A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Street Sleeper is reborn! THE END
gave it a little tidy up today, after the trip and took it for a quick blast, and yeah it needs an oil change badly now! the engines tapping its fuckin head off now when its warm.
so looks like we are going for a service next payday, been a year mind since the oil change.
Thanks given by:
That oil didnt last long?
Have you tied the wynns hydraulica tappet treatment? I've had a 50/50 success ate with it
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
looking ace fella!

whats with those MASSIVE OVERSIZED wind deflectors though!? I seen smaller ones on HGVs!

and whens that rust on the arches guna be sorted? :-P

looking ace under the bonnet mind!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2015, 06:23 AM)lolsteve Wrote: That oil didnt last long?
Have you tied the wynns hydraulica tappet treatment? I've had a 50/50 success ate with it

i will look at that, tbh steve its been in well over a year now and i have done about 3k with it now, and its been in a year, plus with it been a special type of oil, i dont think it has the same life as the standard stuff either.
am thinking i might just go back to the 10w/40 stuff, with the service, as so i can put some cash towards the exhaust, as i think thats now bit the dust too! 
I have read about that stuff too steve, i did think about putting that stuff in aswell. I will get some stop smoke stuff too, as we are getting a little smokey too when start up, The mot tester mention that too, Due to the car not getting used that much i think, it needs a good flush and the full works adding in.

(21-05-2015, 06:56 AM)Piggy Wrote: looking ace fella!

whats with those MASSIVE OVERSIZED wind deflectors though!? I seen smaller ones on HGVs!

and whens that rust on the arches guna be sorted? :-P

looking ace under the bonnet mind!
Thanks piggy! 
those massive oversided wind deflectors are old school 80s ones!  Quite a few people sparked interest in buying a pair like mine. Infact i think they maybe better than the 306s ones tbh.

you should have saw some of the engine bays piggy! you could eat your dinner off them!

[Image: DSC00984_zpsjxfxfs6h.jpg]
[Image: DSC00994_zpswg7l7718.jpg]
you got to say thats pure art!
As for the rust on this piggy, just budget now pal, as i have the old GTa bumpers to go on. As these black ones are knackered sadly!
After the service i will get my 3 gauges wired up and working again.
Thanks given by:
That's how an engine bay should be! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2015, 03:48 PM)Toms306 Wrote: That's how an engine bay should be!  Big Grin

I am trying to go that way tom, keeping things nice and neat under there.
Thanks given by:
We put stop smoke in ladysteves and it made it even smokeyer. Think the idea is that it just thickens the oil so it cant leak, not ideal for vvc no?

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Those engine bays are a MILLION times better than when they left the factory lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(22-05-2015, 06:50 AM)lolsteve Wrote: We put stop smoke in ladysteves and it made it even smokeyer. Think the idea is that it just thickens the oil so it cant leak, not ideal for vvc no?

I have spoken to one of the lads who races metros, on what oil to run, and he has told me not to put anything in to it. So I am just going to give it a good oil change, plugs and a fuel filter and check over the air filter.

(22-05-2015, 07:05 AM)Piggy Wrote: Those engine bays are a MILLION times better than when they left the factory lol

The cars them selves piggy were a work of art too! every nut, bolt was either renewed or chromed up!

have a look at this one piggy, this is a K series turbo gti.

[Image: 2015-05-17%2014.54.32_zpsjmnwpvvd.jpg]

(22-05-2015, 06:50 AM)lolsteve Wrote: We put stop smoke in ladysteves and it made it even smokeyer. Think the idea is that it just thickens the oil so it cant leak, not ideal for vvc no?

I have spoken to one of the lads who races metros, on what oil to run, and he has told me not to put anything in to it. So I am just going to give it a good oil change, plugs and a fuel filter and check over the air filter.

(22-05-2015, 07:05 AM)Piggy Wrote: Those engine bays are a MILLION times better than when they left the factory lol

The cars them selves piggy were a work of art too! every nut, bolt was either renewed or chromed up!

have a look at this one piggy, this is a K series turbo gti.

[Image: 2015-05-17%2014.54.32_zpsjmnwpvvd.jpg]
Thanks given by:
well I have decided enough is enough, and I have bought a piper exhaust for this car, So another change coming up and a service next payday. Not to mention my new front spots coming up.
Thanks given by:
well today I spent a little bit of cash, as it was tapping its head off,
gave it a good service, oil change, oil filter and a fuel filter, What a f*ck on the fuel filter is! I think I have f*cked the nut on the main fuel line, with the bastard not winding in!! so its either going to be a replacement fuel line ( if I can get one) or another nut to go on the end, Which I can see that been a f*ck on aswell!
What should have been a 5 min job, turned out to be nearly 2 hrs! trying to stop the fucker leaking!
[Image: 2015-05-30%2016.16.06_zpsh1cknh2t.jpg]
found out why it was taping its head off too, I think its burning oil on start up, looks like the Oil rings maybe starting to fail on it! Again another engine starts do fail! We haven't even done 6K with this unit! and I have had it 5 years!
Also a year tomorrow to for this project too!
Thanks given by:
Well even if it is the oil rings, just replace them? It doesn't need a new engine!!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Most of the time on the k series it's valve stem seals rather than oil rings.
That being said it's not exactly hard to rebiuld a k series
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2015, 10:30 AM)Niall Wrote: Well even if it is the oil rings, just replace them? It doesn't need a new engine!!

(31-05-2015, 04:57 PM)306Dan Wrote: Most of the time on the k series it's valve stem seals rather than oil rings.

I can get the bits to rebuilt the engine, that's not a problem, it might be due to the fact its not been ran. As I found it seems ok when been ran.
Thanks given by:
Them fuel filters can be a right pain, found mine had been cross threaded as well with a "rover" branded filter so there was no chance of getting it off. Had to have new fuel line from rimmberbros

when you say fail do you mean theyre broken? or gunked up?

Thanks given by:
(31-05-2015, 10:30 AM)Niall Wrote: Well even if it is the oil rings, just replace them? It doesn't need a new engine!!

(31-05-2015, 04:57 PM)306Dan Wrote: Most of the time on the k series it's valve stem seals rather than oil rings.

(01-06-2015, 06:23 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Them fuel filters can be a right pain, found mine had been cross threaded as well with a "rover" branded filter so there was no chance of getting it off. Had to have new fuel line from rimmberbros

when you say fail do you mean theyre broken? or gunked up?

I suspect the oil seals maybe either gunked up, as it doesn't do it when its warm, just smokes when started from cold, still checking, it over still, reason for the tapping is the little cow only a 1L left in!  so I suspect it was smoking the racing OIL on start up. its not doing it as bad, but we will see.
the fuel filters are a bitch! I don't even think I can get new fuel lines for this now,
Thanks given by:
If theyre gunked you could try the ATF fluid trick?

Thanks given by:
I will see how it goes, as it started ok with out any smoke earlier on there, that was when it was cold.

also tonight there, I have now switched from the pattern bin copy exhaust, to a nice stainless steel piper unit,
Got double check all is ok, as i might have a blow here and there, We had to make up a little extension pipe to bride a 6" gap, between the flexi and centre section, that's due to the subframe setup i am using.
i still got the quiet purr, under 4k after that it really wakes up, none of this chav warp i used to have, just that sports car warp after 4k rpm, the engine even revs more smoother too, in fact i think it runs better too.
only thing that cut everything short, was the f*cking weather turned! we ended up getting wind and fuckin rain!
got fuckin soaked while i was putting my little pipe extension. i had to tighten up under there while the ground started to flood in sections!
i will try and get some photos later on, once the weather stops been a rent boy.
Thanks given by:
after work, I decided to get the car up in the air again and double check what, why and when with the exhaust system,
I double checked our bit extension pipe and the clamps, gave them a good tighten and some more exhaust sealant and we are laughing! 

Check out the old shitty back box ( which was  a OEM pattern copy) this never really fitted well at all, due to the shape of the back box system.

[Image: 2015-06-01%2014.45.47_zpskeu6ezhn.jpg]

the piper unit now installed and sorted!

[Image: 2015-06-02%2011.45.41_zpsbfhwq4zu.jpg]

the sound is very, very additive mind! sounds just like a Janspeed system! The car reminds me of the Racing metro gtis I saw at Mallory and sliverstone!
revs a lot easier and smoother,
going to revert back to the gti droplinks again, as with the suspension been raised again, I am getting nasty knocks, from the rear over speed bumps.
Thanks given by:
Get a video up fool !

Thanks given by:
(03-06-2015, 08:37 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Get a video up fool !

all in good time you posh rover lover!
Thanks given by:
guess what has happened! the alternator I bought 2 years ago, the bearing has decided to fail! metal filings and a nasty electrical smell are flying up! the car now sounds like its got a super charger on. So another great job to do before anything else now!
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2015, 04:57 PM)procta Wrote: guess what has happened! the alternator I bought 2 years ago, the bearing has decided to fail! metal filings and a nasty electrical smell are flying up! the car now sounds like its got a super charger on. So another great job to do before anything else now!

2 years isn't too bad tbh lol
Thanks given by:
Was it a proper branded one or some cheap Chinese crap lol?
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2015, 05:29 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote:
(05-06-2015, 04:57 PM)procta Wrote: guess what has happened!  the alternator I bought 2 years ago, the bearing has decided to fail! metal filings and a nasty electrical smell are flying up! the car now sounds like its got a super charger on. So another great job to do before anything else now!

2 years isn't too bad tbh lol
 seb, I haven't really did any miles with it, be lucky if it did 2 half k with it on.
(05-06-2015, 05:30 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Was it a proper branded one or some cheap Chinese crap lol?

f*ck knows on that one tom, it was what the motors discount could get at the time.

I can tell you this lads, its going to be a lady garden of a job to do!
Thanks given by:
priced a replacement unit, down at my local motors factor, we are looking close to 200 quid!! f*ck that! I researched again on ebay and I can pick up the self and same alternator 95Amp for 70 odd quid posted! that's new/recon! plus I would have to replace the belt too, which is about 10 quid for a proper OEM one. I can have the full works sorted for 100 quid. got to watch me budget though, as I owe, 200 for my trip to gaydon and cash for the exhaust.
Thanks given by:
well today, I have been a busy little bastard, as soon as I got in from work, I knackered now, been up since 5 am.
Anyway, my alternator and fan belt came in the post today!

[Image: 2015-06-13%2015.13.32_zps0obqzhkm.jpg]
[Image: 2015-06-13%2015.13.51_zpszet9wyec.jpg]
also I decided it was time to fit my alternator tensioner, that I bought, a few months ago.

going to be a right f*ck on this is!

[Image: 2015-06-13%2015.14.11_zpsxum8pamg.jpg]
this what I had to do get that bastard out!

[Image: 2015-06-13%2017.04.28_zps6cfaajt1.jpg]
[Image: 2015-06-13%2017.26.09_zpsmtxg222e.jpg]
[Image: 2015-06-13%2017.26.15_zpstwdbisrm.jpg]

the old tensioner and the new one upgraded one, the new one saves the f*ck on of having to put the alternator up and then tighten the bastard!
[Image: 2015-06-13%2017.07.30_zpstdcajwj5.jpg]
the thing out
[Image: 2015-06-13%2017.04.33_zps1cus49z3.jpg]

new one in place,
[Image: 2015-06-13%2018.54.25_zps9bkuworb.jpg]
and the car is back together!
[Image: 2015-06-13%2018.54.20_zpskalz36w7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I had a look over on .net, and I have just realised, this time last year, we were building this! how it has changed since then! from a basic 1.1s model, to a full blown gti setup under skin! Got to say this project has really gone very, very well!
After a year of owner ship, I have to say, that this car is worlds a part from the car it replaced last year, This one is better in every way.
Thanks given by:
Still a tin can though Wink needs some weight/safety features

Thanks given by:
(16-06-2015, 07:29 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Still a tin can though Wink needs some weight/safety features

this tin can is faster than the posh rovers Tongue 
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi, building VNT'd 205 Sleeper in Chesterfield... 399road 145 70,091 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Chris_90
  Citroen Dispatch Sleeper Kind of.. Will 2 1,922 15-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  205 dt sleeper, engine in :) Paul_13 171 54,497 20-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Paul_13