A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END
(19-11-2014, 05:00 PM)procta Wrote: I have just ordered off the two panels I need and I may have the budget to get this welded and sorted, just have to wait and see,
How much did the panels cost bud? where did they come from. Glad u aint lost hope Smile
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2014, 06:58 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: This is an ace looking little car

Top work Smile

very quick little car too! same era as your rover is these are.

(19-11-2014, 07:14 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote:
(19-11-2014, 05:00 PM)procta Wrote: I have just ordered off the two panels I need and I may have the budget to get this welded and sorted, just have to wait and see,
How much did the panels cost bud? where did they come from. Glad u aint lost hope Smile

I bought the panels from Car Body Panels 4U
came to about £71 quid posted, just have to wait and see when they come.
laugh was the outer sill was cheaper than the arch panel.
going to be about £400 quid to get the full works patched back up sadly, The external part of the car is the cost sadly. Then its a case of shoving the thing through an mot and then tax.
Thanks given by: Paul_13
(19-11-2014, 07:14 PM)procta Wrote:
(19-11-2014, 06:58 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: This is an ace looking little car

Top work Smile

very quick little car too! same era as your rover is these are.

(19-11-2014, 07:14 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote:

I bought the panels from Car Body Panels 4U
came to about £71 quid posted, just have to wait and see when they come.
laugh was the outer sill was cheaper than the arch panel.
going to be about £400 quid to get the full works patched back up sadly, The external part of the car is the cost sadly. Then its a case of shoving the thing through an mot and then tax.
The joys mate. Seems like you got a good deal on the panels though. Im in the same state with my 6 as you can probably gather when it comes to cost. Never even had the bitch running so who know what else went wrong. £240 odd quid tax for me.

The bizzare thing is, my insurance on the 6 is 50 quid cheaper per annum than my daily Clio which has a blazing 80 BHP lol work that one out....

But when you drive that thing, it must put a smile on your face and reward you with the feeling that this is well worth it!! the life mate Smile
Thanks given by:
this thing is a few quid cheaper than my HDI and its about 4 times faster! just have to see about the panels, as they may say they are out of stock etc,
It does! poor chavs don't know what hits them haha!
Thanks given by:
I take it you have to strengthen various bits of the car for that kind of power?
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2014, 07:02 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: I take it you have to strengthen various bits of the car for that kind of power?

not really, they take the power really well. just upgrade the car with decent tyres, brakes and suspension and your a way. But these are very odd ball to setup suspension wise, as they don't have the proper suspension. These use hydrolastic, which doesn't give you the balance like the 306 etc, you have to either go one way or the other.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, will have to look up this hydrolastic suspension. Never heard of it bud.
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2014, 07:13 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: Hmm, will have to look up this hydrolastic suspension. Never heard of it bud.

very old system tbh, its going well back in the day of the 1950s I think, Mgf was the last car to use it after the metro bit the dust.
You have to have a special pump to top the suspensions up. My front end I think needs a top up as its dropping a little.
Thanks given by:
my god, sounds very different to what im used to.
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2014, 07:25 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: my god, sounds very different to what im used to.

yeah it will be, a lot of garages wont touch the suspension side of it sadly, but a part from that, these are very, very easy to work on.
great fun to drive, just a like a proper mini but bigger, My mate got the same buzz out it, like he did with his proper mini.
Thanks given by:
You would love the old mint condition yellow Austin metro that bobs around the road up here. Its slammed on its arse and its the first one I have seen since I was 10 lol.

Will be checking out your 306 next Wink
Thanks given by:
I wonder if the Austin one is on the metro owners forum, feel free to check out the HDi, I haven't done anything really to it.
Thanks given by:
started this up again and moved it a bit, I have a clunking noise when hitting the brakes, so either something has come slack or my dads f*cked a ball joint! as he decided to gave the wishbone hell, ( he couldn't get the bolt through, until I came out and found out that the ball joint is too far up the hub,
also a few months ago, I won a rover extra, its a temperature indicator, rovers version of what the 306 Phase 3 has. I was half temped to wire that in while the car is in bits. but we will see.
Thanks given by:
All the big Citroens still use hydroelastic, but its an active system, so no external pump top up business.
They have hydraulic power brakes too, no brake servo, lush!

Does it go through a few wishbones/ball joints with the extra power?
[Image: signaturerrf_zps1c82612b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2014, 03:08 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: All the big Citroens still use hydroelastic, but its an active system, so no external pump top up business.

Funny how they added that kind of setup to a supermini. I remember the old Citroen BX's having such a setup.

How is it going with the welding Procta. If I ever bump in to the guy with the Austin, I will ask him if he is on the owners club.

What gearbox do you use for all that power?
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2014, 03:08 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: All the big Citroens still use hydroelastic, but its an active system, so no external pump top up business.

nope not at all, as its the same tech as the mgf/ elise. The car just behaves like a normal metro, The vvc block is the same size physically as the 1.4 16v unit that's in yours. just the head is a little bit wider ( not much mind)
The early metros( mk1s) didn't have servo assisted brakes, but still had brake discs at the front.

(23-11-2014, 10:29 AM)blaze_the_6 Wrote:

Funny how they added that kind of setup to a supermini. I remember the old Citroen BX's having such a setup.

How is it going with the welding Procta. If I ever bump in to the guy with the Austin, I will ask him if he is on the owners club.

What gearbox do you use for all that power?

We are no further forward tbh with the welding, id have to buy a new welder to sort the floors out, i am going to just get the car welded tbh, saves me the hassle at the min.
The gearbox is an mgf none vvc unit, as its got better ratios, so i can ride the power, ( basically the same as a metro gti unit ratio wise)
some say the standard metro box can take the power of a vvc unit, others say it will chew it right up. The metro cup lads run the standard units anyway and they don't have a bother at all.
But for this conversion you run a miss match of parts if i used the metro box, so i have decided to keep it all from the same car practically, less of a f*ck on for parts sourcing and trouble shooting.
Thanks given by:
looks like I am going to have a right f*ck on getting panels for this car now, As the sill panel is no longer produced!
f*cking joke!
I may have to get hold a second hand sill for this car, got my eye on two, one from over a broad and another from a MG metro turbo shell, that's been given the elbow, due to space.
Thanks given by:
Could you get one fabricated by a metal working shop? No idea how much that'd cost though.
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2014, 06:08 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Could you get one fabricated by a metal working shop? No idea how much that'd cost though.

we don't have any metal workshops in sunderland anymore, all folded a few years ago sadly.
We have f*ck all up here now! I think we have only one main exhaust centre too, that is practically fully booked all the time.
Shows you how bad the north east sector is tbh.
Thanks given by:
http://www.autopanels-castleford.co.uk

Have you checked them out mate? I noticed they do Rover 100 panels so maybe you could inquire
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2014, 09:59 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: http://www.autopanels-castleford.co.uk

Have you checked them out mate? I noticed they do Rover 100 panels so maybe you could inquire

I will give them a try, running out of options sadly.
Thanks given by:
any luck bud?
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2014, 08:55 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: any luck bud?

sadly not with the company you gave me, but I am trying another one, so waiting on a phone call tomorrow, to see if they have one, if not, then the sill will have to be just patched sadly,
pisses me right off, as the car is insured but I cannot drive it! Poor little fucker is just sitting there like.
I was going to switch the coolant over to Waterless, but the way the weather is now. To bloody cold and too wet to do anything! The place hasn't been dry yet for nearly 3 weeks!
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2014, 02:19 PM)procta Wrote:

sadly not with the company you gave me, but I am trying another one, so waiting on a phone call tomorrow, to see if they have one, if not, then the sill will have to be just patched sadly,
pisses me right off, as the car is insured but I cannot drive it! Poor little fucker is just sitting there like.
I was going to switch the coolant over to Waterless, but the way the weather is now. To bloody cold and too wet to do anything! The place hasn't been dry yet for nearly 3 weeks!

Sorry to hear that mate, can the Rover 100 sills be modified to fit?
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2014, 08:52 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote:
(04-12-2014, 02:19 PM)procta Wrote:

Sorry to hear that mate, can the Rover 100 sills be modified to fit?

same car pal, like the phase 1 to phase2 306.
I may have sorted a panel from over a broad, but its going to be pretty costly. Talking about 100 euros posted.
Thanks given by:
You know, I thought they were, excuse my lack of knowledge of your PR.

Worth getting even at that price to keep the ole girl going.

Did you phone up the company I posted you, as they advertised rover 100 sills as I did a lil google for ya.

Not saying you cant google, just felt sorry for you and saw the rover 100 replacement sills and thought they might be good.

Pissed off with companies advertising shit that is NLA Angry
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2014, 09:21 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: You know, I thought they were, excuse my lack of knowledge of your PR.

Worth getting even at that price to keep the ole girl going.

Did you phone up the company I posted you, as they advertised rover 100 sills as I did a lil google for ya.

Not saying you cant google, just felt sorry for you and saw the rover 100 replacement sills and thought they might be good.

Pissed off with companies advertising shit that is NLA Angry

it does piss me off too! the madding thing, I ordered off a website that "had them in stock" so I will be belling them and telling them to cancel the order once, I have sorted the sill out,
Thanks given by:
Total bull shit mate! When you get the sill sorted, get the pics up Wink
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2014, 09:42 PM)blaze_the_6 Wrote: Total bull shit mate! When you get the sill sorted, get the pics up Wink

I will do pal, but the car wont be up and running, well welded this side of xmas. As I am pushed for time now, as the xmas rotas will be up shorty.
Thanks given by:
sorted a sill for this, going to be posted out on Monday, its coming from over a broad! 88 quid, so we just need the rear arch and I am practically good to go tbh.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi, building VNT'd 205 Sleeper in Chesterfield... 399road 145 70,299 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Chris_90
  Citroen Dispatch Sleeper Kind of.. Will 2 1,926 15-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  205 dt sleeper, engine in :) Paul_13 171 54,617 20-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Paul_13