The dog rough estate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The dog rough estate
Today I was giving my girlfriends 206 HDI an oil and filter change, while I was waiting for the oil to drain Adam (tigerstyle) popped over and dropped off some Swallows for me.

I stuck them on and put the new ABS sensor on while swapping wheels.

The car how it's looking at the moment.

[Image: IMG_20140518_175913_zpspvbhfhjc.jpg]

I will be giving it a wash after dinner as the alloys are filthy, being stored outside for the last year.

I thought the Swallows look pretty good on a slightly lower car.
Thanks given by:
Coming along nicely mate. Looks good
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks Lewis.

Looks like I won't be doing much more on this and I'll be concentrating on sorting my karts for the coming races.

I paid heavily in the last round of races for not doing any prep. It is true what they say races are won in the pits (workshop).
Thanks given by:
It's not looking so dog rough now.

[Image: IMG_20140519_085758_zpsgixey5fc.jpg]
Not the best photo but it's starting to look a bit more presentable now.
Thanks given by:
colour looks a bit off? Might be a good excuse to give the rest od the car a good detail if its supposed to be a match.

Does look well, like a different car although im not a fan of the wheels.
Thanks given by:
The wheels are just a stop gap at the moment.

The colour is off as the sun was shining in to the lens but the front door has been replaced by a previous owner.

The car does need a good cutting back and polish also the paint is in a bad way. The main jobs are getting out the way now so I'll be trying to get a bit more of a shine in to the paint soon.
Thanks given by:
Looking respectable now. Wheels look fine really. Better than the steels IMHO. Like you said, a good detail and that will help the paint.

How is it starting now? Is it behaving?

As always, hats off to you for the amount of work you've put in ThumbsUp always jump to see the updates on this project.
Thanks given by:
Thanks mr_fish, the starter issue has gone since I used contact cleaner on the brown relay multi plug or it might be because the weather has got warmer? I've not fitted the replacement just yet.

I've ordered a cheap volt meter of eBay and I'm thinking of making a take off from the pump supply to see if the voltage to the LP pump fluctuates. But the engine spins over nice and fast now.

I've still not fitted the ARB drop link yet that and a boost gauge will be fitted this weekend.

I keep saying I won't do any more on this but I keep thinking of little jobs to be done.

The exhaust on my hatchback has been knocking for the last month but I keep putting my time into the estate instead of sorting that.

I should be getting some 16" alloys soon to put on this but if the ride becomes to hard I might go back to the Swallows. It's funny how the brake discs fill the Swallows.
Thanks given by:
I thought the car looked pretty good today so I thought I'd take a pic to share.

[Image: IMG_20140523_124409_zpsctlm40wa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Doesn't even look like the same car! Well done pal still running okay?
Thanks given by:
Dog rough no more. Love the fact u didnt just strip this for parts or scrap it. Think of it this way u r upcycling Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, yeah it seems to be running pretty well at the moment Lewis. The turbo sounds a bit loud but I'm not sure if it's not me use to a kkk turbo as my hatchback has a garret.

I've still got to fit that drop link and there are still a few jobs to do on it.

Tom, I don't think there was anything of value on the car and it was fit for the scrapyard.

There seems to be some water getting in from the rear so I need to investigate that, I hope it's not a rust hole in the rear quarter.
Thanks given by:
If its rusty there weld it up. I welded mine and other halfs.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I will do. It hassle that I don't want but I've done everything else so I might as well do that to.

That would be funny if I close the thread next week because I've scrapped the car because of a rusty hole.
Thanks given by:
Itd be a shame if you did. All that effort
Thanks given by:
Hats off to you mate, been keeping a eye on this. I thought I had my work out cut on bringing my gti6 back on road. But this is another level.

It's a good feeling bringing a car new life!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-05-2014, 05:05 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: Hats off to you mate, been keeping a eye on this. I thought I had my work out cut on bringing my gti6 back on road. But this is another level.

It's a good feeling bringing a car new life!

Thanks, there is a lot more I would like to do to it but I really have to stop myself as they're not essential, I just need to start using it now and concentrate on my karting, also the the hatchback could do with a few jobs doing now.

I'm lucky I didn't have to do any major engine work on it.

It seem to be pretty good on fuel at the moment, I've done 350 miles so far on 40 litres and I've still got quarter of a tank left.
Thanks given by:
My turbo is quite loud, but I kinda like it.
Thanks given by:
Mine just annoys me as I keep thinking it's going to fail.

Guess what... I've found more things wrong.

Looks like the heater matrix is leaking, I found the passenger carpet wet and had that coolant smell.
The thermostat housing is still leaking even though I replaced the top and the gasket.
I've also found rust above the NSR wheel arch.

I think the water coming from the rear was ether coming from a badly installed rear light cluster or a badly routed cable for the trailer socket.

I've reseated the light cluster and sealed up the hole that the cable came through.

Today I've also had a look at the squealing heater motor.

I keep saying I'm not going to do any more on this car but I just can't help myself.

Sealed up this bung and around the cable
[Image: IMG_20140525_150938_zpsqtm0meav.jpg]

I was tapping the rust with a screw driver and the first place I tapped the screw driver went straight through. I've just used duct tape over it for now to stop the water getting in but I will be cutting a section out of a car out the scrap yard and welding that in soon.
[Image: IMG_20140525_145753_zpsegbxgwdr.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What else can be wrong with a 306, I think I've had it all on this car.
Thanks given by:
Ive got a nasty oil leak at the moment and just cant work out where its coming from.
Thanks given by:
Have you had a look underneath or is it drips on the floor?
Thanks given by:
(25-05-2014, 08:26 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Have you had a look underneath or is it drips on the floor?

Yeah its all underneath, dripping from the gearbox drain plug, but oil seems to be everywhere, its on the sump too Confused check out my thread i put pics of where the oil is
Thanks given by:
Coming on well Dee!!

Must admit I'm surprised theres not more rust on that rear arch though!
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom.

I did have a feel up there in the arch and it felt ok with lots of under seal there so I was a bit surprised to see it like this.

Tom have you replaced a heater matrix before, if so how long did it take you?

I was planning on doing it today but no one had one in stock.
Thanks given by:
I haven't replaced a matrix, but have removed plenty lol. Easily done in a day, that's from unlocking the car to having it full bled up, probably half a day if you don't have any problems....but it's a Peugeot, there will be problems lol.

I can strip a dash pretty quickly now though, know where all the bolts are etc, and the matrix itself is extremely easy...just check nothings underneath it. I found the matrix housing cracked on my old estate....it turned out whoever had done the matrix before had shoved the new one in, on top of a pound coin!! Confused I guess a kid had pushed it through a vent or something lol and it dropped under the matrix as the old one was removed. I gained a pound from that though lol.
Thanks given by:
Not updated in awhile but lots of things have gone on, a break down, crash and more repairs!

So when I last updated I was talking about a heater matrix replacement, that all went well.

[Image: IMG_20140531_193432_zpsdqxwkhmr.jpg]

I can't get over how much rust there is inside the car.

I think the head gasket is on its way out to and the amount of pressure in the cooling system is ridiculous and I think that's the reason why the matrix started leaking as it was leaking from a joint in the unit. Also the reason why I was getting a leak on the thermostat housing.

About that I made a brace to go over the housing to put a bit of pressure on the longer span of the housing.

[Image: IMG_20140528_144628_zpsve4aryzu.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140528_144823_zps32fp8fum.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140528_144934_zps2foqk6is.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140528_181502_zpscfo6xq5r.jpg]

Anyway the housing doesn't leak any more. I think if the head gasket gets worse I'll just swap the engine out as I can't see the point in repairing the gasket on a high mileage engine that has been the neglected like this one.

I've fitted a new condenser and got the system vacuum checked at work.
[Image: IMG_20140602_170208_zpsc540leza.jpg]

It went ok, so took it to the garage to get it regassed. The automated procedure went well till the guy started the car and turned on the AC. He said he turned round to see smoke coming from the car! He thought the compressor had seize and the smoke was coming from the belt. I asked them to take the gas out so I could get a replacement pump but I found that when I now press the AC button you can hear the clutch on the pump engage and it looks like the pump is turning ok.

What I have found is the rad fans don't work at all. I think the smoke he saw was off the condenser as it was new, probably getting very hot and burning off the protective oil that came on it.

Today I got some replacement fans, I had to swap over just the fans as the cowling the replacement fans came in were broken.

I also found loads of corrosion on the plug. I thought that was the reason at first so after cleaning the connectors I could hear the relays clicking but no fans turning.

I then checked them with a multimeter and they were both dead.

I've also got around to putting some speakers in to front doors, the original ones that came with my hatchback. I think this might have a detrimental effect on the weather tightness of the car.

I've got some Alpines to go in at a later date and an amp to power them.

On Sunday some twat playing with his phone drove into the back of me. Luckily there didn't seem to be any damage to the estate but I'm going to see what it looks like under the bumper.

[Image: caf63daa-669b-47e6-a336-cb58cf5524ee_zps8350d709.jpg]

He lost a fog light, the tow eye punched hole in the number plate and bumper. He was lucky that he hit to the side as the tow bar would have made a mess of his car.
Thanks given by:
Little update.

Got the aircon regassed today and it all runs as it should, lovely and cold.

I also picked up a VTS rear beam for it's 21mm bars that I'll be swapping on to the estate so the back end doesn't drop so much when it's fully loaded with karting stuff.

The pressuring of the cooling system is really starting to worry me as the rubber pipes are rock solid after a drive now. I bet one of them will pop at the worst possible moment.

I'm racing up in Cumbria at the end of next month so probably on the way up there.
Thanks given by:
I had a HG issue with my previous engine, same symptoms & it worked out cheaper to put a second hand engine into it for the meantime
Thanks given by:
Really like the effort you have put into this I would just put another engine in you can easily pick one up for £150.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by: