Annoying Knocking / Scraping Noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annoying Knocking / Scraping Noise
Hi guys,

been really busy with 8am till 10pm shifts this week so havent had time to investigate but my car is driving me mad...

it has a knock / scrape noise when you turn it off and on and also when going round bends or over potholes (have to be quite bad).

it sounds like it is coming from underneath the handbrake area if that helps, but havent investigated yet.

i have a straight through exhaust system on the car so wondering if it is this knocking on the tunnel or maybe the rear engine mount is worn?

just any areas people could suggest to check or if anyone has had a similiar fault, its really bugging me and i have today off so its on the to do list

any help appretiated Smile
Thanks given by:
As you have surmised, it's most probably the exhaust knocking on the subframe or tunnel. I'd say it's more likely to br down to poor exhaust angles than knackered mounts.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-03-2014, 08:30 AM)Poodle Wrote: As you have surmised, it's most probably the exhaust knocking on the subframe or tunnel. I'd say it's more likely to br down to poor exhaust angles than knackered mounts.

whats bugging me with the exhaust though is it never knocked ont eh other 306 but is on this one so unsure as to why, must be something else wrong surely?

it also rattles on tickover which the garage couldnt figure out for some reason and it did not do that on the other car either

thanks
Thanks given by:
Odd, have you tried loosening the clamps and adjusting the mounts until it sits central?

Could be engine mounts, they're fairly easy to diagnose. Do you get knocking from the drivers side if you step on and off the accelerator quickly?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-03-2014, 02:21 PM)Poodle Wrote: Odd, have you tried loosening the clamps and adjusting the mounts until it sits central?

Could be engine mounts, they're fairly easy to diagnose. Do you get knocking from the drivers side if you step on and off the accelerator quickly?

not yet, shall go back to bush first and tell them to sort there lifes out...

its mainly when you go round bends and its getting worse, although sometimes it does it when u flick the car off or like you say on and off the accelerator..

however it sounds more like its coming from under the handbrake but was going change the rear mount see if that helps

thanks
Thanks given by:
Rekon a exhaust rubber has come off, not been fitted, or a connection has not been fitted and tightened correctly.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah, from your description that is almost certainly just a poorly fitted exhaust, should be fine with a bit of fettling.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(31-03-2014, 06:33 PM)Poodle Wrote: Yeah, from your description that is almost certainly just a poorly fitted exhaust, should be fine with a bit of fettling.

what i thought but obviously there is no mounts with no centre pipe on...

shall go to bush tomorrow shout and get it sorted, second time they have bodged the exhaust on my cars

thanks for help guys
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Annoying noise...lift pump? doogle-d turbo 12 2,010 24-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Mattinthehat
  knocking noise Scouse282 5 1,361 01-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Razorback_Rob
Sad Annoying knocking noise Bnmtuning 7 1,556 01-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Razorback_Rob