Issue selecting reverse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue selecting reverse
Hey guys I have an issue with my reverse gear. When I put it in reverse sometimes it doesn't select. So when I lift the clutch up it just doesn't move and you can have the clutch fully up and it doesn't budge. So I put it in neutral and put it in reverse again then it will work. I'm just not sure what's worng with it, any help will be great Smile thanks
Thanks given by:
Maybe it's because its french? lol

/uselesspost
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 05:40 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Maybe it's because its french? lol

/uselesspost

Haha possibly hoping it's an easy fix like metal gear linkages or something
Thanks given by:
It could be the auto adjuster on the clutch cable preventing you.

With the car in neutral, stamp on the clutch a few times, see if this fixes it.

If not, fully depress the clutch, and slip your foot off the edge of the pedal to send it shooting back up, a few times.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I thought this was just standard frenchness!
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 06:02 PM)Grant Wrote: It could be the auto adjuster on the clutch cable preventing you.

If not, fully depress the clutch, and slip your foot off the edge of the pedal to send it shooting back up, a few times.

I'll have to have a go at that, it's just annoying how it takes like 2 attempts just to put it in reverse haha
Thanks given by:
I do get the same thing from time to time, where the box won't quite engage reverse properly, i usually have to reselect it if it doesnt slot in as i lift the clutch pedal.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 06:44 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: I do get the same thing from time to time, where the box won't quite engage reverse properly, i usually have to reselect it if it doesnt slot in as i lift the clutch pedal.

Yeah this is what I have to do, I lift the clutch and it doesn't move so just have to reselect and then it's okay. Absolute pain
Thanks given by:
it's a standard issue with MA gearboxes, the split pin in the selector arm wears over time, added to the bushes in the linkages being pure french... sloppy gearstick and no reverse... a lot of people just remove the pin and replace it with a tight fitting bolt,
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 07:28 PM)John1.4 Wrote: it's a standard issue with MA gearboxes, the split pin in the selector arm wears over time, added to the bushes in the linkages being pure french... sloppy gearstick and no reverse... a lot of people just remove the pin and replace it with a tight fitting bolt,

The one at the base of the gear shaft? (giggedy)

If so; they're a bolt as standard...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Hmm I'm not sure if it's worth fixing, or just leave it and have a shitty reverse gear
Thanks given by:
Select it when you're still rolling slightly (assuming you're reverse parking?). I find at a complete stop mines a bugger to get into reverse, but it slips in fine at ~2mph! Big Grin Crunches at anything faster though, which is annoying, tight arse French not fitting synchro on reverse, didn't get that with the quality German motors! Infact I think it might be the lack of synchro that stops it sliding straight in the first time as its obviously not lined up right.
Thanks given by:
Double clutching to reverse is definitely the norm haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Haha good old French cars, my first car and I'm already using the excuse it's French Rofl
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 10:40 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Select it when you're still rolling slightly (assuming you're reverse parking?). I find at a complete stop mines a bugger to get into reverse, but it slips in fine at ~2mph! Big Grin Crunches at anything faster though, which is annoying, tight arse French not fitting synchro on reverse, didn't get that with the quality German motors! Infact I think it might be the lack of synchro that stops it sliding straight in the first time as its obviously not lined up right.

Correct Tom Its the lack of syncro which causes issues however there was a perfectly good reason why it grinds when your rolling and you try to select reverse...ever seen what happens to a car thats put into reverse by accident at speed?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-03-2014, 08:55 PM)Niall Wrote:
(12-03-2014, 10:40 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Select it when you're still rolling slightly (assuming you're reverse parking?). I find at a complete stop mines a bugger to get into reverse, but it slips in fine at ~2mph! Big Grin Crunches at anything faster though, which is annoying, tight arse French not fitting synchro on reverse, didn't get that with the quality German motors! Infact I think it might be the lack of synchro that stops it sliding straight in the first time as its obviously not lined up right.

Correct Tom Its the lack of syncro which causes issues however there was a perfectly good reason why it grinds when your rolling and you try to select reverse...ever seen what happens to a car thats put into reverse by accident at speed?

I came damn close to finding out the other day...

Out of habit, I overtook in 3rd, and at 60ish dropped it into 6th...crchcrchrhchrchr....oops, its only 5 speed... lol

Just lucky I didn't ram it in! Hand slipped off the knob so it bounced back to neutral.... lol
Thanks given by:
I was ragging my 1.5d, and went from 4th to 3rd Tongue Not the first time it's seen 6000rpm on the tacho either.

On my TU engined car, the nylon bush at the base of the geastick was worn, got another gear stick, combined with new linkages and it's like new.

roll pin wear isn't that common. But it's dead easy to check, just wiggle the gear linkage while looking at the pin.

Before selecting reverse, hold the clutch pedal down for 2 seconds to allow the shaft to stop spinning. it'll be 10x easier to put it into reverse Wink
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
(14-03-2014, 11:30 PM)Martin306 Wrote: Before selecting reverse, hold the clutch pedal down for 2 seconds to allow the shaft to stop spinning. it'll be 10x easier to put it into reverse Wink

That really isn't the issue here (or not for me anyway!). Its when you've been parked the wrong way and have to reverse out, it kinda goes half into reverse and no further, if you let the clutch up it 'scuffs' but doesn't engage at all. If you let the handbrake off and roll a bit it slips in perfect... It's easier to engage while the shaft is spinning slightly...a synchro would've solved it, shame they didn't bother with one. Confused
Thanks given by:
All of mine have done this when I first start the car. Try to put it in reverse its not quite there so try it again.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah it's a pain, I may replace the linkages for metal ones, that way it should change a little smoother Smile
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 09:23 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Yeah it's a pain, I may replace the linkages for metal ones, that way it should change a little smoother Smile

Notchy*

fixed that for you Wink

I didn't like mine, so just replaced with new standard linkages. I mean, they worked well for 100,000 so a new set could last just as long.
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 10:19 AM)Martin306 Wrote:
(15-03-2014, 09:23 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Yeah it's a pain, I may replace the linkages for metal ones, that way it should change a little smoother Smile

Notchy*

fixed that for you Wink

I didn't like mine, so just replaced with new standard linkages. I mean, they worked well for 100,000 so a new set could last just as long.

Yeah I need to do something to change the linkages haha
Thanks given by:
The linkages are already metal from the factory... Confused
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 01:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The linkages are already metal from the factory... Confused

Oh haha I thought they were a hard plastic
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 01:14 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The linkages are already metal from the factory... Confused

Durrrrrrrrr

They have nylon inserts you noob Tongue one would assume the "metal linkages" refer to the ones supplied by the likes of constella and kam racing etc. the "quick release" with the securing pin. They have no bushes in them and make the gears feel notchy.
Thanks given by:
Never assume anything. Wink

I have a set of Miles (PugRacing) uprated gear links though, and I don't find them notchy at all.... The added bonus is that they have clips so cant fall off!
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2014, 04:23 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Never assume anything. Wink

I have a set of Miles (PugRacing) uprated gear links though, and I don't find them notchy at all.... The added bonus is that they have clips so cant fall off!

They sound good Smile
Thanks given by:
I got rose jointed linkages and love them! Each to their own though.

Also the gear ting is standard procedure all the 306's I've owned have done it. I've got used to it now so doesn't bother me anymore but at the beginning was a serious jarr lol
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
I thought it was like that on purpose, to prevent selecting it by accident. Never really bothered me, if it's not broke, why fix it? XD
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 06:02 PM)Grant Wrote: It could be the auto adjuster on the clutch cable preventing you.

Did this today when I reversed my car out to clean it and it worked Smile
Thanks given by: