Peugeot 405 rear axle replacement advice needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 405 rear axle replacement advice needed
I've decided to start a new thread on this as it's being more problematic than I thought.

So far I've got my estate with f****d suspension, and intend to replace with axle from my old 405 saloon. Both same mk, Peugeot tell me they are a straight swap, except shock absorbers are rated different (obviously not an issue I can swap them)

Both cars are non abs with drum brakes, I'm intending to keep brakes on axles rather than swap them over (tbh the saloon brakes are probably in better nick anyway, given less than half the mileage and that car was fully serviced)

Progress so far, both cars have exhaust, fuel filler pipe and handbrake cables disconnected / removed. Problem I've now come across is the saloon just has pipes going to brakes, the estate has a "load sensitive rear brake pressure regulating valve". According to Haynes, as the saloon doesn't have this, the equivalent is built into the wheel cylinders. I need a way around this difference. I don't care if I still have it after or not.

Next, the axle assembly is attached by 2 bolts at the front of the assembly, which I can see and isn't a problem, but the rear ones, I'll wrote quote from Haynes "using a long reach splined adapter, unscrew the suspension assembly rear securing bolts, accessible through holes in the suspension assembly side members". I have seen these and they're very small holes. Main question (forgive my ignorance) what is a long reach splined adapter? And what am I expecting in the holes? Normal bolts? Allen key type bolts?

I'm at my wits end with it, p****d off that I should be able to do this. Any answers / tips / pointers will be greatly appreciated. Anyone that's local (Preston) that would be willing to have a look are more than welcome. I'm a bit skint at the moment as just bought the wife her car, but I can supply infinite bacon butties and brews!
Thanks given by:
you need a long round section T50 torx bit, as I said in your other thread.

or undo the two 13mm bolts.

why start two threads? all the info you needed was in the other one :p
Thanks given by:
Must have missed the torx thing. I started this thread as the other was messy, call it thread ocd. I've made decent progress tonight. Ended up cutting brake pipes as unions seized to buggery, and got the axle free from the chassis. Turns out the fuel tank does need lowering as it's in the way. Just. Looking at the bolts, they're very rusty so I'm a bit concerned about that, but it's now too dark so it's a job for tomorrow.

All that's left now is lower tank on both cars and drop axles. Then refitting can begin. I'll worry about the cut brake pipes when everything else is back together. Happy with where I'm upto ish. Although was hoping to have axles fitted by today, they should be tomorrow
Thanks given by:
More fun and games. Estate fuel tank mounting bolts, one is seized solid so can't lower tank. Decided to get the donor able off first instead as getting wound up. Turns out when I'm undoing the front mounting bolts, the threaded bit is turning with it. Not a normal nut and bolt so can't just throw another socket on other end. This has resulted in a metal bar meeting the bodywork of the donor car in an aggressive manner. That didn't work either. I'm stumped. So close but still so f*****g far. Any ideas please
Thanks given by:
undo the two torx bolts as I said...

NOT the big nut.

there's one in front and one behind each mounting plate.
Thanks given by:
They're rusted to much. Thinking of giving up tbh. Weigh them in and buy something else
Thanks given by:
drill the heads off then.
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2014, 08:02 PM)firemoth Wrote: They're rusted to much. Thinking of giving up tbh. Weigh them in and buy something else

I would just scrap them with all the hassle. Then get a decent peugeot and check its ok and you wont have big problems like this.
Thanks given by:
nothing wrong with a good 405, you just need to remember they are over 20 years old now, its inevitable you will find rusty bolts, would be a waste to just scrap a good workhorse.
Thanks given by:
I know but I don't have the time to sort it and need it replaced. That's why I'm offering them out
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rear ARB bush size needed. weka 5 3,346 05-04-2020, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear stub axle sizes weka 2 2,102 26-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Last Post: weka
  rear axle joe67 4 2,673 25-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Last Post: carlukepeugeot