Windscreens removable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windscreens removable?
Question in the Subject really. Are 306 screens removable and able to be replaced?

Mine's cracked and was told "306 windscreens are bonded and won't get a second hand screen so you might have to ring insurance"

True or False?
Thanks given by:
If I was you id get it replaced professionally by Auto glass or one of the other known windscreen companies
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
True- they are bonded.

False- you can't get a second hand one.

If it wasn't bonded you could do it yourself. Most insurance only charge a small fee for replacement. Mine was £90 :-)
Thanks given by:
Tbh I have removed a few screens now on breakers Albeit they didnt sell..
20-30 minutes to remove one then bond it back in, I would if my screen was knackered.
Chris
Thanks given by:
I've never seen a good used screen tbh! Seems a lot of effort to go to for one with scratches and chips....and which will more than likely leak when you don't bond it back properly. lol

If you've got windscreen cover, better to do that imo. Smile
Thanks given by:
It only cost me 60 for a new one Smile
Thanks given by:
Inlove Cheers guys. I did think it sounded a bit daft that they can't be replaced. I know someone who works at National Windscreens so he'd of been the one to replace it. But I would need to get the screen myself and he'd charge me mates rates. But beings majority of people are paying <£100 for a new one, I might just to do that. I don't think I have WS Cover on my insurance as they're robbing Censored 's as it is haha

You guys who have already had it done, tell me more... Insurance? Private? DIY? I don't want to be spending too much as I'm looking to sell the car in a few weeks but obviously I'd want a professional finish not some cowboy job.
Thanks given by:
I went through insurance as It did not effect my no claims Smile as I said before was only £60
You could try and add windscreen cover to your policy well see how much it costs then leave it a week and clam
Thanks given by:
If your fully comp is normally on the policy. Is 50-120 the range for excess
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't be changing the screen my self. You can remove them from a old car your self in one piece and you can buy the kit to fit them again but considering they actually form a structural part of the car, i wouldn't want to and by the time you have the kit, you may as well pay your insurance the £75ish to have someone come and change it. Make sure you specify you want a genuine one. If your car is a pH3, the genuine ones are heat reflective.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Niall you can get non genuine athermal windscreens. Masters and ladl sell them lol
Thanks given by:
(30-04-2014, 06:48 PM)Kwik Wrote: Niall you can get non genuine athermal windscreens. Masters and ladl sell them lol

You can but most of the pattern ones which the big guys use are the cheapest possible which aren't. I would specify genuine just because I'm picky like that though lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Aslong as you say you got a blue windscreen with a rain sensor that can only be athermal lol. Clear or green are ph1 and 2
Thanks given by: