HDI MPG. What steps should I take to increase MPG?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI MPG. What steps should I take to increase MPG?
My year 2000 hdi with 150k is getting about 40 mpg with extremely easy driving. And I really do mean extremely easy - rarely even seeing 2000rpm (still on R plates so I don't really mind cruising at 45-50mph).

Firstly is this bad or is it normal enough? I'm pretty disappoint with those figures. Was expecting more like 50mpg+ with driving this easy.

I have a stage 1 map by Mr whippy and back box replaced with straight pipe. Also serviced 1,000 miles ago.

I'd really like higher MPG so have any of you got any tips?

(I hear that removing the engine increases MPG dramatically)
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2014, 09:34 AM)Joe306 Wrote: (I hear that removing the engine increases MPG dramatically)

I think it would. Flintstones stylee FTW.

Could your EGR be stuck open?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Drive a little faster, stop labouring the engine, lighter throttle.

Avoid town driving.
Thanks given by:
My fuel efficient driving technique has been touching the throttle as lightly as possible and fast gear changes keeping revs very low
Thanks given by:
Rev it a bit more, the low rpm isnt efficient for accelerating. Also give it some shit once in a while, it clears it out and makes it run better. I try and keep mine just over 2k rpm when cruising. Motorway thats like 65, so not too slow but steady.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
There's your problem then. Firm throttle when accelerating, keep revs ABOVE 1500rpm unless cruising.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(11-04-2014, 10:16 AM)Poodle Wrote: There's your problem then. Firm throttle when accelerating, keep revs ABOVE 1500rpm unless cruising.

and fit some carpet to your front splitter...eh poodle Wink
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Hahaha yeah that too!

Pe02 has explained it better than me there. Something else that helps is planning ahead as far as possible - dont watch the car in front, watch the one ten cars ahead. Leave loads of room to the next vehicle, use engine braking as much as possible, dont accelerate until you're clear to continue, etc etc. Hth. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Use the lowest gear possible....thats true so long as the engine is not labouring.
Sounds like you are labouring it

Check your tyre pressures and make sure brakes are free and not binding.

Check your AC is not on and you aint carrying unessersary weight.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
DO watch the car in front if you, but watch the cars infront of them aswell. Apply some common sense to that one.

Its all about keeping momentum and being a smooth driver for mpg.

Im a supporter of 2 stroke oil in with my fuel, engine sounds smoother and im fairly certain got more efficient when i started doing it.

Having an engine that can breath easy will help, make sure you air box is cleaned out, maybe a panel filter in there. Regular servicing is key, keep your engine as healthy as possible.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Pretty much all been covered, but more detail is needed as to your driving, it's less about revs, more about load. On a motorway journey I can get over 70MPG, around town I struggle to get to 50MPG, regardless of how I drive. That's also due to the journeys being short, and the engine not getting up to temperature where it is more efficient.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
It all makes no difference anyway...

I've been driving mine like an absolute cock trying to clear it out and find some power, done a few backroad blasts mainly in 2nd/3rd for half hour at a time plus a little more than 69mph on the dually...topped up today, done 54mpg just like the last time I topped up! lol That's on a 273k mile engine as well....
Thanks given by:
Yeah, echoing mostly from what others have said... The way I've found to get good efficiency out diesels is to allow them to rev slightly, but don't labour the engine... Sitting with the engine going into antistall to tug you along is still increasing the injection quantity.

Remember *power* is made of two components, RPMs and Torque - if that confuses you, then think about smashing a nail with a small hammer, lots of times a second, or twatting it with a massive sledgehammer once or twice - that's the difference between torque and RPM..

You use fuel to make torque, and technically injecting more frequently (i.e. more RPMs) will use less fuel than injecting lots, less frequently... These engines were designed to be at their most effective at using the least amount of fuel to generate the most power at around 2000rpm... Sitting at 1000rpm asking the engine to tug round the car isn't an efficient way of doing it.

From my experience, let the engine just spin slightly faster, don't press your foot any harder, if anything almost release your foot as revs increase... Don't let the engine "chug" at low RPMs, that's the ECU correcting thinking you're about to stall, uses loads of fuel...

EDIT: Say you use 10 units of fuel at 1200rpm to make 30hp, but you use 4 units of fuel at 2400rpm to make 30hp... You can see that although, yes, you're spinning the engine twice as fast, you're using under half the amount of fuel...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
^^^
#Endofthread

Thanks given by:
40 quid saw me just last 492miles, that's half motorway and half driving the thought the centre of Chesterfield and Sheffield, motorway speed around 70-*10 spending on time traffic ect

Just past*
Using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Increasing MPG to me = saving money. Find or make your own bio diesel, apply the above techniques and you will save plenty. Smile
Thanks given by:
The above post, Ruans post before that and you also need to lose weight

Thanks given by:
I drove 90 miles the other day in my Diesel 306 Pug and used an 1/8 of a tank. Around 54 mpg @ an average speed of 55mph. Really impressed and much better than the Ford 'Fail' I drove before....
Thanks given by:
Lol, don't take any notice of the gauge. I've done 352 miles on a quarter of a tank so far...that's 100ish mpg. lol

I'm just waiting for the needle to suddenly drop to empty unexpectedly anytime now lol. Confused
Thanks given by:
Hahahaha, too right....many a time I have gone out for a long drive, come back with the needle hardly shifting, then out the next day to town and suddenly find it's dropped... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
thanks guys for all the tips. to sum up then drive at around 2000rpm, get to desired speed quickly, don't labour the engine and light throttle when cruising.

cheers folks
Thanks given by:
That and plan ahead. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If you got a stage one map of pro steve or someone it would make a diference. Mine went up a good bit.

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
Whats the price of the stage 1 map??
Thanks given by:
(21-04-2014, 04:42 PM)Damo Wrote: Whats the price of the stage 1 map??

£100
Thanks given by:
You can get them cheaper that 100 mate pm jammapic hes just done me one amd I cant recommend him enough
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks
Thanks given by:
Ive done 470miles and the gauge is half a tank, thats driving to work and back everyday, 12 miles, and occasionally I take it for a good drive somewhere, 30-50 mile
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Steve used to be 75 for just the file. His maps are very good. Heard jammapic is very good too. Def worth gettin a stage one anyway, transforms the way the car drives.

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
Ahh nice one, when im not skint ill get it done
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turbo Temperature Increase? JTaylor2005 9 1,933 21-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Last Post: toseland