What Backbox?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Backbox?
So after fixing my aux belt today I noticed something else had broken on the car - the 'mushroom' on my Hoffmann backbox. To be fair, it was a cheap box, but it's only lasted about 9 months!

My current setup is a Hoffmann race tube and decat, so the only box in the exhaust is the backbox.

I want something with a nice looking tip and very little restriction, what do people recommend?

Oh, and nice and cheap haha!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
A pipe and a stainless tip.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it's just the tip that's broken off? If so, depending how much remains, why not just bolt your desired style of tip on or get it welded?
Thanks given by:
To be honest curt the Hoffmann box is designed to look OEM but is mild steel - tip isn't chrome plated. It also seems restrictive - I have no actual evidence to back this up other that when I took the downward pointing backbox off it seemed to smoke less and spool up a little slower (could be utter bollocks).

I would just go for a pipe Kentii but I have no other boxes or anyone I know that could weld one for me
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 12:26 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: To be honest curt the Hoffmann box is designed to look OEM but is mild steel - tip isn't chrome plated. It also seems restrictive - I have no actual evidence to back this up other that when I took the downward pointing backbox off it seemed to smoke less and spool up a little slower (could be utter bollocks).

I would just go for a pipe Kentii but I have no other boxes or anyone I know that could weld one for me

Yes good point, I have any old back box with mine that just has 2.5" tip. The inside have been stripped and a pipe welded in place. All passed mot ok
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 12:26 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: To be honest curt the Hoffmann box is designed to look OEM but is mild steel - tip isn't chrome plated. It also seems restrictive - I have no actual evidence to back this up other that when I took the downward pointing backbox off it seemed to smoke less and spool up a little slower (could be utter bollocks).

Did you chuck your old mid section?

I have a spare back box with a chrome tip. It's an old EPC one and I took it off when I did a back box mid box mod.

You can have it for £10 if you like?
Thanks given by:
Could you send me a pic? And no dude Mrs made me scrap the old pipe as apparently these things 'don't belong in the garden' or something like that...

You still cool to help with my beam swap in the near future (just in the middle of moving house)?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I'll sort some pics out and yep I can still come over and give you a hand. I'm going to be away for a week on the 24th.

I was in the garage earlier and I was thinking of taking some pics but didn't get around to it.

I've also got a mig welder if you would like to mod the back box.
Thanks given by:
Just weld on a rolled stainless tip from eBay? As the cheap back boxes tail pipe finish always look terrible after few a months
Thanks given by:
How loud will a straight pipe be on a HDi though? Don't want it to be too obvious!
Thanks given by:
Will any back box fit, or does it have to be 306-specific?! Feeling a bit stupid now.
Thanks given by:
It will be pretty loud.

Most will fit apart from the estate.

The petrol ones will give more back pressure, something you don't want on the turbo diesel.
Thanks given by: