HDi non-starter (makes a change in this section ;) )

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDi non-starter (makes a change in this section ;) )
Right,

The estate still wont start and I'm pretty confused now.

Fault on PP2K is cam/crank sync.

It was jumping between yes and no on the live data for cam/crank sync when revved to about 3.5k where it juddered like mad.

Now doesn't start at all, same fault on PP2k.

Fitted known working cam and crank sensors and no difference.

Any ideas as to what to try next?

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Timing

I did have this fault on mine when i went to see steve for my remap the other day. But live data just said yes as it didnt cause any further problems. Not much help i know.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The timing must be out, or possibly something simpler like a wiring fault?
If it wasn't running nice I would image the timing belt has jumped a notch
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
It was running perfect for a very brief time between messing about and throwing codes....even revved to the redline and sat there happy enough so the timing is ok.

It's looking like a wiring fault, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start with it. Did check the ECU plug for water ingress but that's fine. Also left the bonnet open in the sun all day to dry out any water that might've been there, to no avail.

Is there anything specific I can check with PP to pinpoint the problem? All I've done is a global test and fault read so far tbh. And watched live engine data.

First night (wouldn't start until I cleared codes, then this) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9OKJnz5Ogg

Next morning - fine, though a little smoke blowing through the window lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lEA0vPW...e=youtu.be

Left it idling while I walked to the garage, it cut out and hasn't started since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemy-bYc...e=youtu.be

Weird! Confused
Thanks given by:
Check the resistance between the pins on the crank and cam to the corresponding pins on the ECU.

JamesG had an issue with a cable on the back end of the cam sensor plug that caused a starting issue on his a couple of years back.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, that sounds difficult lol, how would I know which pins are which? And what the resistance should be?
Thanks given by:
Resistance should be very low, if it's high then there could be a bad connection somewhere.

I found today the the main engine loom plug on my hatchback doesn't screw to the body, very strange. I took it off today to check if there were any corrosion in there.

The pins the ecu end should be in the haynes manual, shit is it a three plug ecu on that? If it is I think Cully did a thread in the guides section on the pin outs on the three plug unit.
Thanks given by:
Ah yeah, makes sense about the resistance!

And yeah it's a Y plate so 3 plug. Confused
Thanks given by:
Yeah, try a continuity check on the pins and try wiggling the wires the sensor end.
Thanks given by:
Hi mate.
Just been viewing the you tube vid. Was your engine stone cold when trying to start, if so I noticed your glow plugs where not working. You need the glow plugs to start first thing in the morning as diesel is slow to burn and needs a bit of heat to start. I changed the G/low plug relay on mine at the back of the battery box, a pig of a job as you need to remove the tray as well. Maybe this will help.
Thanks given by:
No it wasn't stone cold, it had been running (hence no glow plug light). Smile.

You don't need glow plugs on a HDi anyway, it will start without them, just takes an extra couple of turns and will be a bit smokier. The plugs actually work without the light on also before people say theirs starts fine without lol.
Thanks given by:
Just to update...this is running now.... When I refitted the crank sensor plug I didn't fully push it in. Itwasntme

So was either the cam or crank sensor as I replaced both at the same time. No faults at all on PP2K now. Big Grin

However it did decide it wanted to be an XUD... Confused Was quite surprised as I'd never seen that sort of temp on a HDi... Guessing it's because I left the rad cap off so there was no pressure to blow the sensor out though lol. Ive just stuck it in with gasket sealant lol.

[Image: IMAG3427_zpscbdd991f.jpg]

Also note the lack of milage display, no idea how that's broken lol!
Thanks given by:
Could the lack of mileage display be the back light bulb?
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2014, 08:29 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Could the lack of mileage display be the back light bulb?

Don't think so. As when the time/temp bulbs blow you can see it from certain angles. Cant see this at all! Could try the bulb though.
Thanks given by:
Try shining a torch into it and see if you can see any number?
Thanks given by:
Blown fuse takes out the mileage. If the time click is out too look at the fuse, 28 I think but check my threads.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Time clock works fine... Confused

Think its a lose connection somewhere as half the bulbs only work after whacking the clocks. lol
Thanks given by: