp

(16-02-2015, 06:20 PM)procta Wrote: My dad said, lets tow the car to a private shopping centre carpark, that was closed. So that I could test the suspension

You ought to be a little bit careful with that sort of thing, as whilst it isn't the public road, at least parts of the Road Traffic Act and the requirements that go with it do apply to publicly accessible areas like shopping centres.

the place we took it too, was owned by Home base that not long closed its doors, so the place is disused now, In fact we saw a couple of people learning to drive around in there, and practicing. I think its the only area now that and silksworth car park, that normally gets used for learners to practice in. 
We weren't there all that long, in fact took us longer to get there, than we were there. Just a case of going around their little car park, testing the corners for any knocks and seeing if all was well. Then hooked it back on the tow bar and we went back. Be lucky if we were there not even 20 mins.
Got some odd looks mind, With the f*cking hell when was the last time you saw one of those!
like say it was a gamble,       
Thanks given by:
just caught up there, proper work happened since I last looked!

well done for sticking at it with the welding etc. Now you must be at least well chuffed that its rot free?

once mot'd is that it mod wise?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2015, 09:18 PM)Piggy Wrote: just caught up there, proper work happened since I last looked!

well done for sticking at it with the welding etc. Now you must be at least well chuffed that its rot free?

once mot'd is that it mod wise?

got to much into it to give up with it piggy, As this car has well over 3k setup on it, to start with!
If you have followed the gta 16v from on .net then you will have seen.

I am well over the moon, this one is very, very close to condition of my 1st car was in practically and nearly just as tidy.
As for mod wise, we have a couple of things to do, Exhaust, gauges, front droop stops, the rover accessory to finish off. spot lamps to be changed over, and maybe a few cosmetic upgrades and changes if that. Then its a case of up enjoying the car. Who knows this could be the final year of the build.
Bar the odd up dates here and there, ie servicing, which I cannot really see anyone really interested in that.
I have thought about stopping posting up dates about it, as I don't think there is any interest if any really.  
Thanks given by:
Before you do anything I'd really get that top rad hose sorted. Its not going to be letting much fluid through at all with the bend in it which is why it keeps blowing past on the hose connection.
You'd be better off using a flexi silicon job that would turn through the radius rather than forcing that one to work - you'll be forever chasing the leak and therefore air in the system. Very expensive with waterless coolant.

This sort of thing:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/sam...tAod3BMAxQ

Cheaper and looks it...

http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/...2117-p.asp
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by: procta
(16-02-2015, 11:24 PM)adam b Wrote: Before you do anything I'd really get that top rad hose sorted. Its not going to be letting much fluid through at all with the bend in it which is why it keeps blowing past on the hose connection.
You'd be better off using a flexi silicon job that would turn through the radius rather than forcing that one to work - you'll be forever chasing the leak and therefore air in the system. Very expensive with waterless coolant.

its worked spot on for the past few years, we sussed out what the faults were. One of the hose clips, went crap. wouldn't nip off properly. Also if the rad hose gets disturbed that can cause it to weep past, where the hose meets the rad. ( drivers side) but what I found with that, was that the hose wasn't in the proper position like it normally is on a derv, I managed to get hold of the missing bracket that keeps the hose in the proper position. Never had any trouble, only when it needed bleeding as metros are bastard to bleed. it would sometimes weep there. I am thinking on reworking the idea again. just need to get hold of a second hand Derv rad to mod the top pipe from and go from there really. Or get another one made up.
Laugh is the top hose is the shape I needed at the time, not even forced into position at all. Might look like it tbh.
In fact I think I may have more coolant in the system, than a standard car, as that rad is f*cking thick and fills the full front end.
seems miles happier with the waterless stuff mind, 

I will keep that in mind! as I am sure it had something like that on, the gta 16v system, as that was converted over to mpi and the top hose was an spi.
Thanks given by:
got this booked in for next month for its mot, a week before the 306 is due to expire, so its going to be a push to see if this passes or fails again.
today I started it up to make sure all was ok, and walked away so it can just tick over. I kept popping back, now and again.
I saw the coolant starting to rise, and yep here we go again, Another massive air lock in the rad! the bottom hose was f*cking icy cold!
So it decided to chuck the coolant again, not much mind. But what was starting to be a bit worrying was my mpi fan system kicked in, which is Ecu controlled. So that tells me there is a fault somewhere, or a major air lock, or the temp got the point where the ecu got worried. But after a bit of a faff on, squeezing pipes and let it have a good burp. It seems ok, for now. As the SPi system kicked in normal and the temp settled down. Topped it back up with coolant.
With me been squeezing the pipes and with them been that hot, I think it let some of the coolant by pass the heater matrix! As I had a tiny bit in the cab. After a bit of a check over, all seems well. So tomorrow I will drop some petrol back in it, and have another tick over. ( So it can pass the tick over test)
Thanks given by:
Hey bud, been a while since I logged on but I have been looking through your updates on the project.

What a transformation.  The welding looks top notch!!  you must be chuffed to bits Smile

Excellent progress, as usual you dont mess around.
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 08:37 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: Hey bud, been a while since I logged on but I have been looking through your updates on the project.

What a transformation.  The welding looks top notch!!  you must be chuffed to bits Smile

Excellent progress, as usual you dont mess around.

yeah as soon as we got the shell welded, the hammer was down. I am really looking forward to having this back on the road again! After all its now a new car and a different setup ( gti) so I can take corners better ( I hope)
still got some teething trouble I think with the coolant side of things, But hopefully we will iron those out again. Also I may start looking back into upgrades too. Got some ideas up my sleeve, but those will have to wait.
Thanks given by:
I did the timing belt and water pump on my clio and bleeding the coolant system was a bitch.

Had to let it burp out coolant as I don't have any bleed screws and the heater matrix is higher than the ra

Got my gazebo back up and reinforced so will have more progress on my car soon
Thanks given by:
(26-02-2015, 09:44 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: I did the timing belt and water pump on my clio and bleeding the coolant system was a bitch.

Had to let it burp out coolant as I don't have any bleed screws and the heater matrix is higher than the ra

Got my gazebo back up and reinforced so will have more progress on my car soon

good stuff! id have love to have set a gazebo up for this, but where the car is parked, is well tricky, plus we would get some prat set it on fire.
Monday we will see i will try and put some fuel in for another start up and tick over. Do a last min pre mot check, ready for Thursday and we should be laughing.
Thanks given by:
Done a Pre mot check to see if all is ok, and so far all good. Did another tick over session, and I have still got air in the system. So just let it burp it self and my dad then gave it some beans to get what ever remaining air was left in the system. All is ok now, just have to take it for a run tomorrow before the mot and make sure all is ok, and everything is cleared up for the mot tomorrow.
So the big one is will it pass or fail again?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi, building VNT'd 205 Sleeper in Chesterfield... 399road 145 70,307 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Chris_90
  Citroen Dispatch Sleeper Kind of.. Will 2 1,927 15-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  205 dt sleeper, engine in :) Paul_13 171 54,627 20-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Paul_13