some good news, more bad news...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
some good news, more bad news...
Exclamation 
ok, where to start...

got a semi-ECU controlled Bosch pump, wanted to see what it deed...
well, it worked! did run for 20 minutes or so, rev'd fine, didn't made a test run,
it was half past 4 in the morning...! stopped the car, started again, stopped, started enz...

next morning: injectors didn't get any diesel anymore!
couldn't get the pump working anymore, maybe it was a start-block system or what you call it in English...
didn't want to wait anymore, so rebuild my old Lucas pump to the engine...

the car starts, runs fine, less like a tractor like it did with the ECU Bosch...
BUT! the engine SUCKS the air in, you can see the hoses shrinking!
soo..... got no pressure from the turbo, so I think...
but in front of the filter: it sucks the living shit...

did a few test runs, couldn't get the pressure over 0,6/0,7 bar (8,7/10,2 psi),
behind the car it smokes like freaking hell came down, so: enough diesel, right?

setup: Lucas tuned the Jammapic way, with standard Lucas injectors...
standard TD04 from Subaru Impreza, standard wastegate pod,
got the pod connected to the inlet of the turbo, like my old KKK had...
don't have any intercoolers connected, thats the next step, when this is sorted out...

[Image: WP_20140421_22_38_34_Pro.jpg]

[Image: WP_20140420_22_04_09_Pro.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Did u have the boost compensator disconnected, the little hose that usually rund from intercooler to fuel pump, had that blow off on mine and caused me to drop from 24psi down to 10-12
Thanks given by:
that's still on, but not on the intercooler anymore...

its now connected directly in front of my Xantia inlet manifold that hose on the picture below.
what you can't see, is on the end of the hose, I've got my T-pipe to my boost gauge, than it goes to the pump...
so it's the same as on the original way, but now directly on my inlet hose...

my mate is going to try disconnect the wastegate pod, because I've seen pictures here on the forum that had die wastegate welded shut on a TD04.

when driving (pedal to the metal), you can hear the turbo spooling, but then looses pressure,
because the wastegate opens... it does this several times trough the revs...
that isn't supposed to happen, right?
[Image: 20a5249a-7039-46ed-bf15-e66619567eed.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have you run the lucas pump with the td04 on before , sounds either like wastegate creep or the lucas not being man enough to keep up the fueling for the size of turbo or even air ingress
Thanks given by:
well, it's my first time EVERYTHING... hahaha...!

but serious: with original KKK turbo I got 1.2/1.3 bar (17.4/18.9 psi) from this Lucas pump,
and it's still on the same tune as I had before...

technical the only difference now is the TD04 and Xantia inlet-mani...
I'm sure that driving without the original intercooler could make such a difference...

besides, that wouldn't explain the low pressure from the turbo, right? :/
Thanks given by:
leak on inlet mani or wastegate as you say maybe? . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Has the wastegate actuator been adjusted at all, if not then it may just be set at standard boost for whatever car it was on before so could explain the ten psi
Thanks given by:
will take another 5th look at the inlet system, should be good, but thats what I thought it could be the trouble maker...

AH! actuator! that's the word!
well, the seller said it came of a standard Subaru Impreza, that's a 2.0 turbo 217bhp, right?
don't know why, but seemed to me there isn't a lot to adjust on it, but that's just me...

where did I have a picture...

here it is: can adjust a little bit I think, on the wastegate valve side... side of the actuator isn't anything to adjust...
first I want to take a look of disconnecting the whole wastegate, seems legit...

someone a better idea...?
[Image: WP_20140226_09_11_51_Pro.jpg]

how is my English btw, is it understandable enough?
Thanks given by:
You are doing ok mate Wink
Thanks given by:
thanks mate, I'm trying my best...!

speaking English is soooooo much easier than typing it... hahaha
Thanks given by:
If the actuator hasnt been adjusted its set for standard boost which is around 6-10psi , the arm needs to be wound in or shortened so it takes more boost pressure for the actuator to open the wastegate, theres a little circlip holding the arm on the wastegate, remive this and wind the arm in a few threads, then try it at that, it should up the boost, and easier thing to do rather than having to keep going under the car to adjust woul be to install a manual boost controller, you want a dawes type ball and spring one and some vaccume hose run one hose from the turbo housing to controller then from controller to actuator , that way u can have the controller in an easy to get to place in the engine bay
Thanks given by:
gonna check this after dinner, hopefully I've got some better news tomorrow...!
Thanks given by:
You speak better English than some of the English people on here Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Got some news to report...

I start the car, the turbo spools up, than it gets a single 'hiccups' (is that the word?) and than the pressure is gone, the turbo doesn't spools anymore, can stop the axle with my bare finger...

the turbo died on me, didn't he...

if that's the case, I'm gonna eat my own freaking cap...!!!
Thanks given by:
the 'hiccups' at 0:10 seconds...

Thanks given by:
WTF? Never hear a turbo make that noise before!

I'd say dead turbo though, try the old one back on?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
weird sound, ain't it... Tongue I know, haven't heard anything like this before either...!

yah, dead Turbo, I agree, can't fit the old one anymore, got a plate welded on the exhaustmani,
the bend behind the turbo is welded to a plate to, so the TD04 can be replaced by any other TD04,
but not anything else anymore...

haven't got a spare exhaustmani and bend, so its a TD04 or nothing at this point... :/
Thanks given by:
You answered this problem in your first post. Never ever should it be so restrictive that the pipes should shrink, thats just a restriction right there giving you the boost issues, I suspect as many people have mentioned its a problem with your turbo, or intake if you have one.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yah, you are right, it was the turbo...

got it out of the car yesterday, found that is was the outlet scoop that touched the inside of the turbo,
so it was scraping to the inside of the turbo, because the axle had to much room on it...

can't understand why, when I put the turbo on, it had sooooooo little room on the axle,
now you can move the axle over a mm...

must be the oil lines...

found another TD04 turbo, waiting on response of the seller...
Thanks given by:
Guaranteed that's the inlet piping causing that...

The "boost dropping through the RPMs" is the pipes collapsing and restricting the engine, eventually the pipe relieves pressure and then instantly gets sucked back in again.

The reason that the turbos bearings have been damaged so quickly is that there would be an incredible amount of strain on the thurst bearing on one side, which has caused the bearings to fail prematurely.

Get decent inlet piping on the turbo and try again.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
The pressure sucking in all that piping, and then making it collapse, and the sudden stall of air directly relates to the pressure on the thrust bearing. All turbos are designed in equilibrium so the axial tension on the shaft should be within a tolerance and designed to be close to equilibrium (both wheels try to pull away from the turbo housing but the shaft keeps them in). If you have a sudden restriction on one side it massively upsets that balance in the turbo and causes much quicker failure because that equilibrium isn't maintained and its all transferred onto the turbo bushes. This is why turbo stalling/chatter kills turbos too, alongside damaging the compressor wheel fins. Regardless of application, moving something very fast and then stopping it quickly will cause damage, this is exactly what happens with turbo stall, the same as throwing an egg at the wall. Grrr I miss mechanics Sad
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ok, that's some difficult English shit for me right there...

the pipe from my air filter (a panty from girlfriend) to the turbo is a single plastic tube from a Xantia,
the tubing from the Xantia engine was wider than that of the standard 306 I had on my car...

the tubing from turbo to inlet (haven't got the intercooler on yet) is a mix of thick rubber, steal and rubber hoses...
so where in this system is the collapsing taking place?
my boost drop take place AFTER my turbo died on me...

I have to wait on Wednesday, the seller of the new TD04 isn't home right now...
could make the trip to the south of Holland for another TD04, but rather wait...
Petrol is more expensive here than it is in England... Tongue
Thanks given by:
I've ran the Xantia Intake piping before and it is quite small really.

You want the biggest you can physically fit, feeding the turbo.
Thanks given by:
right...

out with the Xantia Intake piping it is...!
Thanks given by:
got some more news...!

well, got myself another TD04, made the necessary changes to the turbo, a brand new freakingly expensive oil-line,
some water hoses to connect the water supply and return on the turbo (just in case my cooldown periode is a little bit short...),

GOT IT WORKING AGAIN...!!!

ain't got halve the pressure I should have I think, got it past 13psi, and that's around 4500rpm... Tongue
gonna take another look at my inlet hoses, maybe it can't get enough air through it...

remember, I'm running with a Lucas, NOT a Bosch yet!
should still make around 17/18psi, just as I did with the standard KKK turbo, right...?!?
Thanks given by:
no mate, how i understand it, it's a bigger turbo, so with the same fuel settings as the kkk it will make less pressure but shift more air than the kkk at the same psi, get the fuel turned up, also is the wastegate welded?
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
did the fuel upgrade on the Lucas from jammapic's description, got to a hold because if I turned the inside screw a few mm more, the car wouldn't start anymore.
turned the screw on the outside of the pump all the way in, resulted in less boost pressure... outside screw turned a few ways out, got 1.3 bar (17psi) out of the KKK...

so: will try again, going to turn up the fuel again, wanna want to know if the Lucas can give me some more!

wastegate isn't welded, but if I'm honest, the actuator isn't connected to the turbo hose anymore...
I've got a hose from the turbo to the top-side of the engine and than back to the actuator, this to put a bleed-valve somewhere I could easily get to...
to get more boost (so I thought), I cut the hose, so the actuator wouldn't get pressed air from the turbo, so it wouldn't open...
but didn't make ANY difference... Tongue

are you trying to tell my that my gasses still escape trough my wastegate...?!?!?!?

I know, I know, I have to get myself a Bosch, but that's easier said than done here in Holland...!
I'm not trying to get 180bph with the Lucas, just wanna drive again, till I do have a Bosch on my lap... Tongue
its bin 3 weeks already, driving around in a 306 1.6 8v petrol, and i'm bleeding from my wallet...!
(petrol is 40 cents more expensive than diesel is out here...)
Thanks given by:
yes, your wastegate is opening my Dutch friend lol, and you seriously need a Bosch pump on there, we have a saying over her, "pissing in the wind" this is what you are doing Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(02-05-2014, 11:36 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: "pissing in the wind" this is what you are doing Big Grin

jah, well, THAT doesn't need any translation... Tongue

but how am I supposed to keep the wastegate shut...?!?
Thanks given by:
Weld it, or buy a stronger wastegate/spring are your only options really
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by: