ICV issue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICV issue
Just fit another ICV to my car and now it idles at 4K rpm, any idea how to fix this?
Thanks given by:
Disconnect battery Ave leave it for half hour, should reset its self
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2014, 12:32 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Disconnect battery Ave leave it for half hour, should reset its self

Thanks mate! I'll try that Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2014, 12:32 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Disconnect battery Ave leave it for half hour, should reset its self

Just tried it and it's still idling at 4K :/
Thanks given by:
Is the replacement ICV known good and working?

Check that you've not created a big airleak somewhere and if not, try re-fitting the original ICV and seeing if that works better.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2014, 03:36 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Is the replacement ICV known good and working?

Check that you've not created a big airleak somewhere and if not, try re-fitting the original ICV and seeing if that works better.

Yeah I was told it was working and I'm not sure how I can tell if there's an air leak? If I can't get it to work then I'm going to just put the old one back in
Thanks given by:
half an hour isn't really long enough for the ecu memory to reset, leave it off overnight imo,

was it a 2nd hand one or new? if it's 2nd hand it'd need at least a new o-ring for it to seal
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2014, 01:10 PM)John1.4 Wrote: half an hour isn't really long enough for the ecu memory to reset, leave it off overnight imo,

was it a 2nd hand one or new? if it's 2nd hand it'd need at least a new o-ring for it to seal

It's second hand and yeah I've put a new O ring on it, so overnight will reset it then? Would it not damage anything electrical wise
Thanks given by:
nah it'll be fine, it's what i do whenever i replace stuff like that
Thanks given by:
The ICV does a self test every time you switch on the ignition.

ECU "reset" is not required.

Your ICV is dead, the wrong type? (they're all the same though Tongue ) or you've got an air leak.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Hmm so many mixed messages :/ I just disconnected the battery so I'll reconnect it tomorrow and if that doesn't work then I'll just put my old one back on and wait till after FCS to get a brand new one
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2014, 04:58 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Hmm so many mixed messages :/ I just disconnected the battery so I'll reconnect it tomorrow and if that doesn't work then I'll just put my old one back on and wait till after FCS to get a brand new one
this is off another site
How to reset Peugeot 306 ECU
Resetting the ECU is a good place to start if you are experiencing strange idle, running or stalling problems. Over time the 306 ECU picks up data from the sensors and 'learns' or adapts to the conditions. By resetting the ECU you will return it to the default settings and remove any 'incorrect adaptations' the ECU has made.

The most common use for this is to reset the Idle Control Valve (ICV) to its default position.

How to reset Peugeot 306 ECU:
1. If you have a standard radio make sure you have the code.
2. Open bonnet and disconnect negative (black) battery terminal.
3. Wait for 10 minutes (maybe time for a really swift cup of tea?)
4. Reconnect battery.
5. Insert keys and turn ignition to second click (all the lights in the dash will light up).
6. Wait 15 seconds or until fuel pump stops priming.
7. Start car
8. Take for a drive covering as many engine loads / rev ranges as possible.
Thanks given by:
the ecu does do a self test yes, but as parts deteriorate it adjusts to the new values for sensors over time, the calibration from those 'self tests' is held in a type of flash memory, which needs to be cleared after new parts are fitted which don't 'match' with the stored calibrations - the ecu assumes the expected values will remain the same, and doesn't know what to set the icv position to (for example) hence the high idle

the icv's are not all the same as above, there are 3 distinct types for the TU series, with different bolt patterns, and iirc one has a slightly larger diameter
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2014, 05:15 PM)vincent1 Wrote:
(09-05-2014, 04:58 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Hmm so many mixed messages :/ I just disconnected the battery so I'll reconnect it tomorrow and if that doesn't work then I'll just put my old one back on and wait till after FCS to get a brand new one
this is off another site
How to reset Peugeot 306 ECU
Resetting the ECU is a good place to start if you are experiencing strange idle, running or stalling problems. Over time the 306 ECU picks up data from the sensors and 'learns' or adapts to the conditions. By resetting the ECU you will return it to the default settings and remove any 'incorrect adaptations' the ECU has made.

The most common use for this is to reset the Idle Control Valve (ICV) to its default position.

How to reset Peugeot 306 ECU:
1. If you have a standard radio make sure you have the code.
2. Open bonnet and disconnect negative (black) battery terminal.
3. Wait for 10 minutes (maybe time for a really swift cup of tea?)
4. Reconnect battery.
5. Insert keys and turn ignition to second click (all the lights in the dash will light up).
6. Wait 15 seconds or until fuel pump stops priming.
7. Start car
8. Take for a drive covering as many engine loads / rev ranges as possible.

Thanks mate that's really helpful Smile
Thanks given by:
beaten to it Tongue i must write really slowly
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2014, 05:23 PM)John1.4 Wrote: the ecu does do a self test yes, but as parts deteriorate it adjusts to the new values for sensors over time, the calibration from those 'self tests' is held in a type of flash memory, which needs to be cleared after new parts are fitted which don't 'match' with the stored calibrations - the ecu assumes the expected values will remain the same, and doesn't know what to set the icv position to (for example) hence the high idle

the icv's are not all the same as above, there are 3 distinct types for the TU series, with different bolt patterns, and iirc one has a slightly larger diameter

Yeah the one I got I believe is from a 206 but fits fine so I'll leave the battery disconnected till tomorrow and see if that fixes it. If not I'll try what Vincent1 said and reset the ECU

Just tried what vincent1 said and it settled my idle down to about 1100rpm but when I touch the throttle it revs from like 2k - 3k by itself. I only took it round a car park for about a minute because I don't have insurance so couldn't take it on the road. Does it just need more driving around to settle it completely?
Thanks given by:
Yes but the ECU isn't stupid, John Wink

The ECU knows to continue closing the ICV when the revs are over the idle threshold and the TPS registers a closed throttle position Smile So it'll start and rev high (as it's not as expected due to different sensor) but it should correct is very quickly.
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 09:56 AM)Martin306 Wrote: Yes but the ECU isn't stupid, John Wink

The ECU knows to continue closing the ICV when the revs are over the idle threshold and the TPS registers a closed throttle position Smile So it'll start and rev high (as it's not as expected due to different sensor) but it should correct is very quickly.

Yeah I drove for like 1 minute and it brought the revs down so I think when I can drive it properly it will adjust to what It needs to be Smile I hope anyway
Thanks given by:
(09-05-2014, 04:21 PM)Martin306 Wrote: The ICV does a self test every time you switch on the ignition.

Your ICV is dead, the wrong type? (they're all the same though Tongue ) or you've got an air leak.

This. A ECU reset is not required!

Its always worth unscrewing the plunger from the ICV and giving it all a bloody good clean up with some brake cleaner. Sometimes it can bring them back to life but 9/10, it will only last for a few weeks or months then go back to its old ways.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 10:23 AM)Niall Wrote:
(09-05-2014, 04:21 PM)Martin306 Wrote: The ICV does a self test every time you switch on the ignition.

Its always worth unscrewing the plunger from the ICV and giving it all a bloody good clean up with some brake cleaner. Sometimes it can bring them back to life but 9/10, it will only last for a few weeks or months then go back to its old ways.

I get insured in a couple of weeks so I'll take it for a drive and see if that settles it, I only put it in yesterday and drove for 1 minute in a car park so I don't think it had time to set itself up
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 10:36 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 10:23 AM)Niall Wrote:

I get insured in a couple of weeks so I'll take it for a drive and see if that settles it, I only put it in yesterday and drove for 1 minute in a car park so I don't think it had time to set itself up

It should only take a few seconds mate. The only way the ECU knows where the plunger is is by the MAP sensor value. As soon as it detects that its too high for idle, it will push the plunger out but if the ICV won't work because its fooked, instead of cutting the fuel and stalling the car, it just allows it to idle silly high or not at all lol.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 10:46 AM)Niall Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 10:36 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 10:23 AM)Niall Wrote: This. A ECU reset is not required!

It should only take a few seconds mate. The only way the ECU knows where the plunger is is by the MAP sensor value. As soon as it detects that its too high for idle, it will push the plunger out but if the ICV won't work because its fooked, instead of cutting the fuel and stalling the car, it just allows it to idle silly high or not at all lol.

Ah right I may have to invest in a brand new one, could it be anything else or is this definitely the ICV
Thanks given by:
What else did you touch? Only other thing causing a high idle like that would be a air leak between the throttle body and head. Must admit even for a ICV issue, 4k really does sound high!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 11:41 AM)Niall Wrote: What else did you touch? Only other thing causing a high idle like that would be a air leak between the throttle body and head. Must admit even for a ICV issue, 4k really does sound high!

I just took the icv out and replaced it with the other one. I'll have to start it in a bit and see if it's all settled
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 12:27 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 11:41 AM)Niall Wrote: What else did you touch? Only other thing causing a high idle like that would be a air leak between the throttle body and head. Must admit even for a ICV issue, 4k really does sound high!

I just took the icv out and replaced it with the other one. I'll have to start it in a bit and see if it's all settled

why did you decide to change it in the first place? was it reving high then as niall says it could be a air leak if it was high before and this icv has still not solved it.
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 12:35 PM)vincent1 Wrote:
(10-05-2014, 12:27 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

why did you decide to change it in the first place? was it reving high then as niall says it could be a air leak if it was high before and this icv has still not solved it.

The one that was in before was causing the engine to fluctuate in revs quite a lot so I thought I'd replace it. How do I sort out the air leak?
Thanks given by:
i would say try to clean your old and new icv first as niall suggest they both could be faulty you may be trying to find a air leak that doesnt exist niall might know how to clean them ive only ever replaced one with a brand new one from ebay the person had no issues after i fitted it for him.
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2014, 12:39 PM)vincent1 Wrote: i would say try to clean your old and new icv first as niall suggest they both could be faulty you may be trying to find a air leak that doesnt exist niall might know how to clean them ive only ever replaced one with a brand new one from ebay the person had no issues after i fitted it for him.

I'll give them a clean Smile did you buy the cheap ones on eBay or was it a magnetti one? Because if it was the cheap one then I wouldn't have to spend like £50 on one haha
Thanks given by:
it was a cheap one they brought im sure i never ordered it i just got the phone call to go and fit it to be honest i prefer diesel cars but hey a few friends have petrols so help them out when i can.
Thanks given by:
I've seen nothing but problems from ebay ICVs. Last about a year tops IF they work properly in the first place.

I had one on the XSi (2.0 16v PH3) and it lasted 2 months...

ended up going to the scrappy and finding a genuine one, I think it was a Saxo I nicked it from. 1.6 16v TU engine.
Thanks given by: