Cat for MOT

Poll: How to get decat through an MOT
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1. Dummy cat pipe
12.50%
2 12.50%
2. Weld shell on to current exhaust
25.00%
4 25.00%
3. Add a flange, swap out front pipe
6.25%
1 6.25%
4. Swap whole exhaust for mot
18.75%
3 18.75%
5. Other
37.50%
6 37.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat for MOT
Alright guys, I'm guessing this might be a problem for a few of us since the changes to the MOT guidelines, so I thought I'd start a thread.

So I, like many of you, have decatted my HDi. Unfortunately, unlike most, I didn't just butcher the cat, as I already had a stainless cat back, so I got a stainless decat front pipe.

Now, the new mot regs require a visual check for a cat, which obviously I will fail, so what's the best way of dealing with this? Shall i:

1. Make a dummy cat, with a pipe straight through the middle, and weld in place of a bit which i cut out of mine.

2. Attach a dummy cat to the outside of my exhaust, by cutting it down the middle, and then welding it shut on the outside of the pipe where the cat used to be.

3. Build some sort of front pipe I can take in and out for the MOT, by modifying my current system so it has a flange.

4. Get a full, standard system on the cheap (or borrow one?) and swap it at Mot time.

5. Other

How are you guys planning on dealing with it? Pain in the arse, but somehow it's got to be done.

Cheers fellas.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
i vote other!
slip the MOT tester a beer token Wink

mines running empty CAT as i knocked the centre out
visualy its there Wink
Thanks given by:
Either don't worry about it, or weld a "cat" around your current exhaust
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cable tie a cover so it cant be seen on the day. Take it back off again straight after.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Find a better mot station lol...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 06:13 PM)Tom Wrote: Find a friendly mot station and take a pack of beer

EFA
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Got told by vosa themselves the other day. As older cars go how did you know it was there as standard can the tester prove it? No has to pass.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Exactly that. ^^^

If you're that worried weld a shell around it. If the tester fails it it's because they're a lady garden, not because the mot guidelines say anything without a cat must fail - because they don't say that.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Also 90% of testers won't mind as long as it passes emmisions. If your a diesel your laughing if your car's before 2008 due to a massive amount of smoke aloud .
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
I've seen the exact notice, it clearly states that a cat must be present.

I would just use a pikey tester, but I like the garage I use, as they're incredibly anal, and they spot the stuff that I wouldn't, so I can sort it myself before it becomes an issue.
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 08:21 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: I've seen the exact notice, it clearly states that a cat must be present.

I would just use a pikey tester, but I like the garage I use, as they're incredibly anal, and they spot the stuff that I wouldn't, so I can sort it myself before it becomes an issue.

If fitted at time of manufacture, pre 94 dturbos didnt have filters fitted, they can't be expected to be retro fitted
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Considering its in the hdi section i would guess we arent talking about pre 94 cars so all will be expected to have a cat.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No I was just pointing out that it says all cars must have cats
Thanks given by:
Isn't this all in relation to dpf's anyway?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No cat as standard it states I can take PIC of special notice tomorrow and upload

It states not as states
Thanks given by:
Nope, cats too poodle.

Either way, that's not the point not here, the fact is that it's now an MOT fail to have a decat on an HDi, so how best to avoid immediate failure?
Thanks given by:
bloke i use for mots is pretty sound as long as it passes emissions he is okay.

if you moter is anal, i would either put a cover over it or like i did kept my old exhaust with cat, in your case borrow or buy one for mot time

suppose it depends how picky they are mate
Thanks given by:
ive mot'd my 306 hdi, on saturday and she passed, with just a mid to back box conversion, no cat, no back box Smile
Thanks given by:
At the end of the day to all down to the tester
Thanks given by:
I'm welding the cat casing off my original downpipe and cat onto my decat pipe. Should pass visuals and smoke test just fine Smile
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Only concern with that method is that the cat will be mild steel, whereas my exhaust is stainless, so it'll be introducing some nice corrosion into the system :/
Thanks given by:
Get a stainless one made then lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Can you get stainless cats? Wont they be a bit expensive to buy just to bash the insides out?
Thanks given by:
So you're buying a real cat rather than having the box welded around the outside? Seems a bit retarded if you're just going to empty it anyway...?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Kez find an exhaust place and ask them for a stainless "cat" /drevil
Thanks given by:
from what i understand from my last test as long as the exhaust is not blowing and emissions are fine it passes. mine had a cat on it but i done a decat and tester said nowt except it's really good on emissions lol.

guess does depend where you go
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by: