HDI MPG. What steps should I take to increase MPG?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI MPG. What steps should I take to increase MPG?
The more I hear about maps, the more I realise the map Steve gave me for £20 in return for some photoshopping was a pretty good deal Tongue
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
So when all is said and done what mpg are we realistically achieving? (Anyone actually worked it out not just guessed?) 45? 50?

Anyone notice worse mpg in an estate due to weight etc ?

Can we get a comparison between standard and stage 1 mpg figs?
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
I work out my mpg anally every fill up. Tongue

Between 50-55mpg in any 306 HDi, fully loaded estate, standard estate with broken MAF, heavy stage 1 map hatch, shit stage 1 hatch, ect etc, doesn't matter what you do to them, I cant get better or worse lol!

For comparison to give an idea of my driving style - averaged 60mpg in a mapped PD Golf, 55mpg in a standard PD130 Golf, 34mpg in a 1.8 306, 48mpg in a Vectra CDTi150, 45mpg in a 1.4 306.
Thanks given by:
Around 55 to 60mpg so far,mix of going to work and Motorway, but as said doing 70 or above makes little difference, still don;t like it thou, give me a Petrol any day!!
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
50mpg daily on twenty minute trips, up to 65mpg on a motorway run. It can do more, but those are realistic, easily achievable figures for a healthy car.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That's better than most more modern diesels! How does a stage 2 effect mpg? Better? Worse?
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Depends how they're driven, but for the most part you're dead right. All the emissions crap harms mpg no end, as do the lardy arses most new cars suffer from.

Most people report an improvement in economy with a stage 2, at least when they're not using the power. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I don't think it is better than newer cars of equivalent size/power tbh.

It's about the same, despite a load of heavy spec, electrical refinement options, safety equipment and of course the DPF ruining any fun....I mean how are you supposed to pass cyclists with a DPF...they wont understand why riding 3 abreast on a single carriage with few overtaking places is annoying without a face full of coal. To keep the same mpg on a standard map with a load of MPG-reducing items isn't bad at all lol!

It only seems worse because most people don't compare the two...for example if Poodle bought a 1.6TDi Golf...yeah I know it'll never happen lol, but I'd bet he'd get better mpg in that than the HDi. Equally there are people on here that get shocking mpg from HDi's as well, cully is one, and Warlord over on the other side struggles to get 45mpg on a motorway commute!

End of the day it's down to your driving style, when and where you drive much more than the engine size or remap... Smile
Thanks given by:
I disagree, to see the same mpg from an engine enjoying 15 years of further technology including, but not limited to, vnt turbos, drastically lowered cr, pre-hp fuel regulation and variable valve technology is pretty bloody appalling. Especially when compared to what manufacturers have achieved with petrol engines in a similar timeframe. But you know all that already, it just leaves no room for pedantry and where's the fun in that. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turbo Temperature Increase? JTaylor2005 9 1,941 21-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Last Post: toseland