Focarse TDCi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focarse TDCi
Righto, as you all know my hunt for a mint phase 3 HDi was an epic failure, with so few still about (I pressume most are broken?) I ended up buying a bloody Ford of all things.

It's grey. It's an exciting grey though; Magnum Grey to be specific. So that's a little bit cool?

This example is particularly mint. The 'Sport' spec TDCi is actually pretty hard to come by, because they're basically an ST170 with a diesel engine (they also lose the climate control - boo). This 2 owner car from new was first owned by a Ford mechanic and then by a guy who kept it in a dry warm garage, so it's pretty mint underneath even. Bodywork is sweet, with only one scratch I can find on it and a smudge of lacquer peal on the front bumper (bummer).

[Image: New4.jpg]

[Image: New6.jpg]

[Image: New3.jpg]

[Image: New5.jpg]

[Image: New1.jpg]

[Image: New7.jpg]

Plans are-

Keep it simple. Bought this to save money so don't want to spend what I save on modifying it - that defeats the point!
- Lower on a set of springs
- ST170 headlights
- Maybe obtain a nicer front upper grille
- Put my double-din Headunit in
- Hook up the OEM trip computer (big job this as the retro-fit plugs aren't present on my car!)
- Fit the factory spoiler which my car lacks

Thoughts / comments welcome.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Unlucky, what more can I say, they are horrid to drive, nasty to look at and tend to fall apart/rust for fun!

oh and BTW, wrong forum, this is a 306 club Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I don't feel unlucky Mark?!

It's driving position is tall but everything is well within reach, the cabin is big and practical whilst not using the best of materials, the handling is fantastic and the engine is adequate. It's a better steer than a 306 I will admit, with a keener turn in and less body roll.

Oh, and the Air-con works Wink
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
c.a.r. Wrote:I don't feel unlucky Mark?!

It's driving position is tall but everything is well within reach, the cabin is big and practical whilst not using the best of materials, the handling is fantastic and the engine is adequate. It's a better steer than a 306 I will admit, with a keener turn in and less body roll.

Oh, and the Air-con works Wink

the 1.8 Zetec focus my mrs had (same shape as yours) was and absolute heap of shite! The gearbox was horrid, it rusted for fun, the clutch was nasty to use, interior is made from the cheapest plastic they could find, the brakes were crap the steering was too light with no feel at all and the bottom rotted out of the sump! (how something full of oil can rot is beyond me) Oh and it was as slow as a really slow thing, I would quite honestly choose walking over driving it!

So ummm yeah, IMO, great car, recommend one to anybody :roll: lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Hmm, sounds like you got a bad egg Marky...

I test drove 3 before this one, but none of the pre-facelift (which occurred in 2002 I think).

The facelift models have better sound-deadening, more equipment and are not anywhere near as prone to rust. Certainly mine is spotless, the only bit of rust I could find was a bit of surface on the shock bodies, but the springs themselves were spotless.

Gearbox is crap, I'll concede. It's not fun to use in anger but I haven't miss-shifted it yet, it just feels a bit vague. Steering however is in a different league, I think it has the right amount of weighting and feedback from the front. Obviously first experiences count for a lot, but I was seriously impressed by this Focus, definitely a match for the MK4 Golf that I tested.
Thanks given by:
I hate the driving position in Focii but other than that they don't offend me too much! I'd kill for an ST170 estate but they're like hens teeth unfortunately!

Looks like a decent motor (and yes I hate to say it as your comments do tend to piss me off most of the time)

(to be fair you've got better since you've changed forums)
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
I've heard these took the crown from the 306 for the best handling hatch of the era? What you think?
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Driven a few focus's including st170's or st130's as I feel they should be called and I have to say they were very uninspiring!! The rs I drove felt like a completely different car but with the same shite driving position, decent cars though, just one for a to b rather than driving as it were, would have one for the misses
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
looks nice, never driven one though
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
c.a.r. Wrote:It's a better steer than a 306 I will admit, with a keener turn in and less body roll.

You wanted to have that 306 looked at then..... Something not right there ninja
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:
c.a.r. Wrote:It's a better steer than a 306 I will admit, with a keener turn in and less body roll.

You wanted to have that 306 looked at then..... Something not right there ninja

There must have been something wrong with it, it crashed its self into a barrier lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
It did! My GTi6 was a worse steer than my XS I had before it, I think it may have had something to do with it being a CAT D when I bought it (never buying a write-off again) but yea it really snapped at me that day Sad

Getting used to chugging along at sensible speeds now rather than caning it along in the fast lane hassling BMWs like I was in the Celica lol

Might need a remap though, the power is a bit, ahem, non-existant..
Thanks given by:
Should be fun! looks very very tidy!
Thanks given by:
c.a.r. Wrote:but I was seriously impressed by this Focus, definitely a match for the MK4 Golf that I tested.

You're comparing handling with one of the heaviest most comfortable cars in the same class lmao Mk4s don't handle, they just wallow and roll aaround as standard! lol
Thanks given by:
I done something, oops. Meant to leave the car standard but just can't help it.

[Image: d075fda8.jpg]

ST170 headlights with 'de-tango' mod. Cost? Nothing. Straight swap-job.
Thanks given by:
Nope, hasn't worked, it still looks like a focus Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Those lights are pretty good imo.............shame about the rest of it though. Wink
Thanks given by:
Haha, looks better than a Golf / Bora though Tom Wink

Missing climate control. Missing 190bhp. Not missing the trips to the petrol station Smile
Thanks given by:
c.a.r. Wrote:Haha, looks better than a Golf / Bora though Tom Wink

Missing climate control. Missing 190bhp. Not missing the trips to the petrol station Smile

Actually the focus in standard shape I think is worse than a golf lol....not so sure on Bora though. RS looks cool though. Cool lol

You mean you can't remap it to 190bhp? Oh so its not as good as the golf then. Wink And it doesn't have the electronic climate control of the golf either...pfft.... lmao

I know it was probably much cheaper though! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Golfs are one of the ugliest cars in their class, I think focii actually have a good shape, just ruined by some features like the bumpers and the windows.
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:You're comparing handling with one of the heaviest most comfortable cars in the same class lmao Mk4s don't handle, they just wallow and roll aaround as standard! lol

It's weird that, my Octavia handles really well, shitloads of grip and very little roll. It's on standard springs but it has some pretty hefty looking Bilstein dampers, might be worth you finding a set? It's partially poly bushed as well Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:You're comparing handling with one of the heaviest most comfortable cars in the same class lmao Mk4s don't handle, they just wallow and roll aaround as standard! lol

It's weird that, my Octavia handles really well, shitloads of grip and very little roll. It's on standard springs but it has some pretty hefty looking Bilstein dampers, might be worth you finding a set? It's partially poly bushed as well Wink

The golf has blisteins as standard mate, or are yours aftermarket? Infact the vrs probably does have larger ones to go with the more powerful engine.

I'll be looking for some lowering stuff soon anyway. Wink
Thanks given by:
get out.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Portuguese

[Image: IMG_0672.jpg]
[Image: P1000638.JPG]

Same car Smile
[Image: sign.png]
↑ Project ↑
Thanks given by:
C.a.r what is this like to drive, I've always discounted fords because they rust when they see a spot of rain lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
I dont like them, or VWs, and also thought i was on a Peugeot 306 forum, 205s,106s,309s etc are fine. But this?
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:You mean you can't remap it to 190bhp? Oh so its not as good as the golf then. Wink And it doesn't have the electronic climate control of the golf either...pfft.... lmao

I know it was probably much cheaper though! Big Grin

We cant get 190bhp out of ours either Tom lmao

Car does look like its in excellent condition chris. Im not a fan of the swoopy dash though.
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:I dont like them, or VWs, and also thought i was on a Peugeot 306 forum, 205s,106s,309s etc are fine. But this?

Every car owner in the world feels the need to be part of a 306 owners community these days for some reason....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
As above^

I mean i dont mind, and i dare say many others dont mind seeing project threads from other marques. But then to come onto a 306 forum and slag Peugeots/306s off? Then moan that they get a negative reaction?
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Erm, I've never slagged off the 306?

I only registered here because I was looking for another 306, a diesel, but couldn't find one at the time my Celica sold. The Focus is an alternative, if you don't like it, don't open the thread, damnit!

Regardless...Devils_fuel - they are fantastic to drive, the seat position is quite high and you feel a bit at odds with the gearshift location (seems far away and has really long throw) but the chassis itself is superb. The Focus took the crown from Peugeot and has held it until even today for the best handling hatch and it is really quite satisfying to drive even in this form. Mine is a 'Sport' spec (Christ knows how they justify that moniker) which means it has suspension from a Zetec model and 17" wheels. It does understeer, like all FWDs, but like the old Pugs it's really keen to turn-in initially and the steering is very responsive.

Wiring the new stereo in this coming weekend. Struggling to find a ST170 rear spoiler though, little bit put off going for a fiberglass copy from eBay too.
Thanks given by: