Strange Whine!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Whine!?
Evening,

So, obviously you can see it's not a 306, same 2.0 HDi90 RHY engine though.

Wtf is this whine? It drives fine (on a private road lol as it has no MOT/tax atm) but makes a hell of a whine...sounds like a supercharger tbh lol.

http://youtu.be/c0r0v4M8x28

I'm arguing with myself over what it is...

Turbo? But it boosts well and doesn't smoke at all.
Alternator? But it slows with the engine, whereas the whine 'hangs' for a bit.
PAS pump? Same as alternator, it should slow quickly.
AC pump when free-spinning? Don't think so as I turn the AC on half way through the vid and it makes no difference.

Car has done 85k miles, but been sitting for months due to a starting fault (which I have now diagnosed, thanks Cully Wink )

So what do you reckon the whine is?

Tom
Thanks given by:
Check for a woman in the engine bay, they make a rev related whine...
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
A woman? What would one of those look like? Confused
Thanks given by:
No-one any idea??

Only idea I've had from the 206 forum is crank pulley but that cant whine surely? Just knocks afaik?
Thanks given by:
idler pulleys gone dry for the aux setup? sounds similar to what I had on my hdi
Thanks given by:
Did that hang after the revs had dropped though? I can't see how anything aux related wouldn't slow immediately as the revs drop off?
Thanks given by:
Listening to it again, does seem strange that it does that.

May have to pop the aux belt off and just have a feel/spin of the pulleys/pas/alternator and see if you can tell if one component isn't quite right.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that's the next thing to try I think.
Thanks given by:
Is it that a dturbo 206 would you be interested in selling?
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Drop the aux belt off and see if it stops. Failing that, leave it until it causes an issue?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(31-05-2014, 12:06 AM)Jtrigga Wrote: Is it that a dturbo 206 would you be interested in selling?

It's a GLX... So gets more spec than the dturbo lol.
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2014, 06:58 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Drop the aux belt off and see if it stops. Failing that, leave it until it causes an issue?

Yes removing the aux belt is the next thing to do, been slightly side tracked by the stupid drum brakes on it. Dodgy

Access is even worse than the 306 for getting at the belt though lol, not only is it tight, they've also put the ECU loom and some coolant pipes right where you need the spanner on the sprung adjuster! Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Turns out its easier to get at the sprung tensioner from underneath. Wink

Found out it's the alternator making the noise, it appears to have some sort of one way clutch so it only spins one way, allowing it to slow down much slower than the engine itself. Now not sure if its a fault or if its just normal alternator noise that would usually be covered by engine noise! Confused
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2014, 11:14 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Turns out its easier to get at the sprung tensioner from underneath. Wink

Found out it's the alternator making the noise, it appears to have some sort of one way clutch so it only spins one way, allowing it to slow down much slower than the engine itself. Now not sure if its a fault or if its just normal alternator noise that would usually be covered by engine noise! Confused

Yeah, was just about to suggest that..

Quite common now, it's to stop the belt flapping - as it's the magnets going past the windings that effectively make it shake since it's a 6 pole - you get 6 shakes per rotation, so essentially it decouples it and allows free play.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ah, makes sense, good idea really. Would you say the noise is normal for one then?
Thanks given by:
No, that sounds excessively loud.

My V50 has one, doesn't make that racket - sounds like the bearings shagged in it.

[Image: 0b594421-4dd7-451a-aead-0c8b10f844b9.jpg]

That's how they're put together if anyone's interested.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Oh right, fair enough. The 206 isn't turning out to be the bargain I expected lol.
Thanks given by:
Must be the straight cut gears Tongue
Thanks given by:
Prob the pulley, mine was a bit noisy but replaced it and the aux belt
Thanks given by:
New pulleys arent to dear, but you need a special kit to take them of.
Thanks given by:
Some of the late HDi's had those fancy alternators... Very different whine to usual.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Bit of a thread revival, I don't even own the car anymore. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Yeah, i know....new user making their way to 20 posts. Wink

I've got it covered, seeing as i'm the only Mod online at the moment! Should be getting ready to go out tonight! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 06:08 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Yeah, i know....new user making their way to 20 posts. Wink

I've got it covered, seeing as i'm the only Mod thats been online in the past week! Should be getting ready to go out tonight! lol

EFA Wink
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Oh i don't know, Fooby has been around an awful lot the last couple of days....kinda unnerving actually! Was beginning to wonder if he'd lost his job or something! lol
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2014, 06:31 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Oh i don't know, Fooby has been around an awful lot the last couple of days....kinda unnerving actually! Was beginning to wonder if he'd lost his job or something! lol

Nah. He just remembered the other day that he owns a forum lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
lmao
Thanks given by: